Mafia Game Thread--The Thing

SMC

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Or not.

I guess this is what we have to worry about today.

Did they fire at the doc and fail? Do they have an option to assimilate or kill each night, and chose assimilation last night? Or do they just assimilate?

Gotta be one of those, right?

yep. Mafia could also technically no kill to throw us off but that is highly unlikely as an option. There seems to be little incentive to do that. Doc save is a pretty unlikely scenario but it is possible and more likely than no kill. I think we have to assume the worst case that assimilation occurred.

Or not.

I guess this is what we have to worry about today.

Did they fire at the doc and fail? Do they have an option to assimilate or kill each night, and chose assimilation last night? Or do they just assimilate?

Gotta be one of those, right?

In the past, I'm pretty sure assimilation / recruitment has been an option to use instead of the night kill, not in addition to. That is most likely the case here, otherwise you're talking about a two player swing in one night, which is a bit much. So as you said, the options for what happened last night are likely either a failed night kill attempt or an assimilation attempt (be it successful or failed). My guess is its probably the latter, considering the general belief that the game started with a smaller mafia, they are probably anxious to get their numbers up before they lose anyone.

I-28's play was weird at the end there. Hammering would've made sense as a self-preservation move. His refusal to do so because of how that might look on him the following day could either be a newer nervous player, or a rookie scum move. At some point, we're going to have to forget about his newness. He's obviously got a pretty good feel for the game. If I'd been around, I might've changed my vote to him around the same time CTM did.

If you want people who really distanced themselves from AVM's lynch, though, the only people who didn't post in the thread in the almost seven hours between me placing the L-1 vote and CTM placing the hammer vote were Sharrow and Crusher.

Based on the movie, I'm guesssing all they do is assimiliate. This makes for a very different game as there are no tracks left for NK's...

I think it's easy to start a train on i28 today, but I'd have to guess that if i28 was human, he wouldn't have been a choice for convert last night. So that's a point in his direction, although he's still my overwhelming favorite for an original thing..

On a quick reread Jif seems less suspicious to me, my experiance with him is that he calms his inner douche as scum, and he was very flamboyant with it yesterday. Since he was also busy as a mod, I'm going to buy chuckles story for now.

Sharrow is still a complete mystery to me

Vic seemed innocent towards the end of yesterday

that's it for now. I want to see how this develops, but if I was voting it would be for i28

I hate to be this guy, but since I seem to be one amongst at least a few who have never seen this movie, could someone just summarize the general plot points? Not even really looking for any interpretation for the game, just the basics so we can get a feel for what to expect. I wasn't worried about it at first since I figured it was just flavor, but there seems to be more to it than that. I actually am getting the movie from Netflix because of this game, but its not coming until next week and I've seen a few references to it so far in the thread (most recently by CTM) in terms of trying to shed light on the game setup, but I have no clue.

I hate to be this guy, but since I seem to be one amongst at least a few who have never seen this movie, could someone just summarize the general plot points? Not even really looking for any interpretation for the game, just the basics so we can get a feel for what to expect. I wasn't worried about it at first since I figured it was just flavor, but there seems to be more to it than that. I actually am getting the movie from Netflix because of this game, but its not coming until next week and I've seen a few references to it so far in the thread (most recently by CTM) in terms of trying to shed light on the game setup, but I have no clue.

here

And if we're going to ask ourselves who the thing would have converted you have to put names like CTM, Slats, BG, and DanX at the top of that list (assuming you believed they were innocent).

Or you..ya thug

You're ability to lead townie lynch after townie lynch and never get called on it would be very valuable i'd reckon

Or you..ya thug

You're ability to lead townie lynch after townie lynch and never get called on it would be very valuable i'd reckon

lol.. I just rolled out of bed (yeah I'm lazy) and admittedly was nervous about logging in and getting a PM that I had been. Luckily I wasn't.

My guess is they view me as a Natural Born Town Killer without having to recruit me.

And if we're going to ask ourselves who the thing would have converted you have to put names like CTM, Slats, BG, and DanX at the top of that list (assuming you believed they were innocent).

Actually, up until Sharrow jokingly added you as his #3, it was me, CTM, and you who weren't on anyone's top 3 list... but thanks for trying to divert any suspicion away from yourself. :P

FYI I will not be around much today. Based on the information ive read of the movie since I've never seen it, it's probably assimilation. The people who laid off the hammer are the people I think deserve a look at. I'm sure we will get some "I'm busy/it was Friday" type of explanations but we had at least 6 people viewing last night and had less then that involved.

I've given my reason for not hammering... please give it a read. I felt it was the best way to prove I am pro-town.

If Pac is truly town, he'd have delivered the hammer vote himself... instead he is egging me on to do it, so he has his whole day 2 lynch case set up for him.

Like I said, his call for me to hammer is anti-town.

What if AVM is town? I deliver the hammer and bam... you lose me too. The town is down 2 players (plus whatever happens in the 1st night before the 2nd day ends).

With only 3 votes on me, I felt I could afford to try to prove my point.

I'm not going to be bullied into making a bad decision for the town.

Voting off AVM, and in turn getting myself lynched would be just that.

Totally understand the FOS for me, and not surprised at all by Pac's immediate vote on me today. :rolleyes:

All I can say at this point is this. If I was scum, I would have hammered AVM... and just played it off as "I just wanted to get the game moving."

Because I am town, I wanted to try to position myself to live past day 2. I knew that if I voted for AVM I would have been crushed on day 2 with a litany of "you never had a case against AVM on day one, but you delivered the hammer vote because you wanted to stay alive... you must be scum."

Pac tried to bully me into hammering AVM. I have to think he knows if I had done so, it would have been an immediate lynch of me on day two. Only scum would push for that the way he did last night.

Look, I knew I wouldn't be NK'ed or assimilated, mostly because of all the day 1 heat on me. Scum probably figures the town will get rid of me today. Like BG has said, scum don't NK the townies getting heat.

So I gambled that my revived train on day one would not catch up to AVM's and that I could squeak through to day 2. Now that I have, I hope you guys will open your eyes to the scenario Pac tried to force last night. My hammer vote on AVM would have essentially killed 2 townies.

Also... Do you really think if I was scum that I would continually persist in drawing this much attention to myself?

In the past, I'm pretty sure assimilation / recruitment has been an option to use instead of the night kill, not in addition to. That is most likely the case here, otherwise you're talking about a two player swing in one night, which is a bit much. So as you said, the options for what happened last night are likely either a failed night kill attempt or an assimilation attempt (be it successful or failed). My guess is its probably the latter, considering the general belief that the game started with a smaller mafia, they are probably anxious to get their numbers up before they lose anyone.

a kill and a convert is greater then a 2 player swing, and I agree, its unlikely unless the town can convert back.. which always gets messy..

Actually, up until Sharrow jokingly added you as his #3, it was me, CTM, and you who weren't on anyone's top 3 list... but thanks for trying to divert any suspicion away from yourself. :P

Nice the way he did that huh?

The man's shameless

Dumbasses. We should have listened to I28's world class flawless case against Vic. We'd be down a Thing. FOS on Pac and Slats for convincing me to change my vote off Vic. I knew we should have listened to him.

So the question is did the thing assimilate or not. Lets explore the not first.

Not

1) the doc protected correctly

2) SMC has set up parameters around assimilating similar to how Doggin ****ed me in the JI/JN border game

3) potentially immune to one assimilation attempt players - similar to my role in EY's game when I came back from the dead. I wasnt killed during that first night scene back when CTM and company attempted me at night and I attempted to recruit CTM. If I didnt get lynched upon my Guardian Angel reveal and the attempted me again, they would have be successful.

Assimilate

1) 1 Thing to start - just got to 2. Hard to think SMC would run the risk with an End Game on day 1 by incredible luck on the townies part...unreal long shot...but I'd be nervous starting a game that took that chance.

2) 2 Things to start - just got to 3. This is most likely IMO to be the set up. 2 man team who can recruit but are going to be up against some odds (see above).

3) 3 Things to start - they are still 3. SMC has some serious either beefed up town or he has some serious parameters around assimilation.

Thats my take on the set up knowing what we know on day 2.

That said, I think we need to look at who is possibly working together. Whether we look at DanX for her relentless campaign of Slats innocence. Or was it a team creating distance, like Pac and JVOR. I'm just throwing out ideas...not that I'm putting merit in any of those examples...just giving examples of things not to look past if we are searching for a 2 people potentially working together on day 1.

lol.. I just rolled out of bed (yeah I'm lazy) and admittedly was nervous about logging in and getting a PM that I had been. Luckily I wasn't.

My guess is they view me as a Natural Born Town Killer without having to recruit me.

Hey, juggling so many lady friend's is an exhausting business. I'm surprised you were even able to find the energy to roll out of bed and into the chair to log onto the computer..

FYI I will not be around much today. Based on the information ive read of the movie since I've never seen it, it's probably assimilation. The people who laid off the hammer are the people I think deserve a look at. I'm sure we will get some "I'm busy/it was Friday" type of explanations but we had at least 6 people viewing last night and had less then that involved.

Agreed.

Which is part of why I chose not to cave into Pac's pressure.

I gave my reasons for not hammering... and would be happy to elaborate. BUT there are easily 5-6 people that were lurking that didn't say a peep, who could have delivered that hammer vote and didn't. Some may not like my reason, but it was in the best interests of the town.

The town is needlessly wasting time chasing me around, while half the game lurks...

Including Pac... he only tried to pressure me into hammering AVM. He didn't vote for AVM himself. He let the town lynch the townie... and focused his energy on setting up a pro-scum day 2 lynch.

Nice the way he did that huh?

The man's shameless

I "did that" because it's true... I'm still human - are you?

I actually have a lengthy list of people I'd consider voting for but with the way I28 played it last night he's still getting my vote. I'm expecting another long day though because now we have 3 (maybe 4) Xenas who will no doubt look to make it difficult to get a consensus.

Agreed.

I gave my reasons for not hammering... and would be happy to elaborate. BUT there are easily 5-6 people that were lurking that didn't say a peep, who could have delivered that hammer vote and didn't. Some may not like my reason, but it was in the best interests of the town.

The town is needlessly wasting time chasing me around, while half the game lurks...

Including Pac... he only tried to pressure me into hammering AVM. He didn't vote for AVM himself. He let the town lynch the townie... and focused his energy on setting up a pro-scum day 2 lynch.

So know you are agreeing with the guy in which you created the ultimate case against and refused to unvote when you had the chance to self preserve to start up a little something on Pac?

I just want to make sure I'm getting this right?

Agreed.

You keep saying Hammering would have made you an immediate lynch candidate... that's ridiculous. In fact had you strolled in and hammered citing self preservation I would have been LESS suspicious.

What do you guys think of danx. She built the case on avm and crusher. She's been very much a type of person who setup a train and let's us fight it out. The unvote of avm and the subsequent "aw shucks" re-vote seemed odd to me.

DanX has been on of my fav's because of her campaign for Slats and his mantra of "i'm so refreshed to be town" and because her voting has been the most suspect of all.

Hey, juggling so many lady friend's is an exhausting business. I'm surprised you were even able to find the energy to roll out of bed and into the chair to log onto the computer..

My endurance is a gift.

Dumbasses. We should have listened to I28's world class flawless case against Vic. We'd be down a Thing. FOS on Pac and Slats for convincing me to change my vote off Vic. I knew we should have listened to him.

Voting Vic for your sarcastic reasons seemed douchy at best, scummy at worst, but I don't remember twisting your arm one way or the other there.

So the question is did the thing assimilate or not. Lets explore the not first.

Not

1) the doc protected correctly

2) SMC has set up parameters around assimilating similar to how Doggin ****ed me in the JI/JN border game

3) potentially immune to one assimilation attempt players - similar to my role in EY's game when I came back from the dead. I wasnt killed during that first night scene back when CTM and company attempted me at night and I attempted to recruit CTM. If I didnt get lynched upon my Guardian Angel reveal and the attempted me again, they would have be successful.

Assimilate

1) 1 Thing to start - just got to 2. Hard to think SMC would run the risk with an End Game on day 1 by incredible luck on the townies part...unreal long shot...but I'd be nervous starting a game that took that chance.

2) 2 Things to start - just got to 3. This is most likely IMO to be the set up. 2 man team who can recruit but are going to be up against some odds (see above).

3) 3 Things to start - they are still 3. SMC has some serious either beefed up town or he has some serious parameters around assimilation.

Thats my take on the set up knowing what we know on day 2.

I'm also sticking with the idea of a two man team to start, with some sort of restriction on assimilation. Every assimilation would be a two man swing towards scum (scum +1 & town -1), so to be fair with that style of game it would seem that a 50% assimilation rate would be reasonable.

That said, I think we need to look at who is possibly working together. Whether we look at DanX for her relentless campaign of Slats innocence. Or was it a team creating distance, like Pac and JVOR. I'm just throwing out ideas...not that I'm putting merit in any of those examples...just giving examples of things not to look past if we are searching for a 2 people potentially working together on day 1.

If it were just a two man team, I'd think the two would go out of their way to distance themselves from each other, not the other way around. Maybe not overtly -like picking a fight, or FOS'ing, or voting- but just kinda ignoring the other. That's the way I'd do it.

Crusher and Sharrow's absence during AVM's long walk to the the gallows should be taken into consideration here, too.

I'm also sticking with the idea of a two man team to start, with some sort of restriction on assimilation. Every assimilation would be a two man swing towards scum (scum +1 & town -1), so to be fair with that style of game it would seem that a 50% assimilation rate would be reasonable.

That's what makes the most sense.

So know you are agreeing with the guy in which you created the ultimate case against and refused to unvote when you had the chance to self preserve to start up a little something on Pac?

I just want to make sure I'm getting this right?

I agree with the fact that scum would have likely targeted the least suspicious people for assimilation last night.

I thought you'd played this game before.

I still stand by my case on Vic, but I do think the point he made is valid when speculating who could have been assimilated.

You keep saying Hammering would have made you an immediate lynch candidate... that's ridiculous. In fact had you strolled in and hammered citing self preservation I would have been LESS suspicious.

I call bull****.

Of course you are going to say this... now.

You know the scenario I am laying out makes perfects sense as a scum ploy by you.

Voting Vic for your sarcastic reasons seemed douchy at best, scummy at worst, but I don't remember twisting your arm one way or the other there.

Thats the thing, you are so good you dont even need to twist. Just lightly tap.

When I was cult leader, I got muffin top 1st night, CTM 2nd night and was unsuccessful the rest of the way...but there was also a scum team in that game.

If it were just a two man team, I'd think the two would go out of their way to distance themselves from each other, not the other way around. Maybe not overtly -like picking a fight, or FOS'ing, or voting- but just kinda ignoring the other. That's the way I'd do it.

Crusher and Sharrow's absence during AVM's long walk to the the gallows should be taken into consideration here, too.

I think that depend on their personality. It would be just like Pac to make an obnoxious fight seem real. He'd be in his ever lasting glory...and I wouldnt put it past CTM to do so as well. If it were a team like Crusher and Sharrow, I'd think they would try the under the radar strategy...BG would fall in that category as well.

Not that I think this is the gospel...just throwing out ideas.

Archived