Jets-Browns Postgame notes

gangreenman

Okay, first of all I'd like to say that the rain delay screwed me up big time....I had to be somewhere at 9pm, so therefore was not able to catch the last 5 mins of the 1st quarter and the remainder of the game live. I did TIVO it, and will watch it all at somepoint later on today.

Anyway, I jotted down some notes and wanted to share some thoughts, especially for the people who didn't catch the game.

First and foremost, our newest addition, Brett Favre, was on the sidelines during the game, sporting a white Jets hat and t-shirt. He was fist spotted in the tunnel walking towards the field, smiling and joking around with General Manager Mike Tannenbaum. He was also seen at various points, talking to Kellen Clemens, and CBS even showed a 'highlight' of him talking and joking around with Coles - who did not play - at the corner of the endzone prior to the game. Meanwhile, Tannenbaum was interviewed immediately before the game, and told us nothing we didn't already know... Talk didn't really "heat up" until 24 hours before, when the opportunity presented itself, we "went after it, talked to a lot of people a lot of times, and ended up with a smiling Brett Favre in New York."

Anyway, enough with Favre, for now...On to the game.

The Jets received the first kickoff, and to no surprise, the two kick returners the Jets sent out with the 1st unit were Leon and Miller. From what I saw (until the rain delay, each fielded one kickoff and took it back about the same distance (20 yards).

On offense, our unit looked something like this:

QB: Kellen Clemens

RB: Thomas Jones

LT: D'Brickeshaw Ferguson

LG: Alan Faneca

C: Nick Mangold

RG: Brandon Moore

RT: Damien Woody

TE1: Chris Baker

TE2: Bubba Franks

WR1: Jerricho Cotchery

WR2: Brad Smith

Not too many surprises there, although some may have expected Keller to get the start over Bubba... As for Brad Smith, he is replacing the injured Coles, and is probably the backup #1/2 WR, as I don't picture him being very good in the slot.

As for how they looked....well, I didn't see them pass once on 1st down. Instead, we handed off a bunch to Thomas Jones, who probably averaged about 3-4 yards per carry, from what I saw. No, not too many reps for Leon with the 1st team, although he did make his first appearance on a 3rd and short on the first drive, we lined up Jones in the backfield and split Leon and Stuckey and Smith out to one side and Cotchery on the other. Leon recieved a 3 yard pass and came up just short of a 1st down....We then failed to convert on 4th and short the next play.

However, one huge plus was that Clemens had LOADS and LOADS of time in the pocket for almost every pass he threw. To be fair, Cleveland was only rushing the front 4, but it was still a noticeable upgrade over last year's group.

Okay on to defense...Here was the starting lineup:

DE: Shaun Ellis

NT: Kris Jenkins

DE: Kenyon Coleman

OLB: Bryan Thomas

ILB: Eric Barton

ILB: Brad Kassel

OLB: Calvin Pace

CB: Darelle Revis

CB: Justin Miller

S: Kerry Rhodes

S: Eric Smith

-------

Again, not too many surprises...ILB David Harris didn't play due to injury, and was replaced by Kassel. This came as a bit of a surprise to me as I heard that Bowens was having a great camp thus far and thought maybe he would get rewarded for it.

This revamped defense unfortunately did NOT look at all impressive to me. In fact, I had to check and make sure this wasn't some replay of one of last year's games. Jamal Lewis started things off for the Browns with a 12 yard run right up the gut... Andersen then hit Donte Stallworth on a nice underneath route over the middle for about 6 yards, despite being rather well guarded by Darelle Revis. Then he connects with Stallworth again towards the sideline, as he this time manuevered his way around Justin Miller for a gain of 5. Next, Anderson dropped back for a Play Action, and despite the Jets 7 man rush, nobody came within eons of the QB, and Andersen released a bomb over Edwards' head, who completely burned JMiller(who was flagged for Pass Interference)...

It was then, on 1st and 10 from the 12, that the Jets CS for some reason decides to send out an incredibly odd package that looked something like this:

DE: Vernon Gholston

NT: CJ Mosley

LB: Calvin Pace

LB: Eric Barton

6 DB's lined up in the endzone.

The pocket opens up for Andersen, who sneeks it for about 10 yards, and give the Browns an easy 1st and goal from the 2. After Jamal Lewis picks up nothing on 2 carries, Anderson does a quick drop and throws behind the well-guarded Braylon Edwards, who makes a miraculous turn-around, one handed grab to put the Browns up a Touchdown.

Yeah, it didn't look pretty.

The offense then ran one more 1st down play (another run to TJones out of a 2 TE Formation that went for about 3 yards) before the game was delayed due to rain/t-storms, thus forcing me to miss the remainder of the game.

Thanks for reading... I'll be back with some more notes and thoughts tomorrow..err... Later on today.

Shaun Ellis didn't play.

Half of these guys are first-time true starters here (or are not the regular starters or haven't played in a year):

Ellis (missed the game)

Jenkins (new)

Pace (new)

Harris (missed the game)

Miller (missed the season in 2007)

E.Smith (wasn't the starter in 12 games last year)

Given the new (or relatively new) faces, and the two key missing starters, and the fact that this is pre-season & they're only going to show vanilla stuff out there, I wouldn't exactly expect them to resemble the dominance of the 2000 Ravens.

I expected a little better, but in hindsight it was understandable that they looked weak.

Yeah i hear ya about that rain delay. i had to be at a show at 10 and couldnt pull myself away but i had to miss the end of the 3rd and the 4th. The little that i noticed:

Most of the bad play seemed to be rust and getting the preseason jitters. That seemed really apparent with Justin Miller and his coverage. Clemens' 1st drive started out good but they rushed that 4th down play trying to catch the Browns off gaurd and in the end shot themselves in the foot. Hopefully they take that into account.

I didnt see any kind of holes for Jones which was the most surprising. I expected him to get at least one clear run but he didnt go anywhere. Again its the 1st preaseason game so it will be nice to see them develop.

Ratliff and Clowney were awesome. Stucky had a good catch too. It was nice to see Baker get a catch, especially after all the garbage.

Can't wait to see Farve behind the controls. Hopefully he gets a few snaps against the Skins.

Shaun Ellis didn't play.

Half of these guys are first-time true starters here (or are not the regular starters or haven't played in a year):

Ellis (missed the game)

Jenkins (new)

Pace (new)

Harris (missed the game)

Miller (missed the season in 2007)

E.Smith (wasn't the starter in 12 games last year)

Given the new (or relatively new) faces, and the two key missing starters, and the fact that this is pre-season & they're only going to show vanilla stuff out there, I wouldn't exactly expect them to resemble the dominance of the 2000 Ravens.

I expected a little better, but in hindsight it was understandable that they looked weak.

Also, offenses always outperform defenses early on in preseason and TC before the Defense can get all the coverage audibles and line calls right. Also the defense usually shows basic, vanilla cover 2 packages etc, with not much trickery behind it.

Hopefully they can gel and get their acts together before Miami week 1.

gholsten sucked,pace didn`t do anything special. no one could block jenkins. lowery will start opposite revis,and our o-line will be one of the best in the league.

p.s. brett farve didn`t look to excited about playing in NY. almost as if he felt he made a mistake.

Okay, first of all I'd like to say that the rain delay screwed me up big time....I had to be somewhere at 9pm, so therefore was not able to catch the last 5 mins of the 1st quarter and the remainder of the game live. I did TIVO it, and will watch it all at somepoint later on today.

Anyway, I jotted down some notes and wanted to share some thoughts, especially for the people who didn't catch the game.

First and foremost, our newest addition, Brett Favre, was on the sidelines during the game, sporting a white Jets hat and t-shirt. He was fist spotted in the tunnel walking towards the field, smiling and joking around with General Manager Mike Tannenbaum. He was also seen at various points, talking to Kellen Clemens, and CBS even showed a 'highlight' of him talking and joking around with Coles - who did not play - at the corner of the endzone prior to the game. Meanwhile, Tannenbaum was interviewed immediately before the game, and told us nothing we didn't already know... Talk didn't really "heat up" until 24 hours before, when the opportunity presented itself, we "went after it, talked to a lot of people a lot of times, and ended up with a smiling Brett Favre in New York."

Anyway, enough with Favre, for now...On to the game.

The Jets received the first kickoff, and to no surprise, the two kick returners the Jets sent out with the 1st unit were Leon and Miller. From what I saw (until the rain delay, each fielded one kickoff and took it back about the same distance (20 yards).

On offense, our unit looked something like this:

QB: Kellen Clemens

RB: Thomas Jones

LT: D'Brickeshaw Ferguson

LG: Alan Faneca

C: Nick Mangold

RG: Brandon Moore

RT: Damien Woody

TE1: Chris Baker

TE2: Bubba Franks

WR1: Jerricho Cotchery

WR2: Brad Smith

Not too many surprises there, although some may have expected Keller to get the start over Bubba... As for Brad Smith, he is replacing the injured Coles, and is probably the backup #1/2 WR, as I don't picture him being very good in the slot.

As for how they looked....well, I didn't see them pass once on 1st down. Instead, we handed off a bunch to Thomas Jones, who probably averaged about 3-4 yards per carry, from what I saw. No, not too many reps for Leon with the 1st team, although he did make his first appearance on a 3rd and short on the first drive, we lined up Jones in the backfield and split Leon and Stuckey and Smith out to one side and Cotchery on the other. Leon recieved a 3 yard pass and came up just short of a 1st down....We then failed to convert on 4th and short the next play.

However, one huge plus was that Clemens had LOADS and LOADS of time in the pocket for almost every pass he threw. To be fair, Cleveland was only rushing the front 4, but it was still a noticeable upgrade over last year's group.

-------

Again, not too many surprises...ILB David Harris didn't play due to injury, and was replaced by Kassel. This came as a bit of a surprise to me as I heard that Bowens was having a great camp thus far and thought maybe he would get rewarded for it.

This revamped defense unfortunately did NOT look at all impressive to me. In fact, I had to check and make sure this wasn't some replay of one of last year's games. Jamal Lewis started things off for the Browns with a 12 yard run right up the gut... Andersen then hit Donte Stallworth on a nice underneath route over the middle for about 6 yards, despite being rather well guarded by Darelle Revis. Then he connects with Stallworth again towards the sideline, as he this time manuevered his way around Justin Miller for a gain of 5. Next, Anderson dropped back for a Play Action, and despite the Jets 7 man rush, nobody came within eons of the QB, and Andersen released a bomb over Edwards' head, who completely burned JMiller(who was flagged for Pass Interference)...

It was then, on 1st and 10 from the 12, that the Jets CS for some reason decides to send out an incredibly odd package that looked something like this:

DE: Vernon Gholston

NT: CJ Mosley

LB: Calvin Pace

LB: Eric Barton

6 DB's lined up in the endzone.

The pocket opens up for Andersen, who sneeks it for about 10 yards, and give the Browns an easy 1st and goal from the 2. After Jamal Lewis picks up nothing on 2 carries, Anderson does a quick drop and throws behind the well-guarded Braylon Edwards, who makes a miraculous turn-around, one handed grab to put the Browns up a Touchdown.

Yeah, it didn't look pretty.

The offense then ran one more 1st down play (another run to TJones out of a 2 TE Formation that went for about 3 yards) before the game was delayed due to rain/t-storms, thus forcing me to miss the remainder of the game.

Thanks for reading... I'll be back with some more notes and thoughts tomorrow..err... Later on today.

in the 12 yard run - #70 Devito was blown off the line replacing Ellis and they ran right thru that and then got further into backfield because Kassel could not get through the guard. 2 big pieces missing from the D harris/ellis - + i would not be too critical yet if this kinda thing happens in 3rd pre-season I will worry.

Also, offenses always outperform defenses early on in preseason and TC before the Defense can get all the coverage audibles and line calls right. Also the defense usually shows basic, vanilla cover 2 packages etc, with not much trickery behind it.

Hopefully they can gel and get their acts together before Miami week 1.

is that true? i would have thought it would be the other way around. Can't say i watch too much preseason.

Archived