Time for Relegation in MLB

PFSIKH

Is it time for MLB to embrace the idea of relegation?

Short of a 28 game wining streak, the Pirates are one loss away from a record 17th consecutive losing season.

With an economic system that has created a huge imbalance between the haves (Yankees, Sox, Dodgers, Mets, Cubs, Angels) and the have nots (Pirates, Royals, Brewers), shouldn't baseball adopt relegation?

If MLB kept the current economc framework in place, wouldn't the Royals and Pirates put more effort into staying up in MLB by spending more rather then run the risk of losing that luxury tax check?

The answer is yes. The luxury tax system is reportedly working and making things more balanced. How so? The Red Sox have numerous problems from players not hitting or pitchers being down right awful, yet they are 21 games over .500. The Angels had significant pitching injuries early, lost a player in a tragic accident, but are 26 games over .500. Dodgers lose Manny for a third of the season, 25 games over. Even the Yanks had a few issues, but they are 28 games over .500.

Short of totally throwing out the old system and adopting a new NFL-like economic system, the rich will continue to be rich and win more often then not (excluding the Mets). Seeing an NFL-like TV package is nowhere in the making, and I doubt YES, NESN, WGN and whomever else are going to go quietly and give up their TV packages, it is what it is. Deal with it.

While the thought of losing a team with 128 year history might be blasphemy to the baseball purists, the game has lost it's purity along time ago. It is time to move on and adopt a structure that puts the onus on the team and not MLB to solve and unsolveable problem.

MLB is not the NFL and never will be. The DH and wildcard was thought to be abominations and eventually were accepted. So to could relegation.

instead of relegation, they should rework the divisions so the teams with the best record are in the same division the following year.

or maybe establish a worldwide draft with a cap on rookie signing money so the poor sh!tty teams can actually draft and sign the best players.

And have a salary floor and ceiling.

The draft is the thing that puts baseball's economic problems over the top for me. There's no reason teams with money should be getting players that could go in the Top 10-15. There needs to be a rookie signing scale.

The draft is the thing that puts baseball's economic problems over the top for me. There's no reason teams with money should be getting players that could go in the Top 10-15. There needs to be a rookie signing scale.

That would be a start.

As JH said, something needs to be done about how international players enter MLB. I doubt the Japanese league is going to like Dice-K being drafted by the Pirates. His old team misses out on a 52 million dollar payday. Maybe a system where the Pirates retain his right and work a trade with a big market team or something along that lines.

Hmm...while I like the idea of bottom feeders being more competitive, I don't like the idea of the Cubs losing their second AAA team, the Pittsburgh Pirates.

I thought we were their 1st AAA team. ****, we're doing worse than I thought.

Archived