A reminder to all pats fans.

Arsis

I think he's funny. :P

Here's something for you to really hate on (http://www.barstoolsports.com/article/why_does_boston_dominate_world/2396/) :

Why does Boston dominate the world of sports? Because we're *******s.

by Pete P. Powers (power@barstoolsports.com)

Go to Wrigley Field and spend the game at one of the bars surrounding the ballpark. Spend the game packed shoulder to shoulder with diehard Cubs fans. Pound beers and sweat profusely. Realize that only in Chicago can your fat, deathly pale white body be considered "in shape." And then watch as minus a few half-hearted groans and head shakes, no one really gets upset if the Cubs drop the game.

Go to any bar in Boston after an April Red Sox loss to the Kansas City Royals. The only group of people angrier than Boston sports fans after a loss is a group of menopausal Hillary Clinton supporters stuck on a non-air conditioned Green Line train on a 90 degree day. And Barack Obama would have to go on live television, invite Hillary onto the stage, hand her some laundry, tell her to "go light on the starch, sugar****," and slap her on the ass as she walks away to approach the level of anger of a Boston sports fan if the Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics and dare I say, Bruins, lose a meaningful or postseason game.

But you know what-- our anger has been good for this city and it's helped turn our teams into the perennial championship contenders they are today. There are plenty of sports cities in America that should rival Boston in terms of the quality of our teams-- New York, Philadelphia, Chicago and LA quickly come to mind-- because let's face it: Every professional sports team in a major media market is essentially equal in resources.

So what makes Boston so dominant in the world of sports? It's not because our fake Irish pub industry is growing exponentially or because the Freedom Trail in February is the place to be.

Certainly, a very large part of Boston's sports success rests with the decision-makers and owners of our sports teams. No one doubts that. Whether it's Bob Kraft or John Henry or Wyc Grousbeck, we're incredibly fortunate to have them here. Same thing for Theo Epstein or Bill Belichick and Scott Pioli.

But Boston doesn't attract owners like Kraft and Henry or decision-makers like Belichick and Epstein without the passion-- and sometimes it is most definitely completely scary-- of the fans. Even Kraft and Epstein, longtime fans of the teams they've built into champions, aren't delusional enough to invest their money, time and energy into a lost cause.

And that's where fans come in. By definition, fans believe in lost causes. Our fanhood isn't rational (or at least it shouldn't be). We're fans because we grew up with these teams, not because they were always the best but because they're the teams our fathers, brothers and friends rooted for. There was simply no other choice than to be a Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics and Bruins fan.

So when Boston's teams flatlined in the 1990's, there was a lot of anger. And as we watched hated rivals win championships or upstart teams from soulless subdivision cities of the South capture trophies we had waited decades or lifetimes for, we got pissed. And so we became-- or maybe more accurately embraced-- our *******ness.

And wouldn't you know it-- once we became loud mouth *******s, demanding championships and accountability from owners and general managers, our teams started winning.

Now some, like The Globe's Dan Shaughnessy, dismiss all fans as basement-dwelling virgins who don't have the superior intellect to understand that being disappointed when your team loses is considered a mild form of mental retardation. We're biased, Dan will say, and we don't want anyone to ruin our heroes or cast doubts on our teams. Which is a valid point, especially coming from a member of the media. Because sportswriters are born without the gene which creates bias. They are paragons of truth and justice and the most objective creatures on God's green earth.

But the truth is that Boston's fans aren't all virgins (unlike the Cameron Crazies) or lunatics. They just expect their teams to win and what the hell is the matter with that? Aren't professional sports teams supposed to win? Aren't people hired to do a job expected to do that job the right way and produce the expected result? If you hire a carpenter to build a deck, do you pat him on the back when he's halfway done and tell him to stop working? Why then should we accept anything less than a win from professional athletes paid to do just that?

That attitude and our willingness to be *******s when other sports fans are content to oh-so-timid-seat-warmers have played a big role in this city's sports success. Because we demand excellence and make our displeasure known (and the emergence of blogs and websites has definitely helped in that regard), the owners and decision-makers know that their financial success rests largely with our happiness. And we're happiest and willing to spend money when our teams win. Real shocking.

But travel to other cities and hang out with other fans and you'll realize that our attitude is very unique to Boston. Other fans are perpetually just happy to be there. Us-- we're never the type of fans who are happy to just be there. We're a bunch of *******s. We expect our teams to win. And we accept nothing short of that. And what do you know-- our teams win.Peter Powers

i thought arsis was just going to put a huge * in the content of the thread. :)

Nahh, just a reminder on how the **** the bed on the superbowl when it counted and they couldn't spy. I'll save the triple * for next time.

Nahh, just a reminder on how the **** the bed on the superbowl when it counted and they couldn't spy. I'll save the triple * for next time.

...it amazes me to this day that they actually won 18 games without spying! I bet BB has xray vision and a microchip processor in his brain. Yah - that must be it.

...it amazes me to this day that they actually won 18 games without spying! I bet BB has xray vision and a microchip processor in his brain. Yah - that must be it.

Without spying, they never would have assembled the team that won 18 games without spying.

Just a suggestion, Blackout, but your sig pic - although fantastic for a Giants/Jets/Celtics/Lakers fan such as yourself because of the miraculousness of it - it's not Eli's best. The pass is clearly over-thrown and it's caught with a helmet. It certainly does not lend much credeance to your assertion that Eli is the next coming of Peyton ;) - unless, of course, Brett goes to the Jets - then Mr. Favre becomes Gawd. Hmmm, wonder what would happen if Paul Pierce becomes a Clipper and Kobe goes to the Spurs? Would your head explode?

Archived