BEER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Ryno the Jet

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When I bartended, I ALWAYS poured the Guinness in 3 stages. This would piss off the waitresses on a busy night, but my customers at the bar appreciated it. I also NEVER put a shamrock on it. I always felt that cheesy and a little like graffiti.

If you're not keen on Guinness, try Beamish or Murphy's. I actually prefer those 2 over Guinness myself.

ive had Murphys before that some good stuff!!!

Sorry I'm late to this party. Any love for the Trappist?

trappist-beer-2.jpg

trappist_gift_pack_big.JPG

I came across Trappist beer when I was on a school trip from Scotland to Belgium. I was 15. It was legal to drink at that age there. We spent a few afternoons chilling in Bruges, Brussels and Waterloo sampling beer. A waste on a 15 year old palate, but I have refound my love for this beer and The Spirithaus in Amherst has an excellent Trappist selection.

From wikipedia:

"A Trappist beer is a beer brewed by or under control of Trappist monks. Of the world's 171 Trappist monasteries (as of April 2005), seven produce beer (six in Belgium and one in The Netherlands). Only these seven breweries are authorized to label their beers with the Authentic Trappist Product logo that indicates a compliance to various rules edicted by the International Trappist Association.........For the beers, these criteria are the following:

The beer must be brewed within the walls of a Trappist abbey, by or under control of Trappist monks.

The brewery, the choices of brewing, and the commercial orientations must obviously depend on the monastic community.

The economic purpose of the brewery must be directed toward assistance and not toward financial profit."

If you've never tasted a Trappist beer, you've never had beer.

Brooklyn Lager is great, but a tad light for my liking...trippels on the other hand...

westmalle_tripel.jpg

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

tonight it was:

new-belgium-trippel.gif

I introduced the board to the Westmalle Trippel (a true Trappist Ale) and New Belgium Trippel (Trappist style) a few pages ago. You are correct, sir; they are fantabuloso!

I must go to Belgium! Give us a report on your brewery trip, please!

When I bartended, I ALWAYS poured the Guinness in 3 stages. This would piss off the waitresses on a busy night, but my customers at the bar appreciated it. I also NEVER put a shamrock on it. I always felt that cheesy and a little like graffiti.

If you're not keen on Guinness, try Beamish or Murphy's. I actually prefer those 2 over Guinness myself.

ive had Murphys before that some good stuff!!!

I know Guinness is the most popular, but there are soooooooo many great Stouts out there. Guinness really is not Stout, as the style is meant to be correlative to the name. Your true Stouts should be very strong. My personal favorite is the Victory Storm King!

victory_stormking.jpg

I introduced the board to the Westmalle Trippel (a true Trappist Ale) and New Belgium Trippel (Trappist style) a few pages ago. You are correct, sir; they are fantabuloso!

I must go to Belgium! Give us a report on your brewery trip, please!

I wish I could go to a Trappist Monastery. My story goes back to 1988. I picked up some Chimay today and I'm sampling it right now. It is heaven. Your beer is from Colorado, so that is NOT a true Trappist beer. I think you listed a Belgian Abbey Style beer. As good as that is, you should sample only the current monasteries that are regarded as "true" Trappist (I believe 6 Belgian and 1 Dutch?). The Chimay I opened an hour ago meant unwinding a wire and popping a cork. Not saying that to be elitist, but saying that it was pretty damn cool to do so.

EDIT: My bad, I do see the Westmalle listed by yourself. Excellent choice!

I wish I could go to a Trappist Monastery. My story goes back to 1988. I picked up some Chimay today and I'm sampling it right now. It is heaven. Your beer is from Colorado, so that is NOT a true Trappist beer. I think you listed a Belgian Abbey Style beer. As good as that is, you should sample only the current monasteries that are regarded as "true" Trappist (I believe 6 Belgian and 1 Dutch?). The Chimay I opened an hour ago meant unwinding a wire and popping a cork. Not saying that to be elitist, but saying that it was pretty damn cool to do so.

EDIT: My bad, I do see the Westmalle listed by yourself. Excellent choice!

Yes, the New Belgium brewery is Colorado. I enjoy their beers, but obviously, their Trippel does not come close to comparing to the Westmalle version. The Chimay is heavenly as well, and opening the corked bottle never gets old!

I tried this Belgium Style Strong Ale yesterday:

Beer Style: Belgian Strong Golden Ale

Hop Variety: Styrian Goldings

Malt Variety: Two-row barley, cara 8, cara 20

OG: 1.080 Alcohol By Volume: 9.0% IBU's: 25

Color: Golden

The success of HOG HEAVEN and THE REVEREND clearly demonstrates that beer drinkers are willing to embrace "BIGGER" beers. In the fall of 2001, we decided that a lighter BIG BEER would complement its darker colored predecessors. Salvation has luscious apricot and peach aromas delicately interwoven with spicy suggestions of nutmeg and cinnamon. This heavenly soft, champagne-like elixer is cellarable for 3 years.

AWESOME!

Really close to the quality of a Trappist. Everything I have ever had form Avery has always been true to from and of the utmost quality.

I have a few updates:

Had a local brewery's version of an Imperial IPA yesterday at lunch. Independence Brewery (Austin, TX), Stash IPA. Not bad, but nothing real special. They are a young brewery and their beers keep improving.

I followed it up with this:

0830746001500.done.jpg

OMFG! AWESOME!! A red IPA! Amazing aroma and flavor. Very dry finish keeps you thirsting for more! Get some!

Green Flash Brewery (San Diego, CA), Hop Head Red.

Just before bed :) , I had a 22oz Bear Republic Brewery, Hop Rod Rye:

2661374529_d27c855876.jpg?v=0

hot_rod_rye_large.jpg

Fantastic!

As for today...I hopped :lol: around a bit.

Started of with Lagunitas (Sonoma Co., CA), Maximus IPA:

P1000483.JPG

Not too shabby!

Followed it up with Boulevard (Kansas, MO), Old Irish Ale

21123.jpg

Yet another quality beer from Boulevard! Alk, try this when you get a chance. Smooth, deep flavor, with good body without a strong alcohol flavor.

Right now I am enjoying a Dogfish Head (Milton, Delaware), 90 Minute Imperial IPA:

dogfish-head-90-minute-ipa.jpg

So good it is not fair. They come in four packs, and at 9% ALC/Vol, that is likely a good thing, but wow, what a great beer! Almost above beer. Maybe should be called something else? Nevertheless, everyone should give this one a shot, but be ready; it will knock you on your arse!

CHEERS!

:cheers:

Right now I am enjoying a Dogfish Head (Milton, Delaware), 90 Minute Imperial IPA:

dogfish-head-90-minute-ipa.jpg

So good it is not fair. They come in four packs, and at 9% ALC/Vol, that is likely a good thing, but wow, what a great beer! Almost above beer. Maybe should be called something else? Nevertheless, everyone should give this one a shot, but be ready; it will knock you on your arse!

CHEERS!

:cheers:

I'm going to have to see if they even sell that stuff in Kansas. If they do, I'm all over it.

I know you can order online from here:

http://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits/fish-finder.htm

Also, since your are near KC, try Boulevard's Saison:

saison.jpg

Nice big beer to have with dinner.

PROSIT!

Is that a fairly new beer? I took a tour of Boulevard just about a year ago and they didn't have that one. Right now I'm drinking another Boulevard IPA. I'm liking it more and more every time I drink it.

Is that a fairly new beer? I took a tour of Boulevard just about a year ago and they didn't have that one. Right now I'm drinking another Boulevard IPA. I'm liking it more and more every time I drink it.

Yes, it is a part of the Smokestack Series http://www.blvdbeer.com/smokestack/. There are four:

the Double-Wide IPA, the Quadrupel, the Tripel, and the Saison.

Only one I have not tried is the Quadrupel, but I am sure it is just as good as the rest! Boulevard is on top of their game and their brews rock a$$!

Yes, it is a part of the Smokestack Series http://www.blvdbeer.com/smokestack/. There are four:

Only one I have not tried is the Quadrupel, but I am sure it is just as good as the rest! Boulevard is on top of their game and their brews rock a$$!

The place is cool too. I don't remember if I told this story but I have a good friend who works in the office there. He took us on a midnight tour of the place. They had one room where they had a basketball goal set up. Supposedly every Friday they had a pickup game. Anyone who didn't want to participate just kicked back and drank beer. :lol:

The place is cool too. I don't remember if I told this story but I have a good friend who works in the office there. He took us on a midnight tour of the place. They had one room where they had a basketball goal set up. Supposedly every Friday they had a pickup game. Anyone who didn't want to participate just kicked back and drank beer. :lol:

SWEET! I would be one to kick back and drink, especially at the brew haus!

What are you drinking for the draft Jets fans?

Green Flash Brewery (San Diego, CA), West Coast IPA for me:

Green%20Flash%20West%20Coast%20IPA.jpg

One of my absolute favorites!

If things go bad (or really well), I have some North Coast Brewing Co. (Fort Bragg, CA), 2008 Old Stock Ale:

brand-OldStock-pour.jpg

Vital Statistics

Style: Old Ale

Color: Mahogany

ABV: 12.5% (2008)

Bitterness: 36 IBU's

Feelin' no pain after two of these bad boys!

• 3 weeks later...

SO i finally got around to trying all four:

The Doublewide the Tippel, the Quad, and the Saison:

smokestack.jpg

all of these beers are MONEY!

Just picked up a sixer of these brews:

torpedo-header-left.gif

Torpedo-bot.jpg

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.

alcohol content 7.2% by volume yeast Ale Yeast

beginning gravity 17.8 Plato bittering hops Magnum

ending gravity 4.6 Plato

finishing hops Magnum & Crystal

bitterness units 70 dry hopping Magnum, Crystal & Citra

malts Two-row Pale, Carapils

& Crystal

Not bad...

and

The%20new%20White%20Hawk%20IPA%20Celebrator%20AD.jpg

White Hawk Select IPA

On May 31, 2002 , White Hawk Select IPA was "Released" in our Hopland Brew Pub as Brew Master Don Barkley poured the first pint!

White Hawk is a traditional IPA .The IPA recipe is based on the original 1880 brew that was sent to India for the British troops.The advent of India Pale Ale was born of a need to supply beer in the 1800's to British troops in India. This hearty, heavily hopped ale was brewed to endure the rigors of the long voyage from Great Britain.

White Hawk Original IPA was launched in California in early 2002 to meet the demand for a unique India Pale Ale. Consumer response for White Hawk IPA exceeded expectations and it is fast gaining a loyal following both in 6 pack and on draft.

Our Brewmasters created this IPA based on the original recipe and the result is perfection.

White Hawk Original IPA has a rich distinctive hop character and bold malt flavor. This Select IPA has a unique aroma, a clean finish and is brewed to satisfy connoisseurs the world over We’ve blended American West Coast Cascade Hops with a very generous dose of English Fuggle Hops. This combination makes for a very aromatic character, as well as a truly authentic English flavor which you must taste to believe.

not worth your time. :(

I am really disappointed cause this brewery names all of their beers after awesome birds! Unfortunately, the beer is not as awesome as the birds!

NOTE: Sieria Nevada Brewery is out of Chico California and Mendocino Brewing Company is out of Ukiah, California

Had this today at lunch:

harvestSOHEM_header.jpg

harvest-SOHEM_bottle.jpg

Our newest addition to our Harvest family is Southern Hemisphere Harvest. This is the first time we know of that an American brewer has put out a beer with fresh-picked hops from the southern hemisphere. The inaugural ale will debut in late April and will feature fresh Pacific Hallertau, New Zealand Motueka and New Zealand Southern Cross hops, all from New Zealand.

Like our Celebration Ale, the fresh hops in this beer are dried right after being picked then shipped immediately to Chico for brewing so that they retain their peak aromatics and flavors. To ensure the freshest hops possible, we went to the added expense of flying these hops from New Zealand to Chico so we could brew with them the week after they were picked.

alcohol content 6.7% by volume yeast Ale Yeast

beginning gravity 14.7 Plato bittering hops Pacific Halertau

ending gravity 3.9 Plato finishing hops New Zealand Motueka & New Zealand Southern Cross

bitterness units 66 malts Pale & Caramel

http://www.sierranevada.com/about/news.html#southern

picture-2.png

I just tried this yesterday and wasn't too impressed. It was dry, like seltzer, and had absolutely no after taste, which is actually good for a summer beverage, but it left me wanting more flavor.

Anyone know any other good summer ales? My buddy suggested Saranac's but I haven't gotten a chance to try it yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a ton of updates, but i'll start with my current favorite:

LagunitasHopStoopid.jpg

Lagunitas Hop Stoopid!

HOP STOOPID

From Beer Advocate:

This is just stupid.

Appearance is golden with a nice finger and a half head poured into a pint glass. A shade of orange that makes it the color more copper than straw.

Smell is of fresh fruit, pine, citrus.

The taste is even better. Smooth and creamy with a burst of hops and citrus. A completely unbalanced beer in such a great way. Look out tastebuds. This one rocks the palate with hops in the best way imaginable. No malt backbone to bring this one down. FUN! Nice bitter bite at the end and a dry finish adds to the greatness of this beer.

This is a hop lovers dream! Ridiculously hoppy and 8% Alc/V! I am going to grab a case of bombers ASAP. Another score from the guys and gals at the Lagunitas Brewery in Sonoma County, California!

picture-2.png

I just tried this yesterday and wasn't too impressed. It was dry, like seltzer, and had absolutely no after taste, which is actually good for a summer beverage, but it left me wanting more flavor.

Anyone know any other good summer ales? My buddy suggested Saranac's but I haven't gotten a chance to try it yet.

Brooklyn Brewery is always hit or miss with me. Their regular Brooklyn Lager is not worth the effort, but the Local 1 is amazing!

Local1-1.jpg

Totally re-fermented in the bottle, which is what the Trappist Monks do. About 9% Alc/V

Their Brown Ale is solid too.

00451.gif

One of my favorite Browns out there, but I don't drink them all that often.

As for summer beers, you can never go wrong with a wheat beer, like a Hefe or a Wit. Try Alagash White out of Portland, Maine:

allagash.jpg

Allagash White

Our interpretation of a traditional Belgian wheat beer, Allagash White is unique and truly refreshing. Brewed with a generous portion of wheat and our own special blend of spices, this beer is light and slightly cloudy in appearance, with a spicy aroma. Overall, it is a beer that is very drinkable and smooth any time of the year.

Available in: 12 oz and 750 ml bottles, 15.5 and 5.17 gal kegs

ABV: 5.0%

Original Gravity: 1048

Recommended Serving Temp: 34

Archived