Robinson Cano, Damaso Marte return to New York Yankees camp with injuries

ChadLover

I would be so pissed if I am the Yankees. Cano knew he was hurt and left to play anyway hoping it would get better and Marte got hurt and then pitched in the WBC anyway.

Robinson Cano, Damaso Marte return to New York Yankees camp with injuries

by Marc Carig/The Star-Ledger Friday March 13, 2009, 2:34 PM

TAMPA, Fla. -- Yankees second baseman Robinson Cano and reliever Damaso Marte returned to camp from the World Baseball Classic on Friday, bringing with them injuries that may sideline them for a few days. Team doctors will examine both players on Saturday.

Cano said he felt some stiffness behind his right shoulder, which he said began bothering him even before he left Yankees camp for the WBC, though he said the team didn't know. He played through the condition for his native Dominican Republic, finishing with three hits in a team-high 13 at-bats over three games, though the Dominicans failed to get past the first round.

"It never went away," said Cano, who thought the stiffness in his right shoulder would subside with stretching.

Marte said he felt tightness in his left pectoral muscles while lifting weights on Tuesday morning. Later in the day, Marte pitched one inning with a two strikeouts in the Dominican Republic's tournament-ending loss to the Netherlands.

"Hopefully it's not much," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said. "Hopefully both of them bounce back quickly. But it's not how you want them coming back

What does a tight shoulder have to do with a bad attitude?

It has to do with Cano not telling the Yanks that he was hurt, and continuing to play for the Dominicans after he was hurt. It's an attitude of I'm going to do what I want, and what's best for me, rather than the team. Just like not running out ground balls, taking pitches, giving a half-a$$ed effort in the field, not covering bases, etc. His attitude is why Girardi finally benched him last year. Cano has the talent to be all world, but keeping this injury from the Yanks and playing on it has shown, IMO, once again, that he more concerned with himself than the Yankees.

It has to do with Cano not telling the Yanks that he was hurt, and continuing to play for the Dominicans after he was hurt. It's an attitude of I'm going to do what I want, and what's best for me, rather than the team. Just like not running out ground balls, taking pitches, giving a half-a$$ed effort in the field, not covering bases, etc. His attitude is why Girardi finally benched him last year. Cano has the talent to be all world, but keeping this injury from the Yanks and playing on it has shown, IMO, once again, that he more concerned with himself than the Yankees.

I'm with you on that. His attitude sucks.

I would be so pissed if I am the Yankees. Cano knew he was hurt and left to play anyway hoping it would get better and Marte got hurt and then pitched in the WBC anyway.

Don't care about the other two as much, but Cano is a huge part of our lineup.

Archived