Building the Case: Leon Washington Can Be a Full-Time Back

SoFlaJets

i think we all agree that leon needs more carries. I for one wouldnt mind him being the full time back after TJ moves on. and like i said to 124 before if this TJ contract situation gets out of hand (which i doubt it will) and we could trade him for say Cutler or another major player i would feel comfortable with Leon being our starter.

i think we all agree that leon needs more carries. I for one wouldnt mind him being the full time back after TJ moves on. and like i said to 124 before if this TJ contract situation gets out of hand (which i doubt it will) and we could trade him for say Cutler or another major player i would feel comfortable with Leon being our starter.

me too L-52...one thing Leon has shown us ever since his first training camp (working on his pass protecting with Curtis) is that nobody works harder and has a better work ethic than #29.

We see LW getting stopped behind the line for losses a lot but I believe that the more carries hge gets the better he'll be. I like the Tiki Barber comparison-Barber came into HIS own once he was given the full time starting role

I wouldn't be comfortable with Leon being THE RB. I think he's great as a change of pace runner and as a special teamer but I honestly don't think he'd hold up over the course of a 16 game season.

As much as I love Leon, I don't agree. Leon would be most effective returning kicks and carrying the ball 150 times a season. There is no way I can see using Leon for 250-300 carries a season, I don't think he's built that way and it could limit his effectiveness.

me too L-52...one thing Leon has shown us ever since his first training camp (working on his pass protecting with Curtis) is that nobody works harder and has a better work ethic than #29.

We see LW getting stopped behind the line for losses a lot but I believe that the more carries hge gets the better he'll be. I like the Tiki Barber comparison-Barber came into HIS own once he was given the full time starting role

Jimmy. How'd the surgery go ?

Jimmy. How'd the surgery go ?

it went OK-still sore as hell-I see the piano being my instrument of choice for a lot of what I'm going to be doing the next couple of weeks-I've been practicing a lot-in between reading all the Cutler stuff

it went OK-still sore as hell-I see the piano being my instrument of choice for a lot of what I'm going to be doing the next couple of weeks-I've been practicing a lot-in between reading all the Cutler stuff

You seem to be typing fine. Here's to a speedy recovery. :cheers:

I've believed all along that Leon could be the Jets' feature back. I've always felt that the size argument was BS. I'd love to see him get 200 carries a year while TJ wonders where his next paycheck is coming from.

Leon is a situational running back. A very good situational running back but if you try to line him up full time you have Reggie Muff Part Deux on your hands. He needs to be utilized much like a Kevin Faulk or Darren Sproles with a few more carries since he's probably a little better runner than either of them.

Leon is a situational running back. A very good situational running back but if you try to line him up full time you have Reggie Muff Part Deux on your hands. He needs to be utilized much like a Kevin Faulk or Darren Sproles with a few more carries since he's probably a little better runner than either of them.

Agreed.

125-150 carries per season would be the perfect scenario, IMO.

Steve Slaton: 5'9" + 197 lbs.

Maurice Jones-Drew: 5'7" + 208 lbs.

DeAngelo Williams: 5'8" + 210 lbs.

Willie Parker: 5'10" + 209 lbs.

Brian Westbrook: 5'10' + 203 lbs.

Warrick Dunn: 5'9" + 187 lbs.

Chris Johnson: 5'11" + 197 lbs.

I think he can handle more than 100-150 carries, but I don't think I'd like to see much more than ~200. 10-15 carries per game isn't what puts a beating on a RB; it's 20-25 carries week-in/week-out that does.

I don't generally like the 20-25 carries each week for a single back anyway. Few superbowl winners have used that formula in recent years.

The last one was New England in 2004 (and was the beginning of the end of Corey Dillon's career).

Last one before that was 1998 (and was also the beginning of the end of Terrell Davis' career). By the way, TD was 206 lbs when he was drafted & eventually bulked up to a massive 210 lbs.

There has to be more of a balance. I don't want to see Leon Washington getting 300+ carries, but 100-125 is cutting too much potential from the offense. Hell, people were screaming that he only had 70-80 carries/yr the past two seasons. Would another 3 carries per game really cause people to say, "Ah, he's finally being used enough..."?

Archived