49'ers name starting qb...

gg

KFFL Breaking News

O'Sullivan named starter

Matt Maiocco, of The Santa Rosa Press Democrat, reports San Francisco 49ers head coach Mike Nolan has named QB J.T. O'Sullivan the starting quarterback for the regular season.

how far has alex smiths stock fallen??? :shock:

Wasn't this announced last week?

Smith is a bust, in the same league as Ryan Leaf. He's shown very little to have anyone believe he could even be a good backup, he could be out of the league very soon. I knew things were rough when he was going to battle with JT O Sullivan and Shaun ****ing Hill but now he's completely screwed.

That's too bad, I was hoping Shaun Hill would win the job. I actually shot pool with him several years ago. He was a pretty big fan of himself but it would still be cool to say you shot pool with a starting NFL QB. :lol:

Yea i think so. Definately top 5 at least. My memory sux. But everybody here thinks Quinn will be a superstar, i can't wait til' he flops. I've seen nothing out of him thus far that suggests he'll last.

Of course your opinion wouldn't be biased or anything. :lol:

Alex Smith's hands are too small. This isn't mentioned much for some reason, but the NFL ball, as everyone here knows, is a lot bigger than the college ball. If you've got small hands to begin with, playing QB with an NFL sized ball might not work well, especially when the weather isn't perfect.

I honestly think that alone is enough to have had questions about Alex Smith coming into the NFL. Clemens is a midget but I think his hands are okay. I actually don't know Clemen's hand size though, but I'm certain Smith's are too small.

I always thought that was a terrible pick. One of those overhyped quarterbacks coming out of college that didn't do too much to distinguish themselves in college, but get the media on their back and end up with a huge contract. The 49ers were too desperate for a quarterback and made a really bad decision going QB #1 in a QB-poor draft. Ryan Leaf status? I don't know, Leaf had way more hype than Smith did going into the draft, in my opinion.

I always thought that was a terrible pick. One of those overhyped quarterbacks coming out of college that didn't do too much to distinguish themselves in college, but get the media on their back and end up with a huge contract. The 49ers were too desperate for a quarterback and made a really bad decision going QB #1 in a QB-poor draft. Ryan Leaf status? I don't know, Leaf had way more hype than Smith did going into the draft, in my opinion.

Smith was still taken higher (Obviously there was no Peyton Manning to contend with) and given more money. From a 49ers point of view, it has to be considered just as big a disaster as Leaf was for San Diego. I always did feel Aaron Rodgers was the better QB of the two coming out. That being said, they shouldn't have went with either of them.

Looking back at that draft, teams did have their fair share of disasters:

San Fran - Alex Smith

Chicago - Cedric Benson

Tennessee - Pacman

Minnesota - Troy Williamson AKA Mr. Hands

Detroit - Mike Williams

Jacksonville - Matt Jones

There are some other very bad ones but those selections were absolutely shocking.

Oh and the Jets traded their pick for Doug Jolley and a kicker. Yay.

Oh and the Jets traded their pick for Doug Jolley and a kicker. Yay.

That kicker would be Mike Nugent. He's not just any other kicker. You seem to have forgotten this.

Anyways, yeah that was a terrible draft. The QB pool was exceptionally weak, I honestly don't think Rodgers or Smith are anything more than Late-first round material in a decent QB draft. Many other busts, many of which had some notable behavior problems. And Detroit's WR busts just shouldn't count. Those came to be expected after a while.

That kicker would be Mike Nugent. He's not just any other kicker. You seem to have forgotten this.

Anyways, yeah that was a terrible draft. The QB pool was exceptionally weak, I honestly don't think Rodgers or Smith are anything more than Late-first round material in a decent QB draft. Many other busts, many of which had some notable behavior problems. And Detroit's WR busts just shouldn't count. Those came to be expected after a while.

LOL, true. Not every kicker has the ability to miss 23 yarders with absoutely no pressure at all. Nuge is indeed unique.

It's hard to believe we could have ended up with Heath Miller who IMO may be the most underrated TE in the league, instead we traded for Jolley.:shock:

LOL, true. Not every kicker has the ability to miss 23 yarders with absoutely no pressure at all. Nuge is indeed unique.

It's hard to believe we could have ended up with Heath Miller who IMO may be the most underrated TE in the league, instead we traded for Jolley.:shock:

It's the preseason, it doesn't mean ****. The Jets won the AFCE preseason championship--where did that get us come regular season? Absolutely nowhere.

Alex Smith's hands are too small. This isn't mentioned much for some reason, but the NFL ball, as everyone here knows, is a lot bigger than the college ball. If you've got small hands to begin with, playing QB with an NFL sized ball might not work well, especially when the weather isn't perfect.

I honestly think that alone is enough to have had questions about Alex Smith coming into the NFL. Clemens is a midget but I think his hands are okay. I actually don't know Clemen's hand size though, but I'm certain Smith's are too small.

Everybody does not know this. Are you sure? I'm pretty sure the specs are identical or near identical except for the stripes. Wilson makes 'em both now, but when I was a kid I think Rawlings made the NCAA ball. Some people feel the NFL ball is a little fatter, which sure might make it harder for a guy with small hands, but technically they should have the same circumference.

nfl ball is just little bigger i dont think it would matter that much. I've thrown both balls and the nfl ball is just alot more slippery even in the greatest of weather. Alex Smith can still throw just as good as any qb in football jsut that he doesnt got the smartest for the nfl. SIZE=overrated

Everybody does not know this. Are you sure? I'm pretty sure the specs are identical or near identical except for the stripes. Wilson makes 'em both now, but when I was a kid I think Rawlings made the NCAA ball. Some people feel the NFL ball is a little fatter, which sure might make it harder for a guy with small hands, but technically they should have the same circumference.

Both the NCAA and the NFL footballs have the same specifications. The specifications of these footballs are: Short Circumference: 20 3/4"- 21 1/4": Long Circumference 27 3/4 "- 28 1/2 "; Weight: approximately 14-15 oz.

its really no big deal a tad bit bigger

Wasn't this announced last week?

Smith is a bust, in the same league as Ryan Leaf. He's shown very little to have anyone believe he could even be a good backup, he could be out of the league very soon. I knew things were rough when he was going to battle with JT O Sullivan and Shaun ****ing Hill but now he's completely screwed.

Bu Bu But!!! 'MORT' and other espn 'experts' said Smith was a can't miss prospect and someone to build a franchise around!

I googled it just to see if anybody has talked about it.

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/druben/2005/12/18/Alex_Smiths_girly_girly_hands

It's old and I don't know who that is, but he references PTI, so at least somebody else has noticed this. I always thought when watching him that he had trouble gripping the ball, would take too long to throw, and was having trouble making certain throws (even beyond that).

The specifications are the same, I'm not sure why I thought the NFL ball was bigger. I've thrown both and always found the college ball easier to throw. My apologies on that statement, clearly I'm wrong on the size.

KFFL Breaking News

O'Sullivan named starter

Matt Maiocco, of The Santa Rosa Press Democrat, reports San Francisco 49ers head coach Mike Nolan has named QB J.T. O'Sullivan the starting quarterback for the regular season.

how far has alex smiths stock fallen??? :shock:

I've always liked JT since his college days. He spent many years bouncing from team to team. Nice to see him finally get a shot at starting. He looked VG against the Bears the other nite.

Archived