Kipers latest top 25- for discussion

faba

Brown sprints his way to No. 1

By Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN Insider

Mel Kiper Archive

The combine has offered up a new leader on my Big Board of the top 25 NFL prospects: Auburn running back Ronnie Brown, who showed more speed in Indianapolis than most expected.

He supplants Texas running back Cedric Benson, while Michigan wide receiver Braylon Edwards holds steady at No. 2 and USC wide receiver Mike Williams is back in the top three after occupying the top spot for a majority of the regular season. Wide receiver Roddy White of UAB makes the biggest jump this week, going from No. 18 to No. 12 on the heels of a good combine showing, while tight end Heath Miller of Virginia fell from No. 11 to No. 19 thanks to injury concerns.

The board also features one newcomer this week, Nebraska junior cornerback Fabian Washington, a terrific all-around athlete who ran one of the fastest 40s ever recorded at the Combine.

Washington's appearance on the list means 19 schools are now represented on the Big Board, including three Auburn players (two of the top eight) and two apiece for Florida State, Oklahoma, Texas and USC.

Ronnie Brown rushed for 928 yards and caught 34 passes in 2004.1. Ronnie Brown, RB, Auburn (6-foot-0, 230 pounds) | previous rank: 3

Had an outstanding workout at the combine, running the 40 in 4.48 while weighing around 230, which only adds to the already impressive profile Brown has. He showed against several opponents in 2004 that he is one of the most complete backs in the nation, running and catching the ball with equal skill. He averaged over six yards per carry this season and had 34 catches. Brown has the size, instincts, power and quickness to put up unbelievable numbers and would have been a Heisman candidate had he been the clear-cut No. 1 on the depth chart. An explosive powerhouse with speed and strength.

2. Braylon Edwards, WR, Michigan (6-2

Thats another tough one - sure would be nice to get a game changing DB to really cement Donnie's D - but we cant expect to fill both lines with kinda ok guys and move that notch up this year.

The only problem I would have with taking a OT in the first round is that the draft is so deep at that position you may be able to get the same value in the 2nd or even 3rd round. DT is a different story though. I think the Jets would need to trade up to get an impact one of those.

im not rigs but i think Barron is a bust waiting to happen

there are two legit OT prospects Barnes and Brown - after that there's alot of crap - it's very weak crop

I like Brown, myself, B. I was just trying to imagine what the Jets would do at #11 if they deal Abe. Clearing up cap space so recently leads me to believe there's something on the horizon, and I'm trying to figure what it is. IMO, Brown would be niiiiiiiice.

at this point i would say the chances of Abe getting dealt for picks are slim and none -

also i don't truly believe that any of the sub 5 sec ot will make it out of the top 20

Bit, my Magic 8-Ball is telling me that Abe is gone. Sorry.

remember my gut is already up 1 to nothin on your magic 8 ball

you can't mess with a guinea gut instinct bro

Good point. I'm going to have to get out my Irishman's divining rod for this one. I'll check back later. You may want to consult your twice-baked lasagna trick, paisan. :lol:

I've got to do more homework on these OT's and DT's.

At first glance, OT seems ok. DT, That's another story altogether. Some areas in this draft are very weak.

Brown would be ideal at T for The Jets.

As for Mel Kiper's list.

Derrick Johnson and Antrell Rolle have to be higher. Those are the two top defenders in the draft.

The two QB's suck. JMO. Where is Thomas Davis? If he falls to us, We have to consider taking him.

Question of course with Davis is where will he play in the pros. I watched him alot last year. Georgia has alot of talent. Davis was a force rushing the passer from The SS position. Very Rodney Harrison like in that aspect. Teams might move this guy to OLB in the 3-4. I think he should play SS in the pros.

im not rigs but i think Barron is a bust waiting to happen

there are two legit OT prospects Barnes and Brown - after that there's alot of crap - it's very weak crop

Thanks TS, I have officially handed Bitonti all powers to rank O-lineman and DT's (the "fat players")....Unless he spells a name a wrong, I won't question it---although I wonder about Michael Munoz getting a lot of attention :wink: :twisted:

Bit was a college lineman, so he's kind of like Net draft expert Rob Rang (who only played H.S line)... except he played at a higher level.

The folks over at ESPN think Barron is in that 2nd tier of elite lineman...(bottom half of round 1)..

When Winston was injured and D'Brickshaw and Whitworth stayed in school, the OT spot took a major hit.

although I wonder about Michael Munoz getting a lot of attention :wink: :twisted:

i've moved him to guard on the rankings - he is slipping

the x factor to remember about munoz is his dad was also very injury prone - almost as bad as his son - and he went on to HOF career

This is kinda what I meant by my earlier post but worded it wrong. IMO, between Barron, Terry, Loper, and Munoz. There is pretty equal value from the late first to the 3rd round. All of them have a question mark. But all of them have good LT potential as well, jmho.

Munoz is a statue, and not half the athlete his father was. I followed this kid since he was a high-school All-Star, and there just ain't nothing there. Whether it be inuries or just a lack of athleticism, Munoz blows now. If his name was Mike Smith, he'd last until the 6th round. Holla.

Isn't anyone interested in Carlos Rogers anymore?

Tabor Jet

I think alot of people including myself now see a big problem in our offensive line- since we have not signed anyone as a free agent and we really knew McKenzie was not staying.

This has lessened the talk of drafting a corner right now in round one-Rodgers actually helped himself at the combine with his results.

Tabor, I love Rogers, myself. I'm with faba, though. The free agent pool is depleted of lineman, and if the Jets fail to get somebody (unless Adrian Jones is ready) in the draft, it can be a loooong year. We can always wait until June 1st and pick up a stopgap player like Bob Whitfield (Jags), but I'd hate to be sitting there June 1st praying for luck.

In the best case scenario, Jason Fabini would be a RT by the start of camp. As it looks now, however, that ain't happenin'

Archived