Mike Tannenbaum On The Hot Seat?

SoFlaJets

I suggest you actually read the ESPN article you posted.

The only reason Spags got the second interview is because Woody was out of the country when he had his first interview with Tanny and he wanted a face to face.

Later in the article it also points out that Ryan was already the front runner for the job.

You continue to suck at the internet.

Ok, if he is completely unimpressive as you stated previously, why bring him back for a second interview? Woody does not trust Tanny? Just sayin'.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok, if he is completely unimpressive as you stated previously, why bring him back for a second interview? Woody does not trust Tanny? Just sayin'.

Maybe to throw off teams who are also interviewing the guy the Jets really want?

There could be a dozen reasons, none of which have anything to do with Johnson not trusting Tanny.

The article stated that the Jets were wisely not commenting on any interviews during the process. The stories that Spags was umimpressive started with his interview with the Broncos and more came out of the Jets camp after the Jets had hired Ryan.

The Jets knew that Spags would be on multiple team's lists as would Ryan. Most teams interested in one would naturally be interested in the other as they were both defensive coaches. If you think one of those teams thinks highly of both but is afraid of waiting for Ryan to become available as he could not be hired until the Ravens were out of the playoffs and they made it all the way to the conference championship game, you make it look like you are also interested in Spags to get them to flinch and make him an offer, confident in knowing that you just knocked out another potential suitor for the guy you really want in Ryan.

It's no different than bringing in a player you have no interest in prior to the draft for a workout. You do your due diligence and you try to do a little misdirection to make sure you get your man.

Florio seems hel bent on proving that Tanny is on the hot seat. as i see it last year, the Jets had money, and like good teams do, they spent it wisely, everybody they picked up became a starter, most teams didn't even get 1 starter from the guys they signed.

Gholston, that's an unfortunate rookie season, but find me one GM who has a spotless record.

Favre move had to be made, the team was divided between Chad and Kellen, and most of the fans were diving head first off the Chad bandwagon. Most of em also wanted Favre (I remember the reaction of the fans when they acquired him)

Tannenbaum has made the Jets far more exciting than they had been in years.

Always think this way, would you rather have the guys that were in charge of this team before Tanny (Bradway and the Groh years) I think not

They still went after Cowher and Spags. They both said not only no, but hell no.

Ya, but Cowher wasnt coaching anyplace this season. He had his pick of jobs and turned them all down.

Spags is a 4 -3 coach and the Jets are built to be a 3 - 4 team.

how many jets made the pro-bowl last year ?

what is the GM's job ?

7, good sir, 7. And that's a BIG reason why Tannenbaum is most definitely NOT on the hot seat.

Look, the two biggest failures for Tannenbaum have seemed to be drafting Gholston # 6 overall last year and bringing in Brett Favre.

News flash: No rookie deserves to get the bust label after one season. If Rex Ryan can't get anything out of him over the next 2 years, then it would be very fair to slap that label on him. For now, he is a "project".

As for Favre, I don't remember a single person who wasn't raving about bringing him in last year, myself included. We continued to love the move when the Jets started 8-3.

Sure, he's a bum now, but in hindsight, how was Tannenbaum to know he'd suffer an injury and limp to the finish? The guy has the longest consecutive games streak and has always been known to be in impeccable shape. I can't possibly blame Tannenbaum for that disaster. Mangini deserves blame, if anyone other than Favre deserves it, and he's gone now, courtesy of Tannenbaum.

Florio has got to be kidding.

LOL! Tannenbaum is the best GM ever to run a second-tier team. Some of the homerism just kills me here, for real.

Tanny's great talent is spending Woody's money. That's it. You guys want to give him all the credit for "bringing in" guys like Pace and Scott, but it's really not all that hard when you just over-bid on every FA that comes along. And, we've all seen historically that building a team through FA NEVER WORKS. EVER.

That said, Tanny's life depends on how well Sanchez works out. If he is the goods, then Tanny's a hero. But if he's Alex Smith, Tanny will go back to bean-counting on some Parcells team.

And the Jets will again be left holding the bag after yet another failed front office regime.

LOL! Tannenbaum is the best GM ever to run a second-tier team. Some of the homerism just kills me here, for real.

Tanny's great talent is spending Woody's money. That's it. You guys want to give him all the credit for "bringing in" guys like Pace and Scott, but it's really not all that hard when you just over-bid on every FA that comes along. And, we've all seen historically that building a team through FA NEVER WORKS. EVER.

That said, Tanny's life depends on how well Sanchez works out. If he is the goods, then Tanny's a hero. But if he's Alex Smith, Tanny will go back to bean-counting on some Parcells team.

And the Jets will again be left holding the bag after yet another failed front office regime.

you want to throw the homerism flag ?

fine

you are a typical negative jets fan

And what about Jenkins? He completely changed the Jets defense from being a bottom 10 defense to top 10. (at least in rushing D) I would have preferred they drafted a NT to help Jenkins and take his rains but we haven't had a solid NT/DT in quite a while.

Tannenbaum should not be on the hot seat for a team that's generally getting better and better. (not based soley on record) Draft and FA wise, Tanny has been getting better and better I believe.

No one is saying that Tannenbaum is a GREAT GM, but to put him on the hot seat is ridiculous.

And I think you underplay his ability to build through the draft. True, we may have traded up a bit too much, but you can't deny that guys like Darrelle Revis, Dustin Keller and David Harris were great picks. Chansi Stuckey in round 6, now a solid slot receiver, was a steal. And if Mark Sanchez works out, it was another great steal given that we got him for very little.

Tannenbaum hasn't exclusively built through FA's/trades. And even if that were true, at least he's getting GOOD free agents. Kris Jenkins, Alan Faneca, Thomas Jones, Damien Woody, Tony Richardson were solid pickups last year, and all signs point towards Scott, Leonhard and Sheppard being good ones as well.

If I had to give Tannenbaum a grade, I would say he deserves a solid B for the job he's done here.

Guilty as charged. Still, people calling Tannenbaum a great GM? Come on now.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I was just saying he isn't on the hotseat right now.

I don't think he is a great GM, he trades up in the draft too much for me. I'm a trade down kinda guy. But with that said, he is doing a good job. All GM's have a swing and a miss in the draft and free agency every year, that's the nature of the business.

My point has more to do with woody's style than tanny's performance. He has gotten woody what he wanted (favre, sanchez) and fired his friend cuz woody was having a hissy fit. So woody really can't be that unhappy with him.

I can't see woody firing tanny before the big move to the new place either. Firing Tanny almost certainly means a new coach as well, so woody doesn't want that going into the new bldg

• 3 years later...

@Tom:

Tanny is one of the best GMs in the league. If you were a fan of any team other than one in the AFC East and the NFC East, you'd be thanking your lucky stars to have him. It's just cause we're over critical.

Yeah, I said that. What's your point? Right after I said that, his team made a deep playoff run 2 years in a row. The job of a GM is to put your team in the position to win it all and that is exactly what he did.

Let's ignore my comment for the 2+ years I was right, and then go back to it 4 years later when things don't turn out as well as we'd like. LOL.

@Tom:

Yeah, I said that. What's your point? Right after I said that, his team made a deep playoff run 2 years in a row. The job of a GM is to put your team in the position to win it all and that is exactly what he did.

Let's ignore my comment for the 2+ years I was right, and then go back to it 4 years later when things don't turn out as well as we'd like. LOL.

I knew that would fire you up. I've missed you.

Archived