Bettman tries to boot the Dolans

Bugg

No one to root for here; biggest a-hole commissioner vs. biggest a-hole owner-

Thursday, June 19, 2008

In letter, NHL threatens to kick MSG out of league

Associated Press

NEW YORK -- The NHL is threatening to kick the owners of the New York Rangers out of the league as punishment for accusing league officials of violating antitrust laws.

The NHL filed court papers Wednesday that included a draft letter from commissioner Gary Bettman proposing discipline against Madison Square Garden, L.P. that could lead to suspension or termination of its ownership of the Rangers.

In its court filing, the NHL asked a judge to agree Madison Square Garden breached its contract by challenging league rules.

Madison Square Garden sued the NHL in September, saying it violated antitrust laws by monopolizing control of team promotions. A judge ruled in November that the league seemed within its rights to take control of the team's Web site.

Madison Square Garden, L.P., which is owned by Cablevision Systems Corp., owns the Rangers, the NBA's New York Knicks, the WNBA's New York Liberty and several venues, including Madison Square Garden -- the home of the Rangers, Knicks and Liberty.

Messages left with Madison Square Garden officials were not immediately returned.

Thursday, June 19, 2008

In letter, NHL threatens to kick MSG out of league

Associated Press

NEW YORK -- The NHL is threatening to kick the owners of the New York Rangers out of the league as punishment for accusing league officials of violating antitrust laws.

The NHL filed court papers Wednesday that included a draft letter from commissioner Gary Bettman proposing discipline against Madison Square Garden, L.P. that could lead to suspension or termination of its ownership of the Rangers.

In its court filing, the NHL asked a judge to agree Madison Square Garden breached its contract by challenging league rules.

Madison Square Garden sued the NHL in September, saying it violated antitrust laws by monopolizing control of team promotions. A judge ruled in November that the league seemed within its rights to take control of the team's Web site.

Madison Square Garden, L.P., which is owned by Cablevision Systems Corp., owns the Rangers, the NBA's New York Knicks, the WNBA's New York Liberty and several venues, including Madison Square Garden -- the home of the Rangers, Knicks and Liberty.

Messages left with Madison Square Garden officials were not immediately returned.

Maybe Bettman isnt such a moron after all.

Let's not get carried away. He and Jim Dolan together would be hard-pressed to change a tire. A mutual effort grilled cheese sandwich would be totally out of the question.

That was my initial thought :). I still blame that POS Dolan for the Jets NOT having their own stadium on the West Side. That alone , in my book, makes him a bigger ahule than Bettman.

Too bad the idiotic Dolan's didn't piss off the NBA.

I wish I could say "Give him Time" but Stern, next to Pud Selig is probably the biggest puss in all of sports.

Kudos to Bettman. I have often wondered at times if he had a friggin clue but if he can get Dolan and MSG out of the NHL that would suprass Stienbrenner's two year suspension in 1990.

The Dolans are responsible for the pitiful state of the Knicks. Only the Rangers finally focusing on younger players have turned them around. And they screwed the Jets plans but how can you throw them out as ownwers without criminal reasons?

Archived