Francesa reports on Giradi's view of 09 Yanks

GimmeShelter

Francesa reporting on Girardi's view of the 2009 Yanks on the FAN now.

Outfield: Damon-Gardner-Nady.

Giambi gone- no firm plan at 1st but will chase Tex.

Cano to have Long work with him all winter but available in the right deal.

Matsui is the DH.

Melky and his power numbers available in any deals for a bag of balls to quote Francesa.

Hughes to likely spend year in minors. Will have to earn any job during spring.

Pettitte has not heard from Yanks.

Posada way ahead of schedue-will be catcher.

Mo ahead of schedule.

Rotation hopefully, CC-Wang-Joba-Lowe or Burnett and a spring 5th spot battle unless Moose comes back. Moose reportedly was not on same page with Girardi most of season.

Francesa reporting on Girardi's view of the 2009 Yanks on the FAN now.

Outfield: Damon-Gardner-Nady.

Giambi gone- no firm plan at 1st but will chase Tex.

Cano to have Long work with him all winter but available in the right deal.

Matsui is the DH.

Melky and his power numbers available in any deals for a bag of balls to quote Francesa.

Hughes to likely spend year in minors. Will have to earn any job during spring.

Pettitte has not heard from Yanks.

Posada way ahead of schedue-will be catcher.

Mo ahead of schedule.

Rotation hopefully, CC-Wang-Joba-Lowe or Burnett and a spring 5th spot battle unless Moose comes back. Moose reportedly was not on same page with Girardi most of season.

If the Yanks spend millions in this offseason as it seem they will and have Gardner playing centerfield, I will be pissed. Time for Girardi to get off this kid's love stick. I like the kid, just not as my everyday centerfielder.

I don't mind Gardner in CF if he can start hitting. Damon as an everyday outfielder is not ideal, however. I think they got the rotation right, but I would definitely consider putting Pettite in the 5th spot if he would sign cheaply.

I'm not psyched about sending Hughes back to the minors, either. It feels like they've given up on him and Kennedy. I guess that is why they want to have a battle for the 5th spot in the spring though.

Does anyone think Pettite might try pitching from the bullpen?

If the Yanks spend millions in this offseason as it seem they will and have Gardner playing centerfield, I will be pissed. Time for Girardi to get off this kid's love stick. I like the kid, just not as my everyday centerfielder.

I hear you. I saw very little out of that kid. While I hope my Mets straighten out their bullpen, this Yankee off season is going to be a wild one IMO and I cant wait to see how it unfolds.

Francesa swears that CC is a done deal that will happen before ThanksGiving. Personally I feel if they add him they only really need one other arm....maybe a Derek Lowe type. I liked Aceves down the stretch but I hear nothing about any thoughts of him maybe getting the 5th spot.

A staff of CC-Wang-Joba-Andy-Moose would be just fine with Hughes and Aceves ready to step in when Joba hits his innings limit or someone gets injured.

The Marte signing puts the Yanks pen to bed. Now if they somehow add Tex and get the 2007 Posada and Cano back along with 155 games out of Matsui, the lineup should be very good.

I like Matsui, but he's not a good fit with this team. Cant play the field and doesnt have ideal power for a DH spot, especially in a lineup like ours that only has 1 big time power hitter (Arod).

I would trade Matsui. Sign Manny to be the DH.

Um, I would MUCH rather have Matsui as our DH. Manny isn't worth it.

I like Matsui, but he's not a good fit with this team. Cant play the field and doesnt have ideal power for a DH spot, especially in a lineup like ours that only has 1 big time power hitter (Arod).

I wouldn't touch Manny. Manny on Waivers a few years ago? Hell yes. But not now. He's going to want crazy numbers in a long term deal and he's going to be 37 next year...

I honestly don't have a problem with Gardner getting significant time as our center fielder next year. We've had all stars at the majority of every position that last couple of seasons, and it hasn't won us a championship.

Then you look at a team like the Tampa Bay Rays. They don't have the best hitters every where. They have a mixture of Power (Upton, Pena, and Longoria), Contact (Crawford, Longoria, Upton, and Navarro), and Speed (Bartlett, Crawford, and Upton). Along with their great pitching.

You guys are nuts. Arod has ZERO protection in the lineup right now. Manny is the best hitter in the league and the best clutch hitter, even at his age. 3 or 4 year deal is a no brainer.

Yankees will be stupid. Matsui will be brought back, hit .280 with 15 hrs from the DH spot and Arod will struggle again. Same ol sh#t.

Problem is by most accounts Matsui is untradeable due to contract and health liabilities. When healthy he will give you .290, 23 -100 type numbers which is more than fine.

I agree though that the line-up could use one more power guy preferrably at 1B.

Problem is by most accounts Matsui is untradeable due to contract and health liabilities. When healthy he will give you .290, 23 -100 type numbers which is more than fine.

I agree though that the line-up could use one more power guy preferrably at 1B.

True. But you also have to figure the team that trades for him will take into account all the Japanese dollars they will receive for just having Matsui on their team.

True. But you also have to figure the team that trades for him will take into account all the Japanese dollars they will receive for just having Matsui on their team.

If Matsui were tradeable, he would have been a Mariner last year.

Archived