BEER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Ryno the Jet

Not to be a smarta$$, but there is not much variety there; just different brands of wheat beers (Hefes). I would like to try them all though!

Im not a Beer connoisseur, when I want to get drunk I drink Vodka, Rum , Wine or Tequila. Beer is just what I drink when I need a slight buzz, and even then I have to drink like 6 of them to feel anything anbd by that time im already a bloated belching machine. I dont know the differences in Beer ( wheat, non wheat etc)

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Im not a Beer connoisseur, when I want to get drunk I drink Vodka, Rum , Wine or Tequila. Beer is just what I drink when I need a slight buzz, and even then I have to drink like 6 of them to feel anything anbd by that time im already a bloated belching machine. I dont know the differences in Beer ( wheat, non wheat etc)

You just need to drink stronger beers. There are plenty of great beers out there that rival the alcohol content in liquor or fine wines. In fact, most of your higher quality brews will be sweeter and stronger. Try a Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA. 20% APV; one and done!

dfh-120.jpg

You just need to drink stronger beers. There are plenty of great beers out there that rival the alcohol content in liquor or fine wines. In fact, most of your higher quality brews will be sweeter and stronger. Try a Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA. 20% APV; one and done!

dfh-120.jpg

That looks like a bottle of poison. DO NOT WANT!

I dont like dark beer, based on the commercials, its the amount of Hops in it. The only dark beer I can drink is Samuel Adams.

LOL at Sam Adams being dark beer.

SA is a lager, and while there are Black Lagers, most lagers are not dark.

Dark beers would include Stouts, Porters, Doppelbocks, and the like.

FWIW, hops do not darken beer.

LOL at Sam Adams being dark beer.

SA is a lager, and while there are Black Lagers, most lagers are not dark.

Dark beers would include Stouts, Porters, Doppelbocks, and the like.

FWIW, hops do not darken beer.

Shows how much I know about Beer outside of drinking it. Samuel Adams is as dark as that Indian Lager you posted.

Shows how much I know about Beer outside of drinking it. Samuel Adams is as dark as that Indian Lager you posted.

That was an Imperial India Pale Ale, not a Lager, but neither are considered dark. You are correct that the Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA and the Sam Adams Boston Lager are similar in color though.

Don't fear the BEER B!

Well, since nobody responded, I was on my own. I walked into the liquor store and immediately snagged a six of Boulevard IPA. After that I started browsing the shelves. One of the employees asks me if they can help me with anything. So I ask her if there are any beers that I should try. She asked what I liked so I told her I usually drink Boulevard Wheat and am trying the IPA for the first time. She gets a blank (all I drink is Bacardi Silver) looks on her face and tells me I should talk to the other guy that is working.

He asks the same questions and the next thing out of his mouth is "Have you tried Landshark?" I just about put down my beer and walked out the door. Seriously? A poor ripoff of Corona? Corona tastes like piss as it is and now you're going to try to sell me it's bastard son? I just walked off and went on my own again. I found a Sam Adams Longshot sampler and snagged it and called it a day. It came with a Double IPA, a Cranberry Wit (made by a woman, go figure) and a Traditional Bock. Last night I had the Boulevard IPA which was pretty good. I still like the Pale Ale better and the SA Double IPA which was tolerable but not something I'll probably ever buy again. Tasted almost like coffee. I don't know if I'll ever bring myself to drink the Cranberry Wit.

Well, since nobody responded, I was on my own. I walked into the liquor store and immediately snagged a six of Boulevard IPA. After that I started browsing the shelves. One of the employees asks me if they can help me with anything. So I ask her if there are any beers that I should try. She asked what I liked so I told her I usually drink Boulevard Wheat and am trying the IPA for the first time. She gets a blank (all I drink is Bacardi Silver) looks on her face and tells me I should talk to the other guy that is working.

He asks the same questions and the next thing out of his mouth is "Have you tried Landshark?" I just about put down my beer and walked out the door. Seriously? A poor ripoff of Corona? Corona tastes like piss as it is and now you're going to try to sell me it's bastard son? I just walked off and went on my own again. I found a Sam Adams Longshot sampler and snagged it and called it a day. It came with a Double IPA, a Cranberry Wit (made by a woman, go figure) and a Traditional Bock. Last night I had the Boulevard IPA which was pretty good. I still like the Pale Ale better and the SA Double IPA which was tolerable but not something I'll probably ever buy again. Tasted almost like coffee. I don't know if I'll ever bring myself to drink the Cranberry Wit.

:rl:

The store here is AWESOME... this one guy knows every beer they have and a freakin story about it... if I dont know what to get he always suggests something good...

:rl:Landshark! It amazes me the people some stores employ!

You can never go wrong with Boulevard, any style! I am not huge on Sam Adams' brews, but they have a few that are nice.

:rl:Landshark! It amazes me the people some stores employ!

You can never go wrong with Boulevard, any style! I am not huge on Sam Adams' brews, but they have a few that are nice.

Sam Adams Summer is a good summertime beer... and Bronzey would like it.

Since you guys are talking pale ales, were the ones I drank when I lived in the SF Bay Area true India Pale Ales, or an American hybrid?

Depends on what they were. IPAs have become wildly popular, and there is such a thing as an American IPA now. A true to form IPA will have a ton of hops, and it should have a nice floral aroma. A great IPA tastes almost exactly like the aftertaste of grade A pot (not that I would know :) )

Traditionally, when the brits wanted to have their favorite style of beers in India, they packed the bottles full of hops and let the beers ferment while it was shipped across the seas. That is why most IPAs will improve with age; they are constantly fermenting in the bottle. This is also why IPAs are not always as tasty on draft.

California has some great craft brewers, but I am not sure when you were in SF. My favorite brewery in Cali is Green Flash. Their West Coast IPA is far and away my favorite!

Depends on what they were. IPAs have become wildly popular, and there is such a thing as an American IPA now. A true to form IPA will have a ton of hops, and it should have a nice floral aroma. A great IPA tastes almost exactly like the aftertaste of grade A pot (not that I would know :) )

Traditionally, when the brits wanted to have their favorite style of beers in India, they packed the bottles full of hops and let the beers ferment while it was shipped across the seas. That is why most IPAs will improve with age; they are constantly fermenting in the bottle. This is also why IPAs are not always as tasty on draft.

California has some great craft brewers, but I am not sure when you were in SF. My favorite brewery in Cali is Green Flash. Their West Coast IPA is far and away my favorite!

LOL. I don't know when I've enjoyed a discussion of beer more than this. Ryno, you need your own beer forum. Very well thought out and constructed post. Thanks.

LOL. I don't know when I've enjoyed a discussion of beer more than this. Ryno, you need your own beer forum. Very well thought out and constructed post. Thanks.

Thanks, man!

I love beer. I am serious. I am not really after the buzz, although that is a nice bonus, but beer to me is art. There is sooooo much time and effort involved with crafting a quality beer.

Hell, I used to be one of the naive myself, but I now pity the drinkers of the major, watered down, most popular American brands. They are mass produced, with little attention to quality and character. When beer has an expiration (or born on [LOL!]) date, buyer beware. Beer that is sold cheap and in mass quantities should come with a warning label!

I was at the horse track last weekend, and my choices for beer were Bud, BL, Miller Lite, and Coors. :puke:

I went with BL and I must have had 8 - 10. Light is an understatement, as far as alcohol content is concerned, but I was sober, full, and miserable. You should not have to drink a gallon of beer to take the edge off IMO.

Thanks, man!

I love beer. I am serious. I am not really after the buzz, although that is a nice bonus, but beer to me is art. There is sooooo much time and effort involved with crafting a quality beer.

Hell, I used to be one of the naive myself, but I now pity the drinkers of the major, watered down, most popular American brands. They are mass produced, with little attention to quality and character. When beer has an expiration (or born on [LOL!]) date, buyer beware. Beer that is sold cheap and in mass quantities should come with a warning label!

I was at the horse track last weekend, and my choices for beer were Bud, BL, Miller Lite, and Coors. :puke:

I went with BL and I must have had 8 - 10. Light is an understatement, as far as alcohol content is concerned, but I was sober, full, and miserable. You should not have to drink a gallon of beer to take the edge off IMO.

Max, if you're reading this, give Ryno a beer forum. Great passion for the art of beer making; excellent, engaging, writing skills; humor...what more could you want.

Max, if you're reading this, give Ryno a beer forum. Great passion for the art of beer making; excellent, engaging, writing skills; humor...what more could you want.

Aw, shucks. :blush: We don't need a separate forum. The lounge is fine and appropriate. I love to drink beer while lounging!

Besides, those other forums are scary! I've peaked in on some; crickets.

Having some more Newport Storm Scotch Ale tonight... last 6 pick of it that I will ever have... this is a sad night... sort of like a beer funeral...

Enjoy them all. Don't let us down. Full report after No. 6.

As for me, guacamole and Hefeweizen!

shiner_hefeweizen.jpg

It is f'n 80* here today! Unusually toasty; so hefe it is!

Aw, shucks. :blush: We don't need a separate forum. The lounge is fine and appropriate. I love to drink beer while lounging!

Besides, those other forums are scary! I've peaked in on some; crickets.

Enjoy them all. Don't let us down. Full report after No. 6.

As for me, guacamole and Hefeweizen!

shiner_hefeweizen.jpg

It is f'n 80* here today! Unusually toasty; so hefe it is!

My report would suck after all 6 at 8% each... lol

lol@ Hooray beer. The Jamaicans arent known for Beer, but Red Stripe is really good. For people who like variety:

weisse.jpg

When I was in Germany I drank alot of Weihenstephan. I stayed in the town where it is brewed.

The hefeweissbier is a great summer beer, light, crisp taste. They also make a very good dunkelsweiss.

When I was in Germany I drank alot of Weihenstephan. I stayed in the town where it is brewed.

The hefeweissbier is a great summer beer, light, crisp taste. They also make a very good dunkelsweiss.

Awesome! Do you know if you can get it in the States?

i helped a minor buy a boatload of beer last night...

god i love public service!

what kind?

Awesome! Do you know if you can get it in the States?

I haven't seen it yet over here. But it seems that more and more beers from that part of Bavaria are finding their way into local stores. Franziskaner and Erdinger Weissbier are two of the better ones.

I haven't seen it yet over here. But it seems that more and more beers from that part of Bavaria are finding their way into local stores. Franziskaner and Erdinger Weissbier are two of the better ones.

On my list of places to go for certain...mmmmmmmmm, beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrr; hicup; ahhhhhhhhhh.

Sorry I'm late to this party. Any love for the Trappist?

trappist-beer-2.jpg

trappist_gift_pack_big.JPG

I came across Trappist beer when I was on a school trip from Scotland to Belgium. I was 15. It was legal to drink at that age there. We spent a few afternoons chilling in Bruges, Brussels and Waterloo sampling beer. A waste on a 15 year old palate, but I have refound my love for this beer and The Spirithaus in Amherst has an excellent Trappist selection.

From wikipedia:

"A Trappist beer is a beer brewed by or under control of Trappist monks. Of the world's 171 Trappist monasteries (as of April 2005), seven produce beer (six in Belgium and one in The Netherlands). Only these seven breweries are authorized to label their beers with the Authentic Trappist Product logo that indicates a compliance to various rules edicted by the International Trappist Association.........For the beers, these criteria are the following:

The beer must be brewed within the walls of a Trappist abbey, by or under control of Trappist monks.

The brewery, the choices of brewing, and the commercial orientations must obviously depend on the monastic community.

The economic purpose of the brewery must be directed toward assistance and not toward financial profit."

If you've never tasted a Trappist beer, you've never had beer.

Sorry I'm late to this party. Any love for the Trappist?

trappist-beer-2.jpg

trappist_gift_pack_big.JPG

I came across Trappist beer when I was on a school trip from Scotland to Belgium. I was 15. It was legal to drink at that age there. We spent a few afternoons chilling in Bruges, Brussels and Waterloo sampling beer. A waste on a 15 year old palate, but I have refound my love for this beer and The Spirithaus in Amherst has an excellent Trappist selection.

From wikipedia:

"A Trappist beer is a beer brewed by or under control of Trappist monks. Of the world's 171 Trappist monasteries (as of April 2005), seven produce beer (six in Belgium and one in The Netherlands). Only these seven breweries are authorized to label their beers with the Authentic Trappist Product logo that indicates a compliance to various rules edicted by the International Trappist Association.........For the beers, these criteria are the following:

The beer must be brewed within the walls of a Trappist abbey, by or under control of Trappist monks.

The brewery, the choices of brewing, and the commercial orientations must obviously depend on the monastic community.

The economic purpose of the brewery must be directed toward assistance and not toward financial profit."

If you've never tasted a Trappist beer, you've never had beer.

Thanks for the recommendation. I cooked with a guy from Belgium who told us that each small neighborhood where he lived had its own brewery. Beer from one neighborhood to another would be a completely different experience. "Exploring" these nuances sounds like a fun summer project.

i was watching that new show on the Travel channel lastnight Dhani travels the globe.. and he went to the Guinness factory in Ireland. and i know i have said in the past i think Guinness taste like crap.. but after seeing it being poured the right way and seeing what take place in the glass when pouring and what not.. im willing to give it another shot.. but i want to try it in a pint glass not from the bottle like last time because that killed my expierence

i was watching that new show on the Travel channel lastnight Dhani travels the globe.. and he went to the Guinness factory in Ireland. and i know i have said in the past i think Guinness taste like crap.. but after seeing it being poured the right way and seeing what take place in the glass when pouring and what not.. im willing to give it another shot.. but i want to try it in a pint glass not from the bottle like last time because that killed my expierence

When I bartended, I ALWAYS poured the Guinness in 3 stages. This would piss off the waitresses on a busy night, but my customers at the bar appreciated it. I also NEVER put a shamrock on it. I always felt that cheesy and a little like graffiti.

If you're not keen on Guinness, try Beamish or Murphy's. I actually prefer those 2 over Guinness myself.

Archived