Anybody want a banana?

Lady Jet

I have eighteen of them.

Why? Well, it's not that I have some kind of banana fetish or anything. I mean, I like them and all, and so does my family, but I don't think we can eat all eighteen. Sure, I could make four or more banana cream pies, or my family could have a Rice Krispie with banana eating contest, but ...I still don't think we can eat all eighteen.

I know, you're probably wondering "well why the heck did you buy eighteen bananas?"

It's simple, really. I was going to bring them in to my youngest daughter's elementary school today for their ice-cream sundae party, but.... there was no school today.

Why? Oh, cuz it's senior prank day. Now I don't know if it was a senior(s) or not, but somebody decided it would be really funny to break into the bus garage, board the buses, and spray all the bus fire estinguishers throughout most of the bus fleet.

Ah... good times, good times, and funny stuff.

So most of the buses were rendered useless, and thus, no school.

It should have been the high school students last day of school. I have two there, both juniors. No last day of school for them, it's straight to the regents exams.

The senior picnic? Cancelled. All the food, donated to the local homeless shelter.

It was field day, (a fun filled day) for one of our elementary schools. Cancelled.

My youngest daughter's flag day concert. Cancelled.

My oldest daughter's in school English exam. ?????

My son's in school Anatomy exam. ??????

Oh, and I have eighteen bananas. You want one?

Hello, and welcome to another edition of Midnight Q. Tonight we're gonna enjoy some jazz from Charles Mingus. Norman Maylor's here to read an excerpt from his latest work. And we also have a girl from Omaha hiding a banana. We're gonna find out where. Giggity giggity giggity goo. Stick around.

sing a song, of course ;)

Day-o, day-ay-ay-o

Daylight come and he wan' go home

Day, he say day, he say day, he say day, he say day, he say day-ay-ay-o

Daylight come and he wan' go home

Work all night on a drink a'rum

(Daylight come and he wan' go home)

Stack banana till morning come

Come, Mr. Tally Mon, tally me banana

It's six foot, seven foot, eight foot, BUNCH!

Six foot, seven foot, eight foot, BUNCH!

Day, he say day-ay-ay-o

(daylight come and he wa'n go home)

Day, he say day, he say day, he say day, he say day, he say day

A beautiful bunch a'ripe banana

(daylight come and he wan' go home)

Hide thee Deadly black tarantula

It's six foot, seven foot, eight foot, BUNCH!

Six foot, seven foot, eight foot, BUNCH!

Day, he say day-ay-ay-o

Day, he say day, he say day, he say day, he say day, he say day

Day-o, day-ay-ay-o

Day, he say day, he say day, he say day, he say day, he say day-ay-ay-o

I have eighteen of them.

Why? Well, it's not that I have some kind of banana fetish or anything. I mean, I like them and all, and so does my family, but I don't think we can eat all eighteen. Sure, I could make four or more banana cream pies, or my family could have a Rice Krispie with banana eating contest, but ...I still don't think we can eat all eighteen.

I know, you're probably wondering "well why the heck did you buy eighteen bananas?"

It's simple, really. I was going to bring them in to my youngest daughter's elementary school today for their ice-cream sundae party, but.... there was no school today.

Why? Oh, cuz it's senior prank day. Now I don't know if it was a senior(s) or not, but somebody decided it would be really funny to break into the bus garage, board the buses, and spray all the bus fire estinguishers throughout most of the bus fleet.

Ah... good times, good times, and funny stuff.

So most of the buses were rendered useless, and thus, no school.

It should have been the high school students last day of school. I have two there, both juniors. No last day of school for them, it's straight to the regents exams.

The senior picnic? Cancelled. All the food, donated to the local homeless shelter.

It was field day, (a fun filled day) for one of our elementary schools. Cancelled.

My youngest daughter's flag day concert. Cancelled.

My oldest daughter's in school English exam. ?????

My son's in school Anatomy exam. ??????

Oh, and I have eighteen bananas. You want one?

1965thirty%20.jpg

30,000 pounds, of bananas

Yeah, it is a true story. harry didn't just make up the lyrics to the tune. It actually occurred in 1965. And that is my fact of the day.

While i am talking about Harry Chapin, i have to express my love for his music, and in particular two verses of lyrics from one of his songs. if you don't know who Harry Chapin is, you can read his biography, or just know he was a singer/songwriter from late 60's. He donated a lot of money from all of his shows to world hunger organizations, and wrote not one, but two songs about taxis. ANYWAYS, he has one song that has been stuck in my mind all week now:

And he's got Guthrie running in his bones...

There's Seeger singing in his heart...

And now there's Dylan dripping from his mouth....

Playing 1-4-5 chords like good news

I don;t know what it is exactly about these lyrics, but they just hold emotions of hope, joy and rebellion to me. That image of a kid sitting on the edge of his bed, with an acoustic guitar, he has his headphones on, strumming along to the simple 1-4-5 chord structures singing Guthrie's "This Land Is Your Land," dreaming of changing the world with your voice and a box that makes music. If you don't know who Guthrie, Seeger or Dylan is, please, do yourself a favor and find out. While you are at it, listen to some Phil Ochs and Billy Bragg. The lyrics are from a tune, "There Only Was one Choice."

It's becoming more apparent to me that senior 'prank' day is far from that. It is over the top, let's see how we can top last year's crap day. When it disrupts multiple classes, it is not a prank.

Now go make me a sundae!

Archived