Net Passing yards

NJY: 267 SD: 250

Penalties

NJY: 2 for -5 yards SD: 6 for 37 yards

Red Zone Efficiency

NJY: 3/6 50% SD: 4/5 80%

-----------------------------------

We had more first downs.

We were running the ball just as efficiently.

We had less penalties.

We had more passing yards.

We had more trips to the redzone.

Third down efficiency, defensively and offensivley killed us.

Redzone efficiency killed us.

Total First downs

NYJ: 21 SD: 20

Third Down Efficiency

NYJ: 1/8 12% SD: 9/13 70%

Average Gain per rush play

NJY: 3.2 yards SD: 3.1 yards

Net Passing yards

NJY: 267 SD: 250

Penalties

NJY: 2 for -5 yards SD: 6 for 37 yards

Red Zone Efficiency

NJY: 3/6 50% SD: 4/5 80%

-----------------------------------

We had more first downs.

We were running the ball just as efficiently.

We had less penalties.

We had more passing yards.

We had more trips to the redzone.

Third down efficiency, defensively and offensivley killed us.

Redzone efficiency killed us.

you can't look at the stats alone

SD had a big lead, then went into kill the clock mode, and the jets went into a hurry up vs a prevent defense

turnovers killed us on O and pass defense on D

SD had 13.2 yards per reception. they could have had 450 yards passing if they wanted to

Yes, obviously turnovers are always a huge difference.

However, even with the turnovers. The Jets had three trips to the redzone in the second half. We came away with 10 points instead of 21.

We could not stop the chargers on third down to save our lives.

I'm just gonna play devils advocate here for a moment.... It seems as though some people are willing to crucify the jets for almost letting the dolphins back in game and giving them credit when we were ahead and in our prevent defense, but than turn it around and crucify our team for scoring and gaining yards against the chargers when they were in their prevent defense. Bottom line is that when they had were only rushing 3 and had their nickel or prevent package in their, we were able to move the ball effectively when we went 5 wide.

I'm not at all condoning the fact that we let the dolphins almost beat us, but I am saying ya gotta look at it both ways.

I would like to see more 5 wide against the cardinals this coming week, especially if berry is not gonna be playing.

I'm just gonna play devils advocate here for a moment.... It seems as though some people are willing to crucify the jets for almost letting the dolphins back in game and giving them credit when we were ahead and in our prevent defense, but than turn it around and crucify our team for scoring and gaining yards against the chargers when they were in their prevent defense. Bottom line is that when they had were only rushing 3 and had their nickel or prevent package in their, we were able to move the ball effectively when we went 5 wide.

I'm not at all condoning the fact that we let the dolphins almost beat us, but I am saying ya gotta look at it both ways.

I would like to see more 5 wide against the cardinals this coming week, especially if berry is not gonna be playing.

The Chargers were up 24. We were up 6. There is a huge difference. The fact that we went into prevent speaks volumes of the idiocy of our HC. As does the fact that we just gave up on offense and kept giving it to them while watching our lead shrink to death. We run on third down, the Cowboys and Chargers and Broncos and Pats and every other winning team in this league get that first down, by throwing it if they have to.

3rd downs on both sides of the ball killed the jets.

turnovers killed the jets - especially the jones fumble. so many years of curtis martin made me forget running backs actually fumbled.

They both fumbled at around the same rate (1-2x per year after their first 4 seasons).

This was the first turnover we've had due to a Thomas Jones fumble since he came to the Jets.

Neither one is (or was) a game-changer for the Jets, rare once-a-year type occurrences notwithstanding. Hell, Jones had a 50+ yard run in the Superbowl, but we all know long runs aren't the norm for him.

Martin could at least make somewhat sharp cuts. But neither one had (or has) real moves. Martin was a better receiver, but he was hardly a great one. He was a little better blocker as well. But truthfully on passing downs we pull Jones out a lot anyway.

They get what the line gives them. When the line opens up big holes & they get 10 yard gains that way & brings their "average run" up to 4.0 ypc in the process & then everyone calls them "solid" for doing nothing great. They both compile yards because they are durable enough to get carries every week & spent their careers on teams with coaches & coordinators who loved to continually run the ball even when it wasn't working.

But truthfully, not turning over the football has been Thomas Jones' single biggest strength for the Jets (outside the gym anyway). Wish his strength was scoring touchdowns & generally making something of nothing instead instead of only what the OL & defense gives him. Almost anyone can do that & it hardly makes him special.

Archived