Yanks acquire Nick Swisher

shawn306

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3700869

Sources: Yanks acquire Swisher for minor leaguer

By Jerry Crasnick

Updated: November 13, 2008, 3:37 PM ET

The New York Yankees have acquired center fielder-first baseman Nick Swisher in a trade with the Chicago White Sox, baseball sources tell ESPN.com.

Minor league pitcher Jeff Marquez is headed to Chicago in the deal, the source said. It's uncertain if any other players are involved.

Swisher, 27, hit .219 with 24 home runs in 153 games with Chicago this season.

Jerry Crasnick covers Major League Baseball for ESPN.com.

Yanks need someone who can hit for average on 1B...he'll share the position, I just don't see him as an everyday player.

He can knock in the runs though...and he walks a lot as well.

Swisher had a rough season last year, but I wouldnt be surprised if he's starting for us.

He isnt afraid of getting dirty and we didnt give up much so I like the move.

Swisher had a rough season last year, but I wouldnt be surprised if he's starting for us.

He isnt afraid of getting dirty and we didnt give up much so I like the move.

Well, I hope you're right about him having an off year...Hey Barton, is that you playing for the A's? :rl:

Nick Swisher in 2008 had the worst batting average among players with at least 502 plate appearances, the number needed to qualify for the batting title.

From the bottom up Nick Swisher, White Sox .219

Daric Barton, A's .226

Michael Bourn, Astros .229

Jack Cust, A's .231

Mark Ellis, A's .233

Rickie Weeks, Brewers .234

Kevin Millar, Orioles .234

He's playing 1st, you don't dump $22M into a bench player.

Correct. Have seen on multiple boards Yank fans saying nice move for the bench.

Swischer will be at 1B or in CF every day. Looked like a very good player 3 years ago but is also from roids central so we'll see which player he is. I like the move although I don't know how high Yank fans rank the kid they gave up.

Correct. Have seen on multiple boards Yank fans saying nice move for the bench.

Swischer will be at 1B or in CF every day. Looked like a very good player 3 years ago but is also from roids central so we'll see which player he is. I like the move although I don't know how high Yank fans rank the kid they gave up.

Cashman already said that he doesn't expect Swish to be in the CF mix. He'll play some LF and occasionally spell Nady in RF.

Cashman already said that he doesn't expect Swish to be in the CF mix. He'll play some LF and occasionally spell Nady in RF.

As a part time player? I don't see that at all. With his contract he is not a bench player. He wil play 1B if Cash says no everday CF or be trade bait in a package deal for a better player at CF/1B or SP. I think he's a better player than last season.

2009: $5.3 million, 2010: $6.75 million, 2011: $9 million, 2012: $10.25 million club option, $1 million buyout, 2013: Free Agent

Archived