Today's (9/8) practice....

Steveg

News and notes from NY Jets practice

by Dave Hutchinson/The Star-Ledger Tuesday September 08, 2009, 12:05 PM

Just got back from watching a riveting 40 minutes of practice and wanted to give you a few tibits:

-- QB Kellen Clemens threw only a few passes with the scout team before giving way to Erik Ainge. Clemens then ran on the side. It's unclear if his elbow is still bothering him. I'll ask coach Rex Ryan later at his press conference.

-- It was strange not seeing No. 92 (Shaun Ellis) at practice. He's serving a one-game suspension for violating the league's substance abuse policy and I knew he wouldn't be there. But throughout his 10-year career, I can count on one hand how many practices he has missed.

-- LB Calvin Pace was also not present. He's serving a four-game suspension for violating the league performance-enhancing policy. He was replaced by Vernon Gholston.

-- WR Chansi Stuckey has won the No. 2 receiver job.

-- DE Mike DeVito (hamstring) didn't practice during the portion of practice open to the media. DeVito has supposed to replace Ellis as the starter at left end for Week 1 against the Houston Texans, but now third-stringer Sione Pouha has been elevated to first string. Pouha, in his fifth season out of Utah, has played in every game over the past two seasons for the Jets, but has just one career start -- Dec. 9, 2007, against the Cleveland Browns -- with modest results (two tackles). DeVito's health, therefore, is worth monitoring this week.

-- Switching into regular-season mode, DJ Mully (Director of Events and Game Operations Brian Mulligan) was back blasting crowd noise and hip-hop tunes over the loud speakers to simulate the environment the Jets will face Sunday at Reliant Stadium, in Houston. It reminded everyone of the days of Eric Mangini, who frequently used the tactic. Mully had been silent during training camp, but it's all hands on deck now.

Just from observation, I would guess that Clowney will alternate as #3 with Smith, depending on the circumstances,

Yeah, I just feel Stuck is a better fit for the slot. And when you have a guy like Clowney who can spread the field...you gotta think that would open up the underneath nice and easy routes for Sanchez to read with Stuck, Keller and Leon.

Yeah, hope DeVito gets better. I think they're being cautious, but you never know.

At this point they could just be saving him for game day. Perhaps they'll rotate him in rather then have him play the majority of the downs. Still, I think this even weakens us even further when it comes to generating a pass rush and will certainly hurt is in stopping the Texans run game.

rapoti pituitoa was one of the best Jets in preseason, if Devito isn't ready, I'd activate the big man #79 and see what happens.

Yep, he definately should be active on gameday because you don't know if DeVito could go the whole way.

Yeah, hope DeVito gets better. I think they're being cautious, but you never know.

Most likely. I tried finding the article, but i can't find it, however i remember him saying that if today was gameday he would be 100% suited up. Also, given his demeanor and personality, I think he'd have to have an arm falling off not to make his first start. I just love this guy.

I really wanted to see Clowney at number 2, hopefully they use his speed in the slot to create mismatches with LB's and CBs lower in the depth chart.

No, Stuckey would be in the slot.

Clowney will be on the field in 3 receiver sets. Cotch & Stuckey with only 2.

It's similar to 1998. MeShawn & Chrebet were the starters. But when Dedrick Ward (the burner) was on the field, Chrebet went to the slot. The same will happen with Stuckey & Clowney.

No, Stuckey would be in the slot.

Clowney will be on the field in 3 receiver sets. Cotch & Stuckey with only 2.

It's similar to 1998. MeShawn & Chrebet were the starters. But when Dedrick Ward (the burner) was on the field, Chrebet went to the slot. The same will happen with Stuckey & Clowney.

True that, damn I don't like that I feel like Clowney has more to offer then Stuck...Hopefully he proves me wrong. Lol when I first read your response I was like who the **** is Meshawn... Then it clicked and made me laugh.

I really wanted to see Clowney at number 2, hopefully they use his speed in the slot to create mismatches with LB's and CBs lower in the depth chart.

Clowney needs to demonstrate that he can be effective against NFL starters before anyone's going to make him an NFL starter. All his preseason heroics came against guys who're now hoping to catch on in the UFL. If he can translate his game to primetime, you'll see him on the field in some 2-WR sets this year.

And the Jets' 1-2 will be Cotch and Keller this year anyway, and not necessarily in that order.

Archived