Chad Pennington, MVP?

NY JETS 29

Did you just start watching the team this year? The defense was abysmal last year (worst against the run in football), Ricky Williams wasn't with the team, and Ronnie Brown went down for the year after 7 games.

:confused0085:

Really? What else happened? Did we trade our best receiver? Did our quarterback get knocked out? Did we go through six safeties? Did we lose six games by three points? Tell me more!

What about 2006? We had one of the best defenses in the league, Ronnie was awesome and our quarterbacks were Daunte Culpepper and Joey Harrington.

Result? 6-10.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I watch a lot of Fish football, and there are several reasons the Fish have improved so dramatically.

Of course their CS has improved with Parcells coming in. Last years staff was horrible.

The OL has improved greatly. They were even worst then the Jets last year. With two moves they rebuilt their OL. Signing Smilie was a biggie, and on the cheap. The Jets were interested in him last year, but Parcells jumped an got him right away. he has played better then Faneca this year. Problem with him is, he is always injured, and is again, which will hurt them.

Both of their RB's were hurt last year. They are healthy this year. Porter is having a monster year, and as much as I hate the guy, no downplaying his value to this defense.

Pennington was the straw that stirred the drink. I never understood the hatred for Pennington among Jets fans. He is not a HOF'er by any means but he is a very solid QB, who gives you 100%. It is going to be very difficult for either of the young QB's to unseat him as the starter. If they do he will be a great player coach type of back up. I wanted a QB change on the Jets, but I thought it would be Clemens beating out Pennington, and Pennington being his advisor and mentor. Clemens couldn't do it, and the Jets panicked, and made a major mistake.

I disagree about the offensive line. Last year our line was playing great until the last month of the season or so. Even when Ronnie got hurt, Jesse Chatman was averaging over four yards per carry. This year, we don't get good push off the line and we're forced to run stretch plays and sometimes the Wildcat just stretch the field and prevent penetration.

We commit fewer mistakes than any team in the league, we are near the top in time of possession and all of that is attributed to Chad. You're right, he's not going to chuck up 400 yards and win the 38-31 shootouts. But he will put the opposing offense in long field position by taking care of the ball and moving it consistently, and he'll keep your offense on the field and put up enough points to win more games than he loses.

Chad Pennington is twice the quarterback Kerry Collins is. But he has done some amazing things in the fourth quarter to capture or preserve victories.

Four differnet times this year we have possessed the ball for 10 minutes in the fourth quarter and each included a lengthy touchdown drive.

It's clear cut that your a Church of Penningtology convert and the only answer you want is:

Yes Chad Pennington is one of the best QB's in the league and should garner MVP votes.

It's clear cut that your a Church of Penningtology convert and the only answer you want is:

Yes Chad Pennington is one of the best QB's in the league and should garner MVP votes.

If that's what you want to believe, fine, go ahead.

I'm saying, yes, there aren't more than 10 quarterbacks that are playing better than Chad right now.

And I'm saying, yes, if we win out and he continues to play like he has, he should be considered. And no, I don't think he should win or even come close.

I would agree that Matt Ryan has been better than Chad this year, but Chad is the single reason we are in the race. Without him, we'd be around 4-9 or in that neighborhood. He's been absolutely fantastic this year.

I don't think he'll win, but he should get a couple of votes if we win out.

Quarterbacks since 2000 to win MVP:

2001 - Kurt Warner - 4,830 Yards/36 TDs/#1 Ranked Offense/14-2/NFC Champions

2002 - Rich Gannon - 4,689 Yards/26 TDs/#2 Ranked Offense/11-5/AFC Champions

2003 - Peyton Manning - 4,267 Yards/29 TDs/#2 Ranked Offense/12-4/Loss in AFC Championship

2003 - Steve McNair - 3,215 Yards/24 TDs/#5 Ranked Offense/12-4/Loss in Divisional Round

2004 - Peyton Manning - 4,557 Yards/49 TDs/#1 Ranked Offense/12-4/Loss in Divisional Round

2006 - Tom Brady - 4,806 Yards/50 TDs/#1 Ranked Offense (ever)/16-0/AFC Champions

2008 (INCOMPLETE) - Chad Pennington - 3,062 Yards/12 TDs :rl:/#23 Ranked Offense/8-5

You still think he'll get even a vote? :rl:

Why do you think our defense is playing so well? Chad keeps the team on the field and although we aren't lights out in the red zone, I would more likely attribute that to poor offensive line play. We don't get great push and often allow penetration, especially when the defense is close to the line of scrimmage.

Chad has done more than enough for us.

deja_vu.gif

I didn't know Dan Henning made plays ? Learn something new everyday.

As far as Chad is conerned. You could probably throw him in there but would he win it ? Only if the Dolphins won the Super Bowl and I don't think that is happening.

You can look at a Kerry Collins who comes off the bench to lead the Titans to a 12-1 record. Matt Ryan (although I doubt they would give to a rookie). You can throw Eli in the mix, considering the year the Giants are having missing Strahan, Usi and now Plaxico.

Kerry Collins has the luxury of an outstanding running game and an ungodly defense, two things the Dolphins do not posess. Chad has won games with his arm, and kept us in games we probably had no business winning.

Yes he deserves some votes if we finish 11-5, although I dont think he has a realisitic shot at winning it unless he has a miraculous last 3 games and throws 9 or 10 TD's in that stretch.

BTW, the MVP is a regular season honor, not a postseason one.

Kerry Collins has the luxury of an outstanding running game and an ungodly defense, two things the Dolphins do not posess. Chad has won games with his arm, and kept us in games we probably had no business winning.

Yes he deserves some votes if we finish 11-5, although I dont think he has a realisitic shot at winning it unless he has a miraculous last 3 games and throws 9 or 10 TD's in that stretch.

Wow....

Titans #2 D

Phins #9 D

Titans #3 Run

Phins #12 Run

You guys are REALLY REALLY hurting on those ends.

Why do you think our defense is playing so well? Chad keeps the team on the field and although we aren't lights out in the red zone, I would more likely attribute that to poor offensive line play. We don't get great push and often allow penetration, especially when the defense is close to the line of scrimmage.

Chad has done more than enough for us.

Of course, that must be it. Chad's history of struggles in the redzone throughout his entire career be damned, its entirely the offensive lines fault.

Did I say that?

We've have GREAT defenses, Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams all here in the past. The simple fact is that not John Beck, Chad Henne or Josh McCown would have us where we are. Quarterback play is vital and we have one of the ten best in the league.

Top 10 in the league? Surely you jest. Maybe top 10 in the conference. Definitely top 10 in the division though, so that's something.

You are finding every excuse possible. At some point you're going to have to give credit to these players that are, ya' know, the guys that are actually playing the game.

Every excuse for what exactly? Trying to bring you down to earth? You're like a high school cheerleader swooning over the varsity QB. It's sickening.

I haven't seen a single Jets fan say that Chad has been bad this year. He's been solid, like he normally is. The issue is over your need to make him out to be more important then the team..

The Fins defense is 9th in PPG, and the offense is 23rd in PPG.

The Fins are tied for 5th in Rush TDs, and 23rd in Pass TDs.

And sure, the Titans are better in those areas... But they're also 12-1, and the Dolphins are 8-5.

So really, your point about Collins falls flat on its face.

I was going to say that this was a logical post and that there would be no way for a Jets fan to take an opposing view... But then you said Chad was winning games with his arm, you have no idea the **** storm that'll create. Nice job :cheers:

If they do he will be a great player coach type of back up. I wanted a QB change on the Jets, but I thought it would be Clemens beating out Pennington, and Pennington being his advisor and mentor.

I'm curious, what is this based on? I know everyone loves to preach Chad's "smarts" and "intangibles", but what makes anyone think he would be some great mentor? The guy bitched last year when he got benched for the Ravens game when he was INJURED. He then threw an absolute fit when he got benched half way through the season for Clemens and bitched again when Clemens took his job back after returning from injury. Then all season long every chance he got he went on about how he should be the starter. He even made it pretty clear that if he didn't win the Jets starting job this year, he would want to be traded. All of this while sporting his cap-crushing contract. I really don't get where this idea of "Chad Pennington, team player extraordinaire" comes from.

I was going to say that this was a logical post and that there would be no way for a Jets fan to take an opposing view... But then you said Chad was winning games with his arm, you have no idea the **** storm that'll create. Nice job :cheers:

Anything that claims that Chad will even get a single vote for MVP no matter how many more games they win is nowhere near "logical".

I'm curious, what is this based on? I know everyone loves to preach Chad's "smarts" and "intangibles", but what makes anyone think he would be some great mentor? The guy bitched last year when he got benched for the Ravens game when he was INJURED. He then threw an absolute fit when he got benched half way through the season for Clemens and bitched again when Clemens took his job back after returning from injury. Then all season long every chance he got he went on about how he should be the starter. He even made it pretty clear that if he didn't win the Jets starting job this year, he would want to be traded. All of this while sporting his cap-crushing contract. I really don't get where this idea of "Chad Pennington, team player extraordinaire" comes from.

Chad is the devil

The best part is that he's setting up idiots like Aqueer4eva for a big time fall next season.

I can't wait..

Meanwhile, Chad is starting with an 8-5 record and Clemons is warming the bench for Brett. Maybe that's why.

Chad had an impossible situation last year, your O-line was a mess, Jones had A rushing touchdown all year, he was injured and the coaches were under pressure to see what Clemons was made of. Chad, being the cerebal player he is, realized Clemons sucked and knew he could do a better job.

Chad is the devil

The best part is that he's setting up idiots like Aqueer4eva for a big time fall next season.

I can't wait..

Haha. Honestly though- I just don't get why people don't see something very clearly. If he was such a good QB why is there so much debate over it? Do people argue if Peyton or Brady are good QB's? A few here and there but most would agree that they are good.

Meanwhile, Chad is starting with an 8-5 record and Clemons is warming the bench for Brett. Maybe that's why.

Chad had an impossible situation last year, your O-line was a mess, Jones had A rushing touchdown all year, he was injured and the coaches were under pressure to see what Clemons was made of. Chad, being the cerebal player he is, realized Clemons sucked and knew he could do a better job.

Clemens sucks, you think I don't know this? And whatever excuses you want to make for Chad last year, in the end he was still less effective than Clemens in both of his stints at QB. Chad won 1 game last year. Against your crappy ass Dolphins. Clemens wasn't all that good outside of a few games, but at least he won 3.

That still doesn't change the fact that this idea of Chad being the ultimate team player who will do whatever is asked of him is a crock. Not that he's a bad guy, but he's no different than most of your average non-TO like NFL players out there.

I just had Mike and Mike on and they were talking about the MVP race and they attempted to make an argument for Jay Cutler and Chad Pennington. I thought about it myself and as I don't think he has a shot at winning the MVP I do believe you can make an argument for him as a legit candidate, thoughts?

This kind of talk is reason number 1,527 why I don't listen to Mike & Mike. Greenberg is the biggest Chad homer I have ever seen.

If he is throwing Chad out there for MVP how about Cassel? :rolleyes: The numbers are near identical between the two of them.

This kind of talk is reason number 1,527 why I don't listen to Mike & Mike. Greenberg is the biggest Chad homer I have ever seen.

If he is throwing Chad out there for MVP how about Cassel? :rolleyes: The numbers are near identical between the two of them.

If chad wins division, he has to be among the top 3 vote getters

and i am not a chad fan by any stretch.

Matt Cassel took over for a team that went 18-1* last year, he stepped into a much better situation.

That being said, if the Pats make the playoffs, Cassel does deserve some MVP voting attention.

Yea, and Chad is starting over Favre either. In fact Clemens is still on the team, the noodle arm was the one discarded.

And Clemens didn't? Chad sucked as bad if not worse then Clemens last year- fact

But you and Aquaqueer suck more. :P

Matt Cassel took over for a team that went 18-1* last year, he stepped into a much better situation.

That being said, if the Pats make the playoffs, Cassel does deserve some MVP voting attention.

He also hadn't started a game since High School and the Pats players have been dropping like flies.

Pennington has been in the NFL a long time and has only thrown 12 TD's this year. 12!

The last 2 QB's to win the MVP threw a combined 99 TD's. I'll be amazed if Chad throws 15.

Even if the Pats somehow manage to win the AFCE, Cassel shouldn't get any MVP consideration IMO.

Yea, and Chad is starting over Favre either. In fact Clemens is still on the team, the noodle arm was the one discarded.

And Clemens didn't? Chad sucked as bad if not worse then Clemens last year- fact

If you want me to, I'll go into the specifics of "salary cap" implications I will, but for now I'll just give you the short answer.

The Jets shot their wad in free agency and under league rules, had to clear $12,000,000.00 from their team salary in order to sign a 39 year old QB for 1 year. Chad made WAY more than Clemons, so he had to go.

He also hadn't started a game since High School and the Pats players have been dropping like flies.

Pennington has been in the NFL a long time and has only thrown 12 TD's this year. 12!

The last 2 QB's to win the MVP threw a combined 99 TD's. I'll be amazed if Chad throws 15.

Even if the Pats somehow manage to win the AFCE, Cassel shouldn't get any MVP consideration IMO.

Yup, only 12 TD's. Guess what? He still has the same record as your team.

Archived