Stadium News: Jets DO Have A Plan "B" - New Jersey

isired

nj_bw.gif

Jets have Plan B: New Jersey

Saturday, March 05, 2005

BY MATTHEW FUTTERMAN

Star-Ledger Staff

The Jets would favor the Meadowlands over a site in Queens if the team's dream of a stadium on Manhattan's West Side falls through, team president Jay Cross said yesterday.

Cross's comment during a conference at New York Law School comes as opposition to the West Side project continues to grow. The comment was confirmed by two members of the Jets public relations staff who insisted Cross remains committed to the West Side plan for the New York Sports and Convention Center and that it would bring tens of millions of dollars to New York State and New York City each year.

However, Cross has had several discussions with New Jersey officials about building a new stadium with the Giants in the Meadowlands so the team can keep its options open.

The West Side stadium would also serve as the Olympic Stadium if New York's bid for the 2012 Summer Games is successful. State officials in New York have said they would be more inclined to provide the $600 million in public funding the Jets have requested for the controversial project if New York gets the Olympics.

Some critics say the Jets could build a cheaper stadium in Queens that would be closer to the team's fan base. But another team official dismissed that idea.

Jets spokeswoman Marissa Shorenstein said the team could build a stadium with the Giants on state-owned land in the Meadowlands for "about half the cost of building in Queens, which is a site that has to go through condemnation and years of planning."

Negotiations between New Jersey officials and the Giants on a deal for a new stadium continued yesterday, with the two sides trying to solve the last remaining disagreement -- who would reap the financial benefit if the Jets stay.

Officials involved with the negotiations said the state yesterday asked the Giants to pay the state an additional $3 million annually if the Jets stay.

That payment would be in addition to the current $6.3 million the team will pay annually to rent 75 acres at the sports complex. The extra $3 million, however, would not be required if the Giants' profits fail to reach certain levels.

Acting Gov. Richard Codey said the two sides are "close" to a deal but needed more time. "Hopefully we can get something next week," he said.

Giants chief executive John Mara said the two sides made progress but need to finalize a deal quickly.

"We talked for a while about a number of issues," Mara said. "We've got a conference call scheduled for early next week. We need to get something done soon because we are running out of time for the 2008 season."

In a related issue, developers of the proposed Xanadu project in the Meadowlands are so confident they will receive their final permit within 10 days they are planning a gala ceremony to hand over to environmentalists the deed for hundreds of acres of wetlands March 15.

Mills Corp. of Virginia and Cranford-based Mack-Cali Realty have been waiting for months to receive permission from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to fill eight acres of wetlands when they build a massive retail and entertainment center in the Meadowlands.

The developers have also been seeking approval from the Giants before construction begins, though Mills/Mack-Cali intends to begin construction as soon as it gets the Army Corps permit.

"We are extremely optimistic we will have the permit by the 15th," said Bob Sommer, a spokesman for Mills/Mack-Cali.

Top construction officials for the developers have been living at the Sheraton Meadowlands across Route 3 from the sports complex for several weeks in anticipation of the Army Corps permit.

The developers plan to move another 13 officials into the hotel the day after they receive the permit and begin construction on the $1.3 billion project immediately.

The Giants insist their lease gives them the power to stop Mills. The team fears Xanadu will cause a traffic nightmare on football Sundays and is wary of spending $700 million on a stadium without knowing the full impact of the retail and entertainment center.

Copyright 2005 NJ.com. All Rights Reserved.

I will say it again I will go wherever the Jets play in a new stadium -lets just do it someplace. Also I do not want to be tenants with the Giants and get the shaft on the deal -we have to learn from our current mistake.

If they stay in Jersey, they better damn well change the name....they are NOT the New York Jets, they are the New Jersey Jets, and the official name should finally recognize that fact.

There is already too much B.S. about team location names...witness the L.A. Aneheim California Angels of South Eastern Compton.

Quit the marketing speak...if we play in Giants Stadium in New Jersey, then lets be honest about our teams name.

The New Jersey Tenents. Nice big Rent Payment Check on our Helmets. We'll be a big hit.....

I will say it again I will go wherever the Jets play in a new stadium -lets just do it someplace. Also I do not want to be tenants with the Giants and get the shaft on the deal -we have to learn from our current mistake.

I'd much rather see the Jets get their own stadium. There has to be a way to fund it. I'm not real educated on the matter but have they thought about sin taxes or PSL's as possible funding?

Just wondering, how much of a factor is NYC getting the Olympics in whether the Manhattan stadium gets built?

I ask because over here the general opinion is that it is almost certainly going to Paris.

Just wondering, how much of a factor is NYC getting the Olympics in whether the Manhattan stadium gets built?

I ask because over here the general opinion is that it is almost certainly going to Paris.

Rob D

I do not know if I can answer your question but everything I have been reading in the papers here about the cities for 2012 Olympics New York is like third or fourth on the list out of the 4 cities left. I guess we will have to wait to July when they make their final decision.

The plan B is to make sure there is not $.01 for NY.

BZ

wouldn't NY actually make more from the jets if they build in NJ? i mean, seeing as they're paying nothing to NY for the WSS, if they build in NJ, they'll get no tax break from NYS or NYC, so they'll have to pay income and employee taxes at least unless they move their HQ and facilities to NJ as well...

Exactly. The Olympics are not coming to NY and never were. It's a red herring.

Archived