Seymour still hasn't reported to the Raiders

Klecko73isGod

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LOL!

Um....no.....seriously, you're kind of a doody head when it comes to football. You do know your rap crap though.

I'm a football historian Garby Doll. I may not have been following it as long as baseball but I know my footbawl.

I have a huge collection of "NFL Films" merch...one day I hope for it to be the world's largest (to go along with something else of mine...oh snap)

Question for Blackout and all others who claim the a player showing up and passing a physical is necessary for ALL NFL trades be completed:

What would have happened if Coleman, Ratliff or Elam refused to report to Browns training camp or failed the physical?

I think it is a safe assumption that no physical was given in the 15 mins between the trade being worked and the drafting of Sanchez.

So what would have happened? Would Sanchez now be the QB of the Browns?

I think it safe to assume it would have been the Browns problem, not the Jets problem and the trading of those three players was you take them as they are and the trade is not conditioned on them passing a physical or showing up. In fact the trade could not have occured if them showing up and passing a physical was part of the deal.

OTOH, I am pretty sure when the Jets traded for Brett Favre they did condition the trade on Brett passing a physical.

I would dare suggest that almost every draft day trade is done without a requirement that a physical be conducted including the trade of Randy Moss from Oakland to New England.

And many trades done for draft picks in the weeks leading up the draft when the player would be under no obligation to report to the new team prior to the old team using the draft pick. Such as Vrabel to KC who first reported to KC well after the pick was used to draft a different player.

So it is pretty clear that a physical is not always necessary to complete an NFL trade. Even if Blackout want to quote my very accurate statement and look away.

This leads to the next question. Was it a requirement of this specific trade that Seymour pass a physical? That is a little less clear, but the evidence strongly suggests no.

The league in the past has not formally reported trades that are conditioned on a player passing a physical until such physical is completed. The league has formally reported this trade. So unless the league has adopted a new protocal it is safe to assume that Seymour is a Raider and the Raiders problem if he chooses not to report.

What would have happened if Coleman, Ratliff or Elam refused to report to Browns training camp or failed the physical?

I think it is a safe assumption that no physical was given in the 15 mins between the trade being worked and the drafting of Sanchez.

So what would have happened? Would Sanchez now be the QB of the Browns?

My assumption would be that the NFL, in this case, would intervene and come up with an appropriate replacement for the player, be it another player, or a pick.

Archived