Jets Interested in Robert Royal?

jetfan718

Jets extend Sheppard's contract

February 28, 2009

A little side note about the Lito Sheppard trade: The Jets did re-work his contract, according to a league source. Originally, he had three years, $11 million remaining on his deal. I don't have all the particulars of the new contract, but I know the Jets extended it by a year and inserted "new" money into 2010. For now, his base salary for 2009 will remain at $3 million.

In addition to Ravens S Jim Leonhard, who will be arriving tonight for a visit, the Jets also are expecting former Bills TE Robert Royal to visit this evening. This was first reported by Lisa Zimmerman on her blog, jettingaroundwithlisaz.blogspot.com, and later confirmed.

Royal is an interesting player. He's got some receiving ability, as he caught 33 passes for 351 yards (both career highs) and a touchdown last season. The Bills cut him because of cap considerations (he was due to count $8 million) and he battled injuries last season.

The Jets are looking for an every-down tight end to replace Chris Baker and complement pass-catching

One of the worst starters in the NFL at any position. Royal has hands like patio blocks, fumbles too many of the passes he does catch, and gets flagged too often to justify his rep as a blocking tight end.

Couldn't have said it any better myself. Robert Royal is horrendous, and I can't believe people pay him money to play football.

Archived