Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Jbro22

I've just read the last couple pages of this thread and now Im depressed because at some point in my life Ive become too stupid for video games. I have no idea what the hell you guys are talking about.

Crusher- You're not missing out on much. Just shooting up terrorists. Also, there is a game where you get a gun where you get a "chainsaw bayonet" and you chainsaw through your enemies.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, for those of you that have played SOCOM, how does it compare to Call of Duty? SOCOM was the last game that I truly enjoyed online. I might actually consider getting this one.

I was a SOCOM addict, and this blows it away.

SOCOM was broken compared to this. All that waiting you did in SOCOM is gone. But the same addictiveness is there. Like can't sleep at night cause all you see is army guys running around jungles with semi automatic weapons.

I was a SOCOM addict, and this blows it away.

SOCOM was broken compared to this. All that waiting you did in SOCOM is gone. But the same addictiveness is there. Like can't sleep at night cause all you see is army guys running around jungles with semi automatic weapons.

Or hear the "tink-tink-tink" of a frag.

I can't ****ing wait for this game to come out.

I've been staring at that website all day. 3 days.....

I'm loving the shottie as a sidearm/attachment option. Can't tell you how many times I've wished I could just have a close range weapon while running through 1 room. I'm sad though, they got rid of my favorite weapon.

Some of the first reviews are in:

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Review

pdf_button.png printButton.png emailButton.png lg-share-en.gif Written by Tom Henson Wednesday, 04 November 2009 14:16

b.120.100.16777215.0...images.content.Call-of-Duty-Modern-Warfare-2.jpgThe original Call of Duty: Modern Warfare was a huge success and received rave reviews from everybody. Modern Warfare 2 has a lot to live up to!

The build up to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 has been ongoing for many months now helped along by controversial scenes that have been the talk of the internet (more on that later).

The original Modern Warfare ended with the demise of Imran Zakhaev. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 introduces his associate, Vladimir Makarov, the head of a Russian terrorist group. Makarov is hell bent on causing world wide chaos and is organising attacks to provoke global conflict.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is set fives years ahead of where the original game left of and is centred around a group setup to deal with Makarov called Task Force 141. You play a member of the Task Force 141 team and your aim is to bring an end to Makarov’s reign of terror.

The game has an engrossing storey line that flows perfectly. Very few games make you feel more part of the action then Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. There are times when you forget that you are sat in your living room, it is that good.

Whilst we’re on the storey line we best cover the controversial element of the game that has been much talked about on the net. The US Entertainment Software Rating Board released a report about the scene which involves gunning down civilians.

The report describes the airport terror mission as “the most intense depiction of violence” in the game. The level involves gunning down “several civilians” with the player “given a choice to participate in the killings (e.g. players can shoot a wounded civilian that is crawling on the ground), or walk by and observe without opening fire.”

The ESRB report goes on to reveals that whatever you select “civilians scream and emit pools of blood as they are shot to death.” This level of sheer violence is no doubt the reason for Infinity Ward’s decision to allow players to simply opt out of playing the level entirely.

Having played the level I think it will cross the line for what many think is acceptable even if it is only a game but ultimately it is down to the individual to decide as you do have the option.

The graphics in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 are based on the IW 4.0 engine which is the same as in the previous game. There have been some tweaks to improve a few things but these aren’t really noticeable.

The graphics are very similar to the original game but the original was pretty top notch so needless to say Modern Warfare 2 looks awesome!

To accompany good graphics you need good sound. Connect this bad boy up to a surround sound system and prepare to be blown away. The bullets whip past; the bombs make you duck in your seat. It all adds together to make you feel like you are out there with gun in hand.

As with the previous Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 gives you access to a variety of weaponry to play with. Every weapon has been carefully detailed and it is a joy to use them, as it should be for any first person shooter.

I’ve played many FPS games but Modern Warfare 2 has set the bench mark much higher. It is so easy and enjoyable to play that all other FPS games pale by comparison.

There are fast bits and stealthy bits, bits that get your heart racing and bits where you have to use your head.

Combine the ease of play with amazing weapons, great sound and graphics, and storey line that keeps you on the edge of your seat and you know you are onto a winner

If I had any bad point to say about Modern Warfare 2 it would be the time it takes to complete it. You can be easily finished with the game within a days playing, which, when you consider the cost seems a bit poor. I don’t think it is just Modern Warfare 2 that suffers from this though as nearly every other FPS I’ve played is the same.

On the bright side the game includes good multiplayer modes as well though that should allow for many hours of quality gaming.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is the new benchmark. The original was very good and quite simply this is better. If you buy any game this Christmas make it this one.

9.5/10

Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 video game review

Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 2 arrives creaking under the weight of its own hype. Can it live up to the ludicrous expectations heaped upon it?

By Nick Cowen

Published: 8:01AM GMT 09 Nov 2009

Comments 24 | Comment on this article

Formats: Xbox 360 (tested), PS3, PC

Developer: Infinity Ward

Publisher: Activision

Released: 11 November 2009

Score: 10/10

So here it is at last; the biggest game of 2009. The sequel to one of the most successful first person shooter (FPS) titles of all time. The most anticipated video game release of the year. The title which looks set to break international sales records in spite of the fact that its [url=http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/video-games/5916026/Call-of-Duty-Modern-Warfare-2-to-go-on-sale-for-55.html]publisher has decided to charge

I'm debating whether or not I should get this game at midnight.

I think the deciding factor is that I reserved it at a gamestop near work, and don't want to drive that far to get it. I think I can sit tight, till tomorrow.

I started working this job 2 weeks ago and don't know what the deal for Veterans day is. I'm assuming we work considering no ones said anything about it. I don't want to be that guy who asks if we have off on ridiculous Holidays like ground hog day. So I'll keep hush hush and wait till tomorrow. Hopes UP.

And I didn't mean to belittle Vets day by comparing it to Ground Hogs day. But you get my point....I'm gonna read these reviews now. Thanks viscious...

My 10th day of work I called in sick for the Yankees parade. I'm all out of options.

Tomorrow will without a doubt be the longest day of work. Ever.

I'll post pictures of the Prestige Edition. Although by the time I'm home it'll be like 4 EST so you'll only have an hour to go.

Actually read some reports that the game is on sale early at Gamespots in certain markets including NY's. Gamespot gave the ol' F-U to Activision because smaller chains started selling early.

So I'll one again get my hopes up, call the Gamespot I reserved my copy at on my drive home. And they'll laught at me just after throwing a remark like the comic book guy from the Simpsons.

I'll post pictures of the Prestige Edition. Although by the time I'm home it'll be like 4 EST so you'll only have an hour to go.

Please don't waste precious COD time on me. Go ahead and beat single player before night fall.

What will you play first multiplayer or singleplayer?

Please don't waste precious COD time on me. Go ahead and beat single player before night fall.

What will you play first multiplayer or singleplayer?

Gonna go single till one of my boys sign on, then we're gonna hit up the "spec ops" and once we got 3 or 4, gonna go MP. I didn't even finish the story last time around, once I went into MP I just never turned back.

I have heard that some stores in Staten Island are selling the game early.

Gonna go single till one of my boys sign on, then we're gonna hit up the "spec ops" and once we got 3 or 4, gonna go MP. I didn't even finish the story last time around, once I went into MP I just never turned back.

I have heard that some stores in Staten Island are selling the game early.

I'm in Nassau County and am 90% sure its not gonna work out for me.

Dude, go home put in CoD 4 and finish the singleplayer. Its unreal.

Better then any movie I've seen in the last 5 years. Isn't saying much. But still.

I'll probably do a level or two of singleplayer maybe some co-op if one of my buddies is on.

What's "Spec Ops"?

I'm in Nassau County and am 90% sure its not gonna work out for me.

Dude, go home put in CoD 4 and finish the singleplayer. Its unreal.

Better then any movie I've seen in the last 5 years. Isn't saying much. But still.

I'll probably do a level or two of singleplayer maybe some co-op if one of my buddies is on.

What's "Spec Ops"?

It's basically you're online co-op. It's supposed to be shorter more intense missions

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2: Spec Ops Hands-on

We pull the curtain back on Modern Warfare's co-op Bomb Squad mission.

by Mark Bozon

PID_1168350_DA_endFF_300x250_1027.jpgactivity;src=2229362;met=1;v=1;pid=41608901;aid=219464968;ko=0;cid=34057881;rid=34075759;rv=2;&timestamp=1690532;eid1=9;ecn1=1;etm1=0;forumsforumsB3927334.34;sz=300x250;ord=bdnifaw,bfprclcvxbkKa?

November 6, 2009 - Infinity Ward's latest Call of Duty offering is debuting an all-new gameplay experience with Special Ops mode. Based on co-op centric, arcade-inspired challenges, Spec Ops mode is broken up into five tiers of missions, each allowing for up to three stars based on difficulty. Players can jump into Spec Ops from the main menu at any time -- it's completely independent from multiplayer or the main campaign mode -- and begin earning stars to unlock the next tier of missions, starting with Alpha, and moving to Bravo, Charlie, Delta, and Echo. All in all there are 23 challenges to check out (a few of which are co-op only), for a starting total of 69 stars in all.

Most missions can be taken on solo (we don't recommend it), but every mission in the bunch supports two player via either split-screen or online on Xbox Live or PSN. PC players don't have split screen for obvious reasons, but can connect via online as expected. The possibility for expansion in the mode via additional downloadable content has been hinted at by developer Infinity Ward, but with nearly two dozen missions on day one, Spec Ops mode is going to dominate more of your time than you may expect. Then you can prepare for a second round of addiction to Spec Ops when a promised game update releases post-launch which will add online leaderboards.

We've had a chance to show off some very limited footage of Spec Ops in action, showcasing three levels during a gigantic hands-on article about a month back, but as a final hurrah before Modern Warfare 2's release in just a few short days, Activision has hooked us up with an exclusive look into one more mission.

Note: The footage below is comprised of combined multi-console play, not split screen.

call-of-duty-modern-warfare-2-20091106010101812.jpgClick above for new Special Ops two player footage.

Bomb Squad is set within the Favela locale, inspired by the shanty towns of Rio de Janeiro. Players will take a quick run through a similar marketplace within single player mode, but for Bombing Run Infinity Ward combined the bomb defusal concepts found in multiplayer game types like Sabatoge and Search & Destroy with a co-op, time-based challenge. Each level of difficulty -- regular, hardened, and veteran -- will yield varying challenges in enemy AI, and also an increasingly tight timeframe for you to work your magic.

The level begins with both players donning akimbo glock 18's, but there are plenty of weapons to pick up along the way as well including a small set of arms directly available from the outset. Laying on the ground when the mission begins are two sets of thumpers, AA12 shotguns with a heartbeat sensor, P90 w/Red Dot sights, and a set of M240 machine guns. You can swap out weapons right off the bat, or leave the stash for a mid-challenge return trip. I personally stuck with the akimbo G18's, but would swap out for the P90 when the time was right.

Bomb Squad includes three main bomb sites, each guarded by an opposing terrorist force. Most players will kick the mission off by making their way to point one, located on the Southeast side of the map, but from there have a few different options for the following two sites. The first bomb is located deep within a dead end market street filled with chicken cages, plenty of rooftop overwatches, and a steady stream of ground soldiers.

call-of-duty-modern-warfare-2-20091106041809237.jpgRemember Rio? You'll be back there again for a little Bomb Squad in Special Ops mode.

After clearing out the area and defusing the first bomb, players will need to make a quick sprint back up through the spawn and make a tactical decision for the final two points. The middle route will take the team down a main street filled with even more rooftop battles and very little cover. The far defuse area is more enclosed, located within a small storefront donning a makeshift basketball hoop, some high grass, any tiny main square. The team can either opt to break off and tackle one spot each, or continue on as a team.

In our time with the game we've found more success moving down the middle street as a team, capturing point two, and then moving to the last area all at once, or even using a side alley to flank the final bomb site. Since you can pick up downed teammates if you're within direct proximity of them, splitting up is a fairly dangerous tactic, though it'll reward you with a quicker overall time. Still, it's a whole lot safer moving through the crowded streets as a group, and while you're shoving your face into a laptop to defuse a bomb you'll feel far more comfortable knowing someone is watching your back. Running in blind and hoping for the best may work on regular difficulty, but if you're looking to collect two or three stars via hardened or veteran difficulties you'll need a partner, and you'll need to work together.

If you haven't already, be sure to check out our footage unveil for Bomb Squad, showcasing a side-by-side look into cross-system online co-op. It's intense to say the

Archived