*** PFSIKH's Red Sox gutting & purging...err offseason thread***

PFSIKH

:bag:

Where to start? :confused:

And what a craprastic selection of free agents to choose from. :rolleyes:

C-VMart Bye-Bye Now: Tek Need: Tek has got to go. He hit .209 for the season. he was in the .130s the last two months. They need the future or at least someone to spell VMart on occassion until the future arrives due to Vmart not catching over 100 games in three years.

1B - Youk: Wishful thinking: Prying Miguel Carbrerra from Detroit and switching Youk back to 3rd.

2B - Dusty: Status Quo

SS - Wanted a SS that can hit above .250 and have less then 20 errors. Resign Alex Gonzalez and hope Lowrie can make it through the season....healthy. :rl:

3B - Lowell: Status quo and pray for a healthy hip. No free agents worth a dam.

DH - Ortiz: Stay status quo for another year. His 260 in the second half, which is not great, but passable.

LF - Holliday. Bay has been solid since arriving in Boston. By solid I mean a prodcutive player minus June and July of this year. Holiday hits for average and has decent power an upgrade for a team needing hitters.

CF - Jacoby. Unlike alot of the RSN that rails on Jacoby for not being the OPS machine. He just turned 26. Just about all his meaningful stats went up from his first full season to his second (i.e. BA, OBP, Slugging, OPS, less Ks more BBS).

RF - Drew - Same thought process as with Lowell. Hope JD stays healthy. :rl:

Starting Pitching: Becket, Lester, Bucholz and Dice-K Bye Bye now: Wake. Pick up a 5th starter to compliment the top 4 that is not a project like Smoltz or Penny. Or Bartolo. Or Byrd. Someone that is not going to break the bank and has pitched in the AL...like Millwood.

Relief Pitching: Keep Paps as the closer. Even after an uneven 2009 and flameout in the playoffs, only Mariano is better. He is a keeper, at least for now and groom Bard to replace him after 2011 season.

Bottomline: With hindsight, losing out on Teix was huge. Seeing there is no one of his caliber in free agency, the Sox need to take baby steps. Short of a massive trade that guts the farm, the best pick-up is Holiday, but likely we will get the LF the Yankees do not want.

JBro.. that's disgusting. Truly. Stop it.

Tek has a player option for 3 million. He'll probably exercise it.

Lowell and Ortiz are on the books for one more season and they aren't moveable. If it were up to me we'd only have one of these guys back next season.

A-Gon has a 6 million dollar option, which should be exercised no matter how healthy Jed Lowrie is.

The rotation comes back with Lester, Beckett, Dice-K, Buchholz and probably Wakes depending on how his back surgery goes. Bowden is waiting in the wings along with tazawa. Both need more seasoning so they should bring in an insurance policy. There is no WBC so there are no excuses for a bad Dice-K come spring training.

The bullpen will be largely the same, which is fine by me.

The key is who is going to play left field and if the Sox can swing a deal for a middle of the order bat like Gonzalez from San Diego, Fielder from Milwaukee. maybe even Hanley if the Fish move him and he's not a complete douche. Or they'll try to pry King Felix from Seattle as they did before. They have pieces to move and Theo has payroll flexibility. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

I wouldn't mind seeing Bay back but the line-up needs a force in the middle. Might not come this offseason though.

Cabrera will be an intriguing offseason target figuring he's worn out his welcome in Detroit. Not clear though he will ever grow up enough to justify the salary he expects to be paid. The talent is undeniable, but he's got a lot of Carlos Baerga in him and he doesn't like to stay in shape. That would be high risk, high reward. And while the Tiggers may want him gone they willw ant some young arms for him, which the Sawx do have.

If the Padres deal Jake Peavy and Adrian Gonzalez in successive seasons the franchise should be yanked or relegated.

Just let Tek walk. He's going to exercise that $3 million option, because he'll be lucky to get a contract anywhere else, but the Sox should just eat the money and be done with it. He's not even a viable backup anymore; he can't really provide anything in any facet of the game anymore.

Sharrow - you know the Yankees are going to spend some coin this offseason on a left fielder. Though Bay might head to the left coast with a team like Seattle or San Fran to be closer to home. I'd like to see him back in Boston, but not at the price he's probably looking for.

I would have thought the Yankees would try to re-sign Damon for a 1 year deal, at high salary. Maybe a 1 year with an option. But that was until mid August or so. Since then, he has shown how much he has worn down. And with Posada signed for a couple more seasons, there is no room at DH for Damon, with Posada likely to get 1/3 - 1/2 the ABs there, and A-Rod getting some, along with Jeter.

Bay or Holliday would be nice, but those are very expensive options, and added power is not really something the Yankees need much of. I also think there is some rumblings of lowering the payroll, even if just a bit.

Hence, my opinion is that they make a play for Chone Figgins. He might be a perfect compliment to Jeter, pushing Jeter back to the #2 hole. Sign him to a 4 year deal or so, where he is the everyday LFer for 2010, and a super utility guy for 3 years after that, getting ~ 400 ABs, playing all over the place.

It could happen. And he will cost a lot less than Bay or Holliday.

Just let Tek walk. He's going to exercise that $3 million option, because he'll be lucky to get a contract anywhere else, but the Sox should just eat the money and be done with it. He's not even a viable backup anymore; he can't really provide anything in any facet of the game anymore.

I would be surprised if they did not. They are rumors that Gonzalez' 6 million option is too much and at the very least he contributes on offense and defense. Tek? Not so much.

I would have thought the Yankees would try to re-sign Damon for a 1 year deal, at high salary. Maybe a 1 year with an option. But that was until mid August or so. Since then, he has shown how much he has worn down. And with Posada signed for a couple more seasons, there is no room at DH for Damon, with Posada likely to get 1/3 - 1/2 the ABs there, and A-Rod getting some, along with Jeter.

Bay or Holliday would be nice, but those are very expensive options, and added power is not really something the Yankees need much of. I also think there is some rumblings of lowering the payroll, even if just a bit.

Hence, my opinion is that they make a play for Chone Figgins. He might be a perfect compliment to Jeter, pushing Jeter back to the #2 hole. Sign him to a 4 year deal or so, where he is the everyday LFer for 2010, and a super utility guy for 3 years after that, getting ~ 400 ABs, playing all over the place.

It could happen. And he will cost a lot less than Bay or Holliday.

I understand the front office (for both clubs) arguing the expense of a contract for Bay or Holliday from a negotiation aspect, but let's be realistic.

If the Yankees sign one of them, he is essentially filling Damon's 13 million slot. A couple more million a year is not that big of an issue.

For the Sox, they were at $122 million. That is around 20 million below what they usually are. I am guessing that void was for Teix. :bag: Seeing Bay was on the books for 7.8 already, another 7.2 for either Bay or Holliday, preferrably the later is not that big of a pinch and leaves them money to spend on someone else. While you can argue whther they deserve it, the market will likely dictate it.

I will be pissed if the SOx say they cannot afford Bay or Holliday.

I would be surprised if they did not. They are rumors that Gonzalez' 6 million option is too much and at the very least he contributes on offense and defense. Tek? Not so much.

I understand the front office (for both clubs) arguing the expense of a contract for Bay or Holliday from a negotiation aspect, but let's be realistic.

If the Yankees sign one of them, he is essentially filling Damon's 13 million slot. A couple more million a year is not that big of an issue.

For the Sox, they were at $122 million. That is around 20 million below what they usually are. I am guessing that void was for Teix. :bag:Seeing Bay was on the books for 7.8 already, another 7.2 for either Bay or Holliday, preferrably the later is not that big of a pinch and leaves them money to spend on someone else. While you can argue whther they deserve it, the market will likely dictate it.

I will be pissed if the SOx say they cannot afford Bay or Holliday.

I guess that the Sox will spend the money on one of them. I would guess Bay, seeing as he was successful in Boston, while Holliday really struggled in his short stint in the ALl. Maybe they don' t want to "experiment" with Holliday.:confused:

I guess that the Sox will spend the money on one of them. I would guess Bay, seeing as he was successful in Boston, while Holliday really struggled in his short stint in the ALl. Maybe they don' t want to "experiment" with Holliday.:confused:

That's exactly my worry. Bay was fine in Beantown and Holliday couldn't get it done in OAKLAND. He'd get eaten alive in Boston.

That's exactly my worry. Bay was fine in Beantown and Holliday couldn't get it done in OAKLAND. He'd get eaten alive in Boston.

There is a bit of a difference in the situations.

First, Oakland is a pitchers park. While I doubt Holiday will return to his Colorado power numbers, I think he can get closer to his Colorado BA in Boston.

Second in Boston, Holiday does not have to be the top dog like he was in Oakland.

Last, his 'failure' in Oakland, was for a higher average then Bay did in his 1+ seasons in Boston.

Holiday can hit. He hit .322 during Inter League play (most of which was his time against the AL).

First, Oakland is a pitchers park. While I doubt Holiday will return to his Colorado power numbers, I think he can get closer to his Colorado BA in Boston.

Second in Boston, Holiday does not have to be the top dog like he was in Oakland.

Last, his 'failure' in Oakland, was for a higher average then Bay did in his 1+ seasons in Boston.

Holiday can hit. He hit .322 during Inter League play (most of which was his time against the AL).

All good points. I still don't think either can carry a team and they're both more complimentary players. Bay did it for stretches this season I suppose but he also disappeared for about two months. I'm going to go out on a limb and say you don't see either one in LF this season which would be another gaping hole in the line-up. If Bay wanted to stay in Boston he would have already resigned. I don't think Holliday will come either.

It appears more like the big thing with Holliday is that he just can't keep his head in the game if his team is not in contention. But he's locked in when motivated in the midst of a pennant race.

So then why would the Sox want him? ;)

Archived