NFLPA Files Challenge to TV Deal

flgreen

Updated: June 9, 2010, 3:10 PM ET

NFLPA files challenge to TV deals

ESPN.com news services

The NFL Players' Association is challenging the structure of the NFL's television contracts in a filing Wednesday to special master Stephen Burbank of the University of Pennsylvania.

The NFLPA is arguing that the league essentially set up a 2011 lockout protection fund with the structure of its TV deals.

"The union argues that this agreement was made to the detriment of the players and is, in fact, a weapon to be used against the players in the lockout. "

i'm no lawyer, but thinking ahead and protecting yourself is hardly illegal, immoral or unethical

isn't the union telling players to save money for a "war chest" ?

I think special master dude is gonna laugh this one out of his office

"The union argues that this agreement was made to the detriment of the players and is, in fact, a weapon to be used against the players in the lockout. "

i'm no lawyer, but thinking ahead and protecting yourself is hardly illegal, immoral or unethical

I agree that the union claim is baseless. In US labor law there is some wording requiring both parties to negotiate in good faith. Don't ask me to quote it, I'm not a lawyer. Anyway, my guess it that they are going to accuse the NFL of _wanting_ a strike, thus violating the good faith requirement.

In US labor law there is some wording requiring both parties to negotiate in good faith. Don't ask me to quote it, I'm not a lawyer.

You pretty much just did.

Good Faith and Fair Dealing is standard. Jumping straight to blind indignation is plain dumb right now because it's pretty obvious that all the facts haven't presented themselves yet.

Larz, isn't this the same as a unions - STRIKE FUND?

Heck, Donald Fehr and the late Gene Upshaw would have never had the nerve to post this to the press.

Of course, what can I say about a union (NFLPA) that does not have a "Strike Fund" and forces their players to put away their own money - Just what are the players paying the NFLPA for anyway?

Almost makes me think that the players are certain there will be a lockout in 2011 and their agents are running scarred.

I tell you about professional athleates and their agents - It's all about the benjamins!

Archived