Is Chad Pennington Worth $64 Mil?

Smizzy

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are ONE NEGATIVE dude as of late

Nice Yankee win tonite

Chad brings us the Championship, he should get paid double

Yea...I have some family issues going on...Still he isn't worth that coin.

Fact is he hasn't played up to that contract.

I thought the contract was fair. But the Brady deal blew it out of the water. That hurt...Brady giving them a discount.

All they care about in New England is winning. Freaks.

3 superbowl s later... Maybe there something to that :roll:

You look at the two injuries, and the plays that caused them, and it just makes you so friggin' angry.

I blame both of them on that stupid bastard, Hackett, and then Herm for not firing the stupid prick.

Now I've heard everything.

It was Hackett's fault that PennyBoy is a china doll figurine and gets hurt all the time. :shock::shock:

Can Jet fans make anymore excuses for your under-performing $64 mil QB?

You're an idiot

Really?

Then let's take a look at some key factual statistics to see if the China Doll is worth $64 mil.

1). He is 29-years old and has NEVER played a full 16-game season.

2). He has a dazzling 1-9 record against top 10 defensive teams.

3). In his last three games against his most important division rival, he has thrown 1 TD pass and 7 INT's.

4). He has a pedestrian 2-2 record in playoff games.

5). When the Steelers all but handed the Jets last year's playoff game on a silver platter, PennyBoy took advantage of the situation to lead the offense to a whopping 3 points in 5 quarters of football.

Yep, just the kind of stats that you would want from a QB who is paid $64 mil.

Oh yea, he did lead the NFL in that all-important QB rating category in 2002.

So I guess he is worth every damn cent. :shock::shock:

I really don't have an opinion on this topic.

this would have been a very funny post IF you had left well enough alone and your next post wasn't the same old same old... OY .. you still have a lot to learn, Tx. :lol:

Now I've heard everything.

It was Hackett's fault that PennyBoy is a china doll figurine and gets hurt all the time. Shocked Shocked

Can Jet fans make anymore excuses for your under-performing $64 mil QB?

Really?

Then let's take a look at some key factual statistics to see if the China Doll is worth $64 mil.

1). He is 29-years old and has NEVER played a full 16-game season.

2). He has a dazzling 1-9 record against top 10 defensive teams.

3). In his last three games against his most important division rival, he has thrown 1 TD pass and 7 INT's.

4). He has a pedestrian 2-2 record in playoff games.

5). When the Steelers all but handed the Jets last year's playoff game on a silver platter, PennyBoy took advantage of the situation to lead the offense to a whopping 3 points in 5 quarters of football.

Yep, just the kind of stats that you would want from a QB who is paid $64 mil.

Oh yea, he did lead the NFL in that all-important QB rating category in 2002.

So I guess he is worth every damn cent. :shock::shock:

These facts don't lie - but Chad's worth is going to be pretty easy to evaluate this season. There is only one place left to point a finger - the O line.

1.)We got rid of no-Sackett and have a proven offensive minded OC.

2.)He's got arguably a top five receiving corps.

3.)Guess you could say he has an OK backfield.

Theres nothing left to question. It will become very evident very early on if the O line is the problem.

I thought the contract was fair. But the Brady deal blew it out of the water. That hurt...Brady giving them a discount.

All they care about in New England is winning. Freaks.

Perhaps Brady is too chicken sh!t to go out on his own. Tommy Boy is afraid to get even a little close to the edge of Belly's nest.

Just kidding, mostly.

Pennington's deal was fine. If you look at it in terms of his shoulder injury, then it's not. It's only fair to look at the deal in the context of when it was offered to the player.

If Brady destroys a key body part in pre-season, his contract looks bad too.

In this regard, all signing bonuses are risks. It's spent money that restricts long term. Same for all teams. Just gotta go for it.

Pennington's deal was fine. If you look at it in terms of his shoulder injury, then it's not. It's only fair to look at the deal in the context of when it was offered to the player.

And there lies the problem with PennyBoy's contract, the timing of the extension.

The Jets totally jumped the gun. Rather waiting to re-do the contract at the END of last season, the Jets went ahead and completed the deal BEFORE the season began.

There was absolutely no downside risk for the Jets to wait until the end of last season.

If they did, do you think that PennyBoy would have received a $64 mil deal? No way in hell.

And on the other end of the spectrum, let's say PennyBoy lit it up last year (very highly unlikely :wink: ), the Jets would have probably paid a little more but at least knowing they got a proven commodity for the money spent.

Huge mistake by the Jets FO signing the extension when they did.

Right now he is not. If he does well this season under Dinger and shows improvement then maybe he will be on his way.

I am a fan of Chad's, and I want him to do well, but from an objective view he is not worth that much.

this post sums it up for me.

And there lies the problem with PennyBoy's contract, the timing of the extension.

The Jets totally jumped the gun. Rather waiting to re-do the contract at the END of last season, the Jets went ahead and completed the deal BEFORE the season began.

There was absolutely no downside risk for the Jets to wait until the end of last season.

They waited on Abe. They waited on McKenzie. How did that work out for them? Hindsight is 20/20.

If Chad didn't get hurt last year the Jets would have won the Superbowl. And it would have been a bargain.

Take that.

If they did, do you think that PennyBoy would have received a $64 mil deal? No way in hell.

And on the other end of the spectrum, let's say PennyBoy lit it up last year (very highly unlikely :wink: ), the Jets would have probably paid a little more but at least knowing they got a proven commodity for the money spent.

Huge mistake by the Jets FO signing the extension when they did.

Sorry Charlie.

You are WAY OFF. Yes, in retrospect, Penny would be cheaper. The deal was done without the benefit of hindsight.

No risk in letting him play it out?

If Penny does not injure his shoulder and plays out last year, we are almost certainly playing one more week. I can only imagine the amount of money Dallas would have tossed Penny's way if he was coming off of a great year and healthy while Dallas is in win now mode with a HOF coach who never stays too long and to top it off they desperately needed a QB. We know that Tuna likes Chad. He drafted him.

So your discounting of the risk is fraudulent, my friend.

They only had one franchise tag to play with, so tagging Chad costs you Abe or forces your hand.

In no way do I question Chad's contract. I can still see the deal working out fine. He is scheduled to start the opener. We also know the guy is tough enough to tough it out.

The bottom line is, we are lucky to have the guy.

Now if you want to say that a healthy Pennington is not worth what the team paid, that is your opinion and your right. We'd just disagree. Carry on.

everyone is overlooking the fact that Chad didn't get 64 mil he got 22 mil plus salary. The backloaded years will be restructured. Maybe after 2 or 3 restructures 10 years from now he will get something close to 64 mil but those numbers aren't real.

Looking at the bonuses, the first pick of the draft the year Chad signed was Eli Manning, who got 21 Mil. Chad got 1 mil more than Eli who hadn't played a single down in the NFL at the time. Regardless of what you think about Chad's value, 1 mil more than Eli Manning is only fair.

No risk in letting him play it out?

If Penny does not injure his shoulder and plays out last year, we are almost certainly playing one more week. I can only imagine the amount of money Dallas would have tossed Penny's way if he was coming off of a great year and healthy while Dallas is in win now mode with a HOF coach who never stays too long and to top it off they desperately needed a QB. We know that Tuna likes Chad. He drafted him.

So your discounting of the risk is fraudulent, my friend.

They only had one franchise tag to play with, so tagging Chad costs you Abe or forces your hand.

Uh Meddle, if I'm not mistaken, PennyBoy still had another year on his contract before he would be a FA.

That would have occured this year, not last year.

Jets were in the driver seat and jumped too soon. :wink:

Uh Meddle, if I'm not mistaken, PennyBoy still had another year on his contract before he would be a FA.

That would have occured this year, not last year.

Jets were in the driver seat and jumped too soon. :wink:

I think you are wrong. The entire class of 2000 (ABE, Ellis, Penny and Blecht) came off the books together.

everyone is overlooking the fact that Chad didn't get 64 mil he got 22 mil plus salary. The backloaded years will be restructured. Maybe after 2 or 3 restructures 10 years from now he will get something close to 64 mil but those numbers aren't real.

Looking at the bonuses, the first pick of the draft the year Chad signed was Eli Manning, who got 21 Mil. Chad got 1 mil more than Eli who hadn't played a single down in the NFL at the time. Regardless of what you think about Chad's value, 1 mil more than Eli Manning is only fair.

Of course you are correct. Wasn't overlooking it, just wasn't going to go there. If was a 64 mil bonus, I'd have flipped out and been on the other side of this argument.

But Bit is right. Just look what Smith got. Yikes.

I think you are wrong. The entire class of 2000 (ABE, Ellis, Penny and Blecht) came off the books together.

Jul 30, 2004 Chad Pennington (QB) NYJ would like to sign a long-term contract extension with the Jets, and his agent is currently negotiating such a pact with the team, according to the New York Post. Pennington only has one year remaining on his current deal.

http://www.bullysports.com/bully/Football/FootballHtHPopup.htm?pid=1753&s=U7aFipf1L_7868737&v=1

:wink:

Uh, what am I missing? He would have been a FA at the end of 2004, not 2005.

Meddle, that quote was made July 30, 2004. The way I interpet that is that "one year remaining" meant the 2005 season.

If 2004 was the final year don't you think they would have said "he is in the final year of his contract"?

I'm not 100% sure on this however.

Anybody know?

bit, I know you know. =D>

Archived