Chad Pennington, MVP?

NY JETS 29

I just had Mike and Mike on and they were talking about the MVP race and they attempted to make an argument for Jay Cutler and Chad Pennington. I thought about it myself and as I don't think he has a shot at winning the MVP I do believe you can make an argument for him as a legit candidate, thoughts?

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just had Mike and Mike on and they were talking about the MVP race and they attempted to make an argument for Jay Cutler and Chad Pennington. I thought about it myself and as I don't think he has a shot at winning the MVP I do believe you can make an argument for him as a legit candidate, thoughts?

Absolutely not.

Because any argument you can make for Chad Pennington as MVP, you can make a stronger one for Matt Ryan.

Absolutely not.

Because any argument you can make for Chad Pennington as MVP, you can make a stronger one for Matt Ryan.

i love matty ice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

phins won 1-15 last year

if phins win div at 11-5 ....give chad kudos

no one is more critical of penne than me

i love matty ice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

phins won 1-15 last year

if phins win div at 11-5 ....give chad kudos

no one is more critical of penne than me

The Falcons sucked last year too... Or have we forgotten?

The Falcons also have more yards per game, and more points per game.

Ryan has more TDs as well and an identical TD/INT ratio.

Chad has been valuable in getting the Fins out of the dumpster, and making them a decent team. Is there any more credit you want to give than that?

The Falcons sucked last year too... Or have we forgotten?

The Falcons also have more yards per game, and more points per game.

Ryan has more TDs as well and an identical TD/INT ratio.

Chad has been valuable in getting the Fins out of the dumpster, and making them a decent team. Is there any more credit you want to give than that?

matty ice is my choice...could be best QB evah

who do i think will win, if phins win Div(i do not think they will) Chad will win it.

I didn't know Dan Henning made plays ? Learn something new everyday.

As far as Chad is conerned. You could probably throw him in there but would he win it ? Only if the Dolphins won the Super Bowl and I don't think that is happening.

You can look at a Kerry Collins who comes off the bench to lead the Titans to a 12-1 record. Matt Ryan (although I doubt they would give to a rookie). You can throw Eli in the mix, considering the year the Giants are having missing Strahan, Usi and now Plaxico.

Chad? Matt Ryan? Eli? Are you guys kidding me? Perhaps everyone is thinking of the Kurt Warner that turned the ball over 4 times in the 1st Half against the Jets, but look at the numbers:

- 1st in pass attempts

- 1st in completion % (the above stat makes this that much more impressive)

- 2nd in passing yardage

- 3rd in TD passes

- 2nd in QB rating (the stat that everyone uses to prove Chad's "greatness")

- 4th in TD-INT ratio (for QB's with over 200 attempts - yes, also better than Chad)

Add in the fact that they won their (albeit, weak) division and I don't see a strong argument for anyone else. I realize that he has two excellent WR's, but you could say the same for other highly-acclaimed QB's (Montana, Bradshaw, etc).

Chad? Matt Ryan? Eli? Are you guys kidding me? Perhaps everyone is thinking of the Kurt Warner that turned the ball over 4 times in the 1st Half against the Jets, but look at the numbers:

- 1st in pass attempts

- 1st in completion % (the above stat makes this that much more impressive)

- 2nd in passing yardage

- 3rd in TD passes

- 2nd in QB rating (the stat that everyone uses to prove Chad's "greatness")

- 4th in TD-INT ratio (for QB's with over 200 attempts - yes, also better than Chad)

Add in the fact that they won their (albeit, weak) division and I don't see a strong argument for anyone else. I realize that he has two excellent WR's, but you could say the same for other highly-acclaimed QB's (Montana, Bradshaw, etc).

haha

what is warner's record on road??

AZ is loaded at WR and AZ is in worst conference in NFl

spare me this MVP talk

Chad is doing more with less at the WR position then Matt Ryan and Kurt Warner. (Just using those two because they were the 2 QB's mentioned in the thread)

Penny won't win the MVP, or come close, but the question is can you form an argument that he deserves to be considered a legit candidate and I think the answer is yes.

1-5 to a "potential" 11-5 record.

4th in Conf in Yard, 8th Total. (3,062)

93.7 QB Rating (Most overall stat in the league, but still)

12 TD

6 INT

66.4 compl. %

The most attractive stat you would be able to use as an argument would be the fact his team went 11-5 and won the division after a 1-15 season with a good numbers.

haha

what is warner's record on road??

AZ is loaded at WR and AZ is in worst conference in NFl

spare me this MVP talk

Umm... Arizona is 3-4 on the road and all 4 losses have come on the East coast. The record for West coast teams traveling east is something like 2-15 this season. Last season, While West-to-East teams went 3-15, while East-to-West teams were 4-10.

I also neglected to point out that his team is ranked dead last in rushing yards per game.

Umm... Arizona is 3-4 on the road and all 4 losses have come on the East coast. The record for West coast teams traveling east is something like 2-15 this season. Last season, While West-to-East teams went 3-15, while East-to-West teams were 4-10.

I also neglected to point out that his team is ranked dead last in rushing yards per game.

please tell us who he beat on road?

Chad is doing more with less at the WR position then Matt Ryan and Kurt Warner. (Just using those two because they were the 2 QB's mentioned in the thread)

Penny won't win the MVP, or come close, but the question is can you form an argument that he deserves to be considered a legit candidate and I think the answer is yes.

12 TD

6 INT

66.4 compl. %

The most attractive stat you would be able to use as an argument would be the fact his team went 11-5 and won the division after a 1-15 season with a good numbers.

Yes, because Chad Pennington is the only difference between the 2007 Dolphins that went 1-15 and this year's squad. ](*,)

You want to see what Pennington brings to a football team? Miami is:

- 8th in the league in passing YPG

- 12th in the league in rushing YPG

- 10th in total YPG

- 23rd in PPG

12 TD

6 INT

66.4 compl. %

Oh come on, enough with the bull**** excuses. I couldn't even get through half a sentence of this post before we were already justifying why Chad isn't capable of running an effective offense. Its amazing how for Chad's career his WRs have ALWAYS sucked. Especially considering on two separate occasions there have been WRs have went from playing with Chad to a different QB, and gone on to have career years and make the Pro Bowl. How many years did we hear about how god awful Atlanta's WRs were when Vick was their QB? Now suddenly they're a bunch of superstars apparently. But no, please, lets keep the excuses for Chad coming.

Chad won't get a single vote for MVP and he certainly shouldn't. Some of you people still never cease to amaze me.

Oh come on, enough with the bull**** excuses. I couldn't even get through half a sentence of this post before we were already justifying why Chad isn't capable of running an effective offense. Its amazing how for Chad's career his WRs have ALWAYS sucked. Especially considering on two separate occasions there have been WRs have went from playing with Chad to a different QB, and gone on to have career years and make the Pro Bowl. How many years did we hear about how god awful Atlanta's WRs were when Vick was their QB? Now suddenly they're a bunch of superstars apparently. But no, please, lets keep the excuses for Chad coming.

Chad won't get a single vote for MVP and he certainly shouldn't. Some of you people still never cease to amaze me.

The question was can you argue that he can be considered an MVP candidate, I'm not saying he is, just that there can be an argument there for consideration. The topic came up on Mike and Mike this morning, was just curious to see what thoughts were.

But your way more knowledgeable then anyone else, sorry.

No question he has to receive mention for the award, but other QB's have better stats.

Any time you come to a terrible situation and help to turn the team to respectability, you have to receive consideration.

Of course, a lot of anti-Chad people will start in on how very little of the Dolphins' turnaround is due to Pennington, but at this point of the season they are only listening to themselves.

But your way more knowledgeable then anyone else, sorry.

My apologies for basing my arguments on little things like facts and objective analysis. I'm sorry if those are getting in the way of all the excuses and justifications people are trying to make for Chad.

I don't want to upset anyone, so let me just make sure I have this right: Chad should be MVP because his WRs are the worst in the league, his defense is terrible, his running game does nothing (or only ever has success due to his awe-inpsiring play-action) and he wins games all by myself in spite of every other player on his team and his coaching staff.

If Miami goes 11-5 the MVP, before Pennington, is that douchebag Joey Porter and the 20+ sacks it looks like he's going to end up with.

Without him Miami is scoring a FG less per game (at least) as the defense wouldn't get off the field, and Captain Noodlearm would be "leading" his team to 16-17 ppg as he usually does.

Of course, a lot of anti-Chad people will start in on how very little of the Dolphins' turnaround is due to Pennington, but at this point of the season they are only listening to themselves.

Pennington was 1-7 as a starter last season with the Jets, with his lone victory being a 3-point triumph over the hapless Dolphins... what do you think the 2007 Dolphins record would've been with him at the helm of that squad?

The fact that they went from the 30th ranked defense last season in points allowed to the 9th ranked team wouldn't be a small factor in their turnaround, would it?

Their 26th ranked offense (in points scored) jumped all the way up to 23rd in the league this season. Yup, the turnaround has "CHAD" written all over it.

Pennington was 1-7 as a starter last season with the Jets, with his lone victory being a 3-point triumph over the hapless Dolphins... what do you think the 2007 Dolphins record would've been with him at the helm of that squad?

The fact that they went from the 30th ranked defense last season in points allowed to the 9th ranked team wouldn't be a small factor in their turnaround, would it?

Their 26th ranked offense (in points scored) jumped all the way up to 23rd in the league this season. Yup, the turnaround has "CHAD" written all over it.

Hey, do the dolphins have a run game that's decent?

Come on JH, everyone knows the reason the defense is better is because of Chad. Plus its pretty obvious that a 3 place jump in rank on offense is much more impressive than a 21 place jump in defensive rank. That's just simple math.

My apologies for basing my arguments on little things like facts and objective analysis. I'm sorry if those are getting in the way of all the excuses and justifications people are trying to make for Chad.

I don't want to upset anyone, so let me just make sure I have this right: Chad should be MVP because his WRs are the worst in the league, his defense is terrible, his running game does nothing (or only ever has success due to his awe-inpsiring play-action) and he wins games all by myself in spite of every other player on his team and his coaching staff.

Meanwhile, you still have Pennington in you Avatar... In a Jets jersey :rolleyes:

Terrible recievers? That's why Chad has over 3,000 yards so far?

Terrible defense? Time to re-check your stats.

I'm not going to even respond to your pathetic sumation of our running game.

Archived