Clark's hit No fine

afosomf

If you are going to argue over hits Know the Rules

Steelers safety Ryan Clark delivered a crunching blow to Ravens running back Willis McGahee in the AFC championship game that had McGahee carted off on a stretcher. The hit -- in which Clark's helmet made contact with McGahee's helmet -- probably resonated with some New England fans because Clark had also knocked Patriots receiver Wes Welker out of a game this year with a big hit.

Clark wasn't fined for the hit on Welker, and he won't be fined for the hit on McGahee, either.

A league spokesman explained today why Clark won't be fined for the McGahee hit:

"[McGahee] had completed the catch and was a runner. Helmet-to-helmet contact is legal in that situation as it is for any ball carrier (running back, quarterback, or receiver). Helmet-to-helmet contact is prohibited against defenseless players (defined as a receiver in the process of making a catch or a quarterback in the act of passing)."

Steelers safety Ryan Clark delivered a crunching blow to Ravens running back Willis McGahee in the AFC championship game that had McGahee carted off on a stretcher. The hit -- in which Clark's helmet made contact with McGahee's helmet -- probably resonated with some New England fans because Clark had also knocked Patriots receiver Wes Welker out of a game this year with a big hit.

Clark wasn't fined for the hit on Welker, and he won't be fined for the hit on McGahee, either.

A league spokesman explained today why Clark won't be fined for the McGahee hit:

"[McGahee] had completed the catch and was a runner. Helmet-to-helmet contact is legal in that situation as it is for any ball carrier (running back, quarterback, or receiver). Helmet-to-helmet contact is prohibited against defenseless players (defined as a receiver in the process of making a catch or a quarterback in the act of passing)."

This league and their rules are moronic. The play shouldn't be fined because the player didn't "lead with his head", at least not with the intent to spear MacGahee with his helmet. IMO, he was trying to hit with his shoulder and the back ducked into head to head contact. Now they are going to tell me that it is legal to go jacking players head first to the helmet? Smart.

This league and their rules are moronic. The play shouldn't be fined because the player didn't "lead with his head", at least not with the intent to spear MacGahee with his helmet. IMO, he was trying to hit with his shoulder and the back ducked into head to head contact. Now they are going to tell me that it is legal to go jacking players head first to the helmet? Smart.

Rule is pretty clear to me

leading wiht your helmet should be outlawed for any player, reagrdless of situation. this just gives players the go ahead to use their helmet as a weapon.

He led with shoulder

Spearing has always been not allowed..this was not a spear!!

Running backs would rather be hit high than at the knees..ask everyone

of them!!!

Yeah, it clearly says that it's okay to hit a player in the head with your helmet. I'm good with not fining this guy because that wasn't his intent, but to say it's okay to drill a player in the head with your helmet because he's not "defenseless" is dopey and not in the best interests of football. I can only assume that they are saying the intent doesn't matter crap they pulled on the Boldin hit and others does not apply here, but that is not what it sounds like.

He led with shoulder

Spearing has always been not allowed..this was not a spear!!

Running backs would rather be hit high than at the knees..ask everyone

of them!!!

I don't think Clark used his helmet as a weapon in this situation.

Agreed.

Eric Smith's hit wasn't intentional either. But because Boldin was in the process of catching it makes the difference between $0 and $50k is demented. Smith's was just as accidental as Clarks but Clark was actually leaning into McGahee for the hit.

This is so stupid.

He probably didnt get fined because he's on his way to the Superbowl.

Yeah, it clearly says that it's okay to hit a player in the head with your helmet. I'm good with not fining this guy because that wasn't his intent, but to say it's okay to drill a player in the head with your helmet because he's not "defenseless" is dopey and not in the best interests of football. I can only assume that they are saying the intent doesn't matter crap they pulled on the Boldin hit and others does not apply here, but that is not what it sounds like.

here is definition

Helmet-to-helmet contact is prohibited against defenseless players (defined as a receiver in the process of making a catch or a quarterback in the act of passing)."

only 2 choices!!!

that is the rule and it is spelled out

Dominator, I believe you're misconstruing the rule.

Spearing with the helmet is illegal under any circumstances.

Spearing is different from "helmet-to-helmet" contact. Spearing is intentionally trying to tackle a player by leading with the helmet, while "helmet-to-helmet" contact is the mere collision, for any reason, of two or more helmets by opposing players.

Thus, where the player is defensless, any helmet-to-helmet contact is illegal regardless if the defender is leading with his helmet or not. In other words, inadvertant helmet-to-helmet contact is illegal for a defenseless player.

But when the player is not defenseless, only spearing is illegal.

Spearing is different from "helmet-to-helmet" contact. Spearing is intentionally trying to tackle a player by leading with the helmet, while "helmet-to-helmet" contact is the mere collision, for any reason, of two or more helmets by opposing players.

Thus, where the player is defensless, any helmet-to-helmet contact is illegal regardless if the defender is leading with his helmet or not. In other words, inadvertant helmet-to-helmet contact is illegal for a defenseless player.

right on point SMC!!

So they are terribly inconsistent, what else is new?

this league is getting so hard to watch, i hope the ufl is a reality.

do you remember the kid who used to make changes to the rules as the game went on? thats how the nfl has become.

I'm not misconstruing the rule, I'm responding to a stupid quote. Obviously you are not allowed to intentionally spear (lead with helmet) somebody. The quote makes it seem like you can. It's bull**** that they don't pay attention to intent. You shouldn't be allowed to intentionally lead with your helmet and (like facemasks) it should apply to offensive players too.

Archived