Kurt Warner won't pull a Favre

Bruce Banner

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/05/kurt-warner-wont-pull-a-brett-favre-quashing-any-talks-of-a-potential-nfl-comeback/1?csp=34sports&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+UsatodaycomNfl-TopStories+%28Sports+-+NFL+-+Top+Stories%29

The Arizona Cardinals may be unsettled at quarterback, but don't expect retired Kurt Warner to return and fix their problems.

Warner attended an Iowa Barnstormers game Friday night, and the Arena team retired its former quarterback's No. 13 jersey.

Warner took the opportunity to tell NFL Network's Paul Burmeister that he won't be wearing any jersey in a competitive environment again.

"I've read that (rumors of a comeback) a lot lately, too, but I don't know who's making those decisions," said Warner.

"We don't have to worry about that. When I made this decision, it was a final decision. It was something that I thought about -- wanted to make sure I was very comfortable with leaving the game, not that I was just comfortable for a couple of months but that I was comfortable to be able to walk away and not ever play another down. So football from that standpoint -- on the field, running the plays, throwing the passes -- isn't a part of my future."

Warner is taking his time sifting through future opportunities, and may latch onto one that keeps him close to the NFL, perhaps as a broadcaster.

"I would definitely like to stay involved with the game," he said. "It's meant so much to me. I believe I've got a lot to offer after my 12-year experience in the NFL that I hope that that's a part of my future, at least to some degree."

Is this a big story? No, but I wanted to give credit to someone who does things with class.

Well done sir. And if anyone deserves some rest its Kurt. He'll make an excellent broadcaster.

One of the clearest signs as to how much Kurt is respected was during his last game against the Saints, when late in the game Kurt was about to get sacked, but instead of the Saints linemen knocking him down, they held him up. One of the classiest things I've ever seen on a football field, especially since a few of the hits he took in the playoffs cemented his retirement.

Is this a big story? No, but I wanted to give credit to someone who does things with class.

IMHO Warners always been a class act. I'm a little surprised he retired since he can still play at a high level. I wonder if all the "losses" the Cards suffered in the off season helped with his decision ?

IMHO Warners always been a class act. I'm a little surprised he retired since he can still play at a high level. I wonder if all the "losses" the Cards suffered in the off season helped with his decision ?

When you saw the expression on his wife's face with each grimacing hit Warner took last year, you just knew he was done. This hit by Bobby McCray in the Saints game is probably the one that made Warner officially call it quits:

a-TjZn1ELEA

He may be similar to Roger Staubach. I've heard that like Staubach, he's a person of faith (although present information is not an indicator of future performance) and he may be content to simply spend time with his family.

When you saw the expression on his wife's face with each grimacing hit Warner took last year, you just knew he was done. This hit by Bobby McCray in the Saints game is probably the one that made Warner officially call it quits:

a-TjZn1ELEA

Yeah that might have done it for me too.

He may be similar to Roger Staubach. I've heard that like Staubach, he's a person of faith (although present information is not an indicator of future performance) and he may be content to simply spend time with his family.

I think Kurt Warner's the real deal and we won't have to worry about any LT like episodes in his future.

Congratulations to Kurt Warner for a great career.

However, I don't see why staying retired is such a big deal to some fans. Favre never held out in camp or did any of this stuff until he hit 35, the age most QB's retire.

Frankly, I think once you hit 35 coming back each year requires you to play games with your own head, let alone being straight with other people. As long as you can finally work your way back to readiness, and somebody is willing to play you, what's the problem?

Congratulations to Kurt Warner for a great career.

However, I don't see why staying retired is such a big deal to some fans. Favre never held out in camp or did any of this stuff until he hit 35, the age most QB's retire.

Frankly, I think once you hit 35 coming back each year requires you to play games with your own head, let alone being straight with other people. As long as you can finally work your way back to readiness, and somebody is willing to play you, what's the problem?

Ditto! Kurt is a classy guy and an excellent ambassador for the NFL. He is much classier then Favre. I wish him the best of everything and a long life.

Archived