Damn, Kiper recommends UNC's DC Blake for Syracuse job

SouthernJet

STFU Mel

I heard Mel Kiper on the radio this evening and the host asked him what's the best college job opening right now. He talked about TN and Clemson, and then said SYR should hire his good friend John Blake. He said Blake is a great recruiter who has beaten Pete Carroll for talent (Marvin Austin) He basically said it would be a no-brainer for SYR.

STFU Mel

I heard Mel Kiper on the radio this evening and the host asked him what's the best college job opening right now. He talked about TN and Clemson, and then said SYR should hire his good friend John Blake. He said Blake is a great recruiter who has beaten Pete Carroll for talent (Marvin Austin) He basically said it would be a no-brainer for SYR.

Interesting. First time Ive heard that name mentioned at all. Would be the ideal hire...East coach ties, part of an up and coming program, young, works for a good CS.

So far most of the talk seems to point to current UCONN head coach Randy Edsail. Wouldn't be a bad hire, but I think we can do better.

Interesting. First time Ive heard that name mentioned at all. Would be the ideal hire...East coach ties, part of an up and coming program, young, works for a good CS.

So far most of the talk seems to point to current UCONN head coach Randy Edsail. Wouldn't be a bad hire, but I think we can do better.

i can see a coordinator taking job, but why would hc of uconn take it,,its a lateral at best,,maybe astep down,,is he a alum,,if not, no way he takes a lateral

i can see a coordinator taking job, but why would hc of uconn take it,,its a lateral at best,,maybe astep down,,is he a alum,,if not, no way he takes a lateral

Money talks. Not sure if he's an alum, but there is strong speculation that he is the one the SU administration is after.

Its important to remember that SU had made 3 consecutive bowl games ('02-'04) before Greg Robinson took over and made a complete mockery of the program. 9 wins in four years...PATHETIC.

Also, if someone can come in and turn this program around, and REALLY turn it around, as in make it a top 25 team... Their name could go down with the likes of Ernie Davis, Jim Brown, Art Monk, and even basketball coach Jim Boeheim as a Syracuse legend. The Syracuse program certainly did have its glory days, and was for the most part, a mediocre program the last ten or so years before GRob came along and F'd it all up.

Point is, there is the aspect of the glamor and fame that would go along with turning this program around and making it a contender again that some coaches, especially the younger ones, may be attracted to.

Also, there's not to many home field advantages around like a packed Carrier Dome. back in '04 (we won 7 games that year I believe) SI ranked Cuse in the top 5 toughest places to play. Imagine what it would be like if someone can make SU a BCS contender....

Money talks. Not sure if he's an alum, but there is strong speculation that he is the one the SU administration is after.

Its important to remember that SU had made 3 consecutive bowl games ('02-'04) before Greg Robinson took over and made a complete mockery of the program. 9 wins in four years...PATHETIC.

Also, if someone can come in and turn this program around, and REALLY turn it around, as in make it a top 25 team... Their name could go down with the likes of Ernie Davis, Jim Brown, Art Monk, and even basketball coach Jim Boeheim as a Syracuse legend. The Syracuse program certainly did have its glory days, and was for the most part, a mediocre program the last ten or so years before GRob came along and F'd it all up.

Point is, there is the aspect of the glamor and fame that would go along with turning this program around and making it a contender again that some coaches, especially the younger ones, may be attracted to.

Also, there's not to many home field advantages around like a packed Carrier Dome. back in '04 (we won 7 games that year I believe) SI ranked Cuse in the top 5 toughest places to play. Imagine what it would be like if someone can make SU a BCS contender....

uconn equal or better program that syr now,,

no way he takes a demotion,,he will hold out for a sec or big 10 job imho...

u get a coordinator or a lower level div hc,,or a fired coach from a big program lookin to rebuild his rep to get back to bigtime,,sec/big10/big12

uconn equal or better program that syr now,,

no way he takes a demotion,,he will hold out for a sec or big 10 job imho...

u get a coordinator or a lower level div hc,,or a fired coach from a big program lookin to rebuild his rep to get back to bigtime,,sec/big10/big12

Im not sure. Looked it up yesterday afternoon after the G-Rob firing was made official (finally). Edsall not only played for Cuse for 4 years, but was an assistant here for 10. Gross said in his Sunday presser that he's worked hard the past 2 years to raise a lot of funds for this move to make sure that money will not be a problem. Also, ever since Gross hired an agency to help him find a coach (he denied it, but he more than likely did), and said agency took 2 months scouting the NCAA and putting out feelers to coaches, they supposedly reported back to Gross with Edsall being the most likely and best option Cuse had. Of course, this generated a lot of hype and Edsall was asked a lot of questions--meaning he had a lot of opportunities to squander the rumors. And NOT ONCE has he said anything to the effect of "Im not leaving", "The job doesn't interest me", or anything like that. Instead he's gone the route "right now, im at Uconn and therefore my focus will remain with this team so long as I am here."

Recently, after the Cuse-Uconn football game, when Cuse reporters asked about the rumors he said "Right now my focus is these next two games at Uconn and then the bowl game. Where I go from there is not my #1 priority as of now."

Call me crazy, but I have a funny feeling Edsall is going to be roaming the Cuse sidelines next year and for the next few years to come.

Your next head coach of the Syracuse Orangemen:

t1_gill.jpg

Turner Gill- University of Buffalo Head Coach

That name certainly has been floated around as well.. As has Skip Holtz of East Carolina. Lane Kiffen has gotten some mention as well but it is unlikely, being that Al Davis is one of the top donors to the program, and that he has received lots of interest from better programs such as Clemson and Tennessee.

Again, I think Edsall is the most likely candidate for the job because of his close ties to the program and his history here. He also has developed a track record of making something out of nothing and building a program from scratch, which he did with Uconn in just a few years. Believe it or not, I think Syracuse is in a better place now than Uconn was before Edsall took over. If we can get someone with knowledge of the college game and with recruiting ties like Edsall back in the dome, which he is obviously familiar with as well, we can be a BE competitor again.

And there would be no better feel good story in Cuse than if an alum took the job, despite his success at a rival school, to resurrect this program and restore its glory days.

That name certainly has been floated around as well.. As has Skip Holtz of East Carolina. Lane Kiffen has gotten some mention as well but it is unlikely, being that Al Davis is one of the top donors to the program, and that he has received lots of interest from better programs such as Clemson and Tennessee.

Again, I think Edsall is the most likely candidate for the job because of his close ties to the program and his history here. He also has developed a track record of making something out of nothing and building a program from scratch, which he did with Uconn in just a few years. Believe it or not, I think Syracuse is in a better place now than Uconn was before Edsall took over. If we can get someone with knowledge of the college game and with recruiting ties like Edsall back in the dome, which he is obviously familiar with as well, we can be a BE competitor again.

And there would be no better feel good story in Cuse than if an alum took the job, despite his success at a rival school, to resurrect this program and restore its glory days.

I'll be honest and dont know much about college football, but it does seem the CT coach would be a solid choice given his history and background. But I have a feeling that somehow it will fall through and Gill will be there to take the reigns.

I'll be honest and dont know much about college football, but it does seem the CT coach would be a solid choice given his history and background. But I have a feeling that somehow it will fall through and Gill will be there to take the reigns.

...And as I was typing my last response in this thread, Edsall released a statement to the media saying "There has ben lots of speculation saying that I will be a potential candidate for the head coaching vacancy at Syracuse University. It is with no disrespect to my alma mater, however, that I do not want to be considered for the job. Right now, I want to continue coaching at UConn, and I do not want this to be a distraction to me, to the players, or to the coaches as we finish our season...."

Of course, you have to take any comments like this with a grain of salt...We all saw what happened with Nick Saban at Miami, Herm Edwards with the Jets, etc, etc....

Yet, this is the 1st time he ever acknowledged to anyone that he has, in fact, been contacted by SU or its representatives, and it is the 1st time he stated his interests regarding the situation.

I think Gross timed his firing just right...He is not under pressure to find a coach by next week to conclude the season, and he can really take the time to do personal interviews, etc. etc. to make sure he doesn't mess this up again.

There is a ton of speculation about who the next coach will be...All names, from Lloyd Carr to Edsall, to Skip Holts and Turner Gill, to our current OC (dont remember his name, lol) have all been floating around since the onset of the season (when G-Robs firing became inevitable.) It'll be interesting to see what Gross does these next couple of months.

At least we know that he'll be hard pressed to find anyone worse than Greg Robinson.

...And as I was typing my last response in this thread, Edsall released a statement to the media saying "There has ben lots of speculation saying that I will be a potential candidate for the head coaching vacancy at Syracuse University. It is with no disrespect to my alma mater, however, that I do not want to be considered for the job. Right now, I want to continue coaching at UConn, and I do not want this to be a distraction to me, to the players, or to the coaches as we finish our season...."

Of course, you have to take any comments like this with a grain of salt...We all saw what happened with Nick Saban at Miami, Herm Edwards with the Jets, etc, etc....

Exactly... I'll believe it when they hire a new coach. No coach can ever be held at their word. They all lie. And he built in enough wiggle room in that statement to help him.

STFU Mel

Overall ? Riiiiiiiight. The only reason a kid offered a scholarship doesn't go to USC is if he feels he won't start but will ride the pine for 4-5 years.

u will see,,most fan bases are delusional about the quality of thier program,,the name su mentioend wouldnt sniff syracuse,,

u will get a coordintor from somewhere or a lower level coach like gill,,syracus=e just isnt that attractive ajob..

but we will see...

u will see,,most fan bases are delusional about the quality of thier program,,the name su mentioend wouldnt sniff syracuse,,

u will get a coordintor from somewhere or a lower level coach like gill,,syracus=e just isnt that attractive ajob..

but we will see...

Why not?

Sure, he built a respectable program from scratch at Uconn...But he's still not even close to being considered a hero there. In fact, after reading some Uconn message boards, it seems as if a large portion of their fanbase wouldn't mind him leaving.

Having played at SU for 4 years and coached here for 10...the Cuse HC job may very well have been a longtime dream of his. Now that he's finally going to get his chance, and get a lot of money as well. he may not be able to pass.

Why not?

Sure, he built a respectable program from scratch at Uconn...But he's still not even close to being considered a hero there. In fact, after reading some Uconn message boards, it seems as if a large portion of their fanbase wouldn't mind him leaving.

Having played at SU for 4 years and coached here for 10...the Cuse HC job may very well have been a longtime dream of his. Now that he's finally going to get his chance, and get a lot of money as well. he may not be able to pass.

oh, if edsall is a alum thats different,,i said earlier IF a alum maybe they get a current HC..

if he is a alum than he may def come

Sports Illustrated just published this:

Looks like UConn guy said nyet

http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/the_sweep/posts/24183?eref=fromSI

mandel_stewart.jpg

Who's dumb enough to coach 'Cuse?

Whoever takes over for Greg Robinson will have work to do.

The following job posting was recently spotted in the classified ads section of the Syracuse Post-Standard:

Wanted: Head football coach, BCS-conference school. Seeking enthusiastic candidates who welcome the challenge of rebuilding a program that has won three Big East games over the past four seasons. Must exhibit a fondness for domed stadiums and cold, dreary weather. Benefits include an apathetic fan base, average facilities and divisive athletic director.

On the heels of Greg Robinson's long-expected firing Sunday, the question isn't, "Who will Syracuse hire to replace him?" It's "Who would be dumb and/or sadistic enough to take that job?"

It took less than 24 hours for the school's reported top candidate, Connecticut's Randy Edsall, to give his alma mater the Heisman. Once upon a time, a coach at UConn would have come running to Syracuse, but in 2008, Edsall -- who makes a reported $1.3 million, works in brand-new offices and a four-year-old stadium and will soon make his third bowl appearance in five years -- has a better job where he's at.

It's also been speculated for some time that Syracuse might target Buffalo coach Turner Gill, a logical premise seeing as Gill is already in the state and has been nothing short of miracle-worker in taking one of the nation's worst programs to the brink of a possible division title. (Buffalo is currently 6-4, 4-2 in the MAC.) It's entirely possible Gill would be eager to jump from the MAC to the Big East. But here's the thing: Gill can do better. Much better.

Syracuse's best hope of landing a coach capable of restoring the once-proud Orange to their proper glory -- or at least the right side of .500 -- is to find an energetic, ambitious assistant both itching to become a head coach and dynamic enough to sell blue-chippers on a program that, quite frankly, doesn't have much to offer right now. That person most certainly needs to have his fingers on the pulse of the Northeast recruiting scene.

The New York Times posted a list of potential candidates Sunday night, and two names immediately jumped to mind: Mike Locksley and Steve Addazio.

Locksley, 39, a Washington, D.C., native, is Illinois' offensive coordinator and the driving force behind Ron Zook's recruiting success both there and at Florida. He lured star receiver Arrelious Benn (a D.C. native) to Champaign and landed several key members of Florida's 2006 national title team.

Addazio, 49, Urban Meyer's offensive line coach at Florida, was a Syracuse assistant during the Donovan McNabb era (1995-98). Last month, former Orange star Rob Konrad penned a letter on behalf of several former teammates urging AD Daryl Gross to consider Addazio, whose pipeline into the New Jersey talent scene would be invaluable at Syracuse.

Of course, that brings us back to the original question. While the Syracuse head coaching job would garner a huge pay raise, is the assistant head coach position at Florida is arguably a better (and safer) job? I think so. If I'm Gross, I'm making that call to Locksley.

From CBS Sports this morning

Syracuse has Florida offensive line coach Steve Addazio and Notre Dame recruiting coordinator Rob Ianello high on its list.

As I said in a post in one of these threads.... A whole slew of names has been floating around ever since the beginning of the season. From Lloyd Carr, Lane Kiffen, Edsall, to Turner GIll, Skip Holtz. Addazio, Bob Ianello, the current TT Head Coach, the current TT Offensive Coordinator, the current Boise St. Head coach, to our Offenseive Coordinator...Just about every coach with east coast ties or Syracuse ties or ties to AD Daryl Gross in the United States has been mentioned as a possibility. Who ends up coming here is really anyone's guess. My money is still on Edsall fyi.

As I said in a post in one of these threads.... A whole slew of names has been floating around ever since the beginning of the season. From Lloyd Carr, Lane Kiffen, Edsall, to Turner GIll, Skip Holtz. Addazio, Bob Ianello, the current TT Head Coach, the current TT Offensive Coordinator, the current Boise St. Head coach, to our Offenseive Coordinator...Just about every coach with east coast ties or Syracuse ties or ties to AD Daryl Gross in the United States has been mentioned as a possibility. Who ends up coming here is really anyone's guess. My money is still on Edsall fyi.

dont think so.. went to press last night

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/weiss/2008/11/edsall-bows-out-of-running-for.html

syracuses problem for a BIG name is that Clemson, Tenn, Univ Washington,and maybe South Carolina (rumor is Steve stepping down) are all up grabs..

throw in tubberville gettin one of thise spots and then auburn opens up..If Pinkel take Wash job, then Missouri opens up...

I think Leach goes to Tenn, so then Texas Tech opens up,,so it goes,,

That means nothing at this point. How many college coaches have lied in the past....

I'll believe it when Syracuse names a new head coach, until then its all bull chips

well, they always say 'I am happy here at xyz and committed to my team'aka , a non denial denial,..biut when they say 'take my name out of consideration' its OVAH

well, they always say 'I am happy here at xyz and committed to my team'aka , a non denial denial,..biut when they say 'take my name out of consideration' its OVAH

I'll believe it when they sign someone else as head coach. His statement he put out the other day left a lot of wiggle room.

Coaches cannot be believed with what they say to the media. They lie.

LOL.

In other news, Herm Edwards's heart is and always will be in NY, and will not be leaving anytime soon, and Nick Saban has told the press he has not been contacted by and is not interested in the Alabama coaching job,

LOL.

In other news, Herm Edwards's heart is and always will be in NY, and will not be leaving anytime soon, and Nick Saban has told the press he has not been contacted by and is not interested in the Alabama coaching job,

we will see..

but like all article smention, the UConn job is equal or better than the Syracuse job now.. I hope u get him, but it looks like coordinator city for u guys till u repair your damaged football rep

Archived