Football Scientist: Nick Mangold is a BEAST!

JMJ

Some people love Seth Joyner and his approach to in-depth football stats (me) and some don't. Either way, our OLine was ridiculously good last year and Nick Mangold was a freaking stud!

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2...ise/#more-3907

The Football Scientist, KC Joyner, is a Fifth Down contributor. His latest book, Scientific Football 2009, is now available for pre-order.

One of the central studies I will be doing for every team in Scientific Football 2009 is a thorough look at run blocking metrics. I track a variety of metrics on every rushing play, but from an individual player analysis standpoint, two metrics are key: Point of Attack (POA) block win percentage and Yards Per Attempt (YPA).

The full method for putting these metrics together is a bit too long for this format (it is fully explained in Scientific Football 2006 and will be covered in detail again in SF 2009), but in a nutshell what I am looking for is which offensive players were blocking which defensive players at the point of attack of the run.

These studies always yield interesting data, some of which is expected and some not. For example, I just completed Jets blocking metrics, and while we all knew that Nick Mangold had a great 2008 campaign (he was a Pro Bowl alternate), would you believe he had the best numbers of any of the Jets linemen? Check it out:

POA win percentage:

1. Mangold 94.3%

2. Woody 89.5%

3. Faneca 87.8%

4. Ferguson 86.7%

5. Moore 85.4%

YPA

1. Woody 6.4

2. Mangold 6.1

3. Moore 5.8

4. Faneca 5.4

5. Ferguson 4.9

That Mangold graded out so well is a double shock in that centers are usually the weak link of an offensive line and yet he is the strength of this group.

Another way to illustrate just how good the Jets

Good stuff, JMJ.

Only 1 thing wrong with the article. Mangold wasn't a Pro Bowl alternate. He was voted to the Pro Bowl as a backup. Alternates are chosen to replace a Pro Bowl starter or backup who backs out of the probowl.

Here is why Thomas Jones had a "career year." Get your *ss back to mini camp you JAG!

Run Blocking Metrics

POA win percentage:

1. Mangold 94.3%

2. Woody 89.5%

3. Faneca 87.8%

4. Ferguson 86.7%

5. Moore 85.4%

YPA

1. Woody 6.4

2. Mangold 6.1

3. Moore 5.8

4. Faneca 5.4

5. Ferguson 4.9

Just shows that what everyone is saying about Brick is right not that good of a run blocker, great pass blocker. Not what you would want out of a top 5 draft pick but hardly a bust considering he's still starting and contributing. Which is more than we can say about most of the other top 10 picks.

Archived