Minicamp recap: The good, bad & ugly

NIGHT STALKER

June, 16, 2010

6:46 PM ET

By Rich Cimini

The Jets' three-day minicamp is in the books. Let's take a look at three positives and three negatives, not counting contract disputes:

POSITIVES

1. Mark Sanchez is back. He wasn't particularly sharp, but that was to be expected after a four-month layoff. For the Jets, the important thing is that he participated fully in five practices (three minicamp and two OTAs) over the last eight days with seemingly no problems with his surgically repaired knee. He was able to plant hard on the knee, slide in the pocket and throw on the run. His accuracy was off, but let's not nit-pick. His mere presence on the field provided an emotional lift as the team heads into six weeks of down time before training camp.

2. Secondary depth. The Jets have so many defensive backs that the coaching staff is mulling a funky scheme in which eight (yes, eight) DBs are on the field at the same time. Former San Diego Charger Antonio Cromartie was slowed a bit by a sore hamstring and hip, but his man-to-man skills were evident. As OLB Jason Taylor noted, "I tell you what, having two corners like Revis and Cromartie, there's a lot we can do up front." Rookie CB Kyle Wilson impressed with his studious demeanor and CB Dwight Lowery made several big plays, as did new S Brodney Pool.

3. Playmakers at receiver. You don't want to place too much emphasis on non-contact drills in June, but you can't deny the improved talent at wide receiver. Braylon Edwards capped a positive offseason with a strong minicamp, earning rave reviews from coaches and teammates. The same could be said for newcomer Santonio Holmes, who made a few acrobatic catches. Holmes and Edwards, both X receivers (split ends) for much of their careers, are learning the Z (flanker) and F (slot) positions. That will add versatility to the passing offense.

NEGATIVES

1. Kicking themselves. PK Nick Folk, whom the Jets signed to replace the reliable Jay Feely, was inconsistent throughout the camp and the entire offseason. On Wednesday, working by himself in the new stadium, he missed three straight FGs from 42 yards. For a team like the Jets, who like to play low-scoring, defensive games, it's imperative to have a consistent kicker. Folk has a strong leg, that is clear, but the rollercoaster act isn't going to fly in the preseason.

2. D-Line depth. NT Kris Jenkins, coming off major knee surgery, made it back and participated in team drills -- a positive -- but there's still a lack of depth on the line. They have Jenkins, Shaun Ellis, Mike DeVito and Sione Pouha, but there isn't much experience past the top four. Taylor, a hybrid pass rusher, could be a part-time lineman in certain schemes, but he's recovering from shoulder surgery and didn't do anything of significance in the minicamp or OTAs. He's expected to be ready for training camp, but you have to wonder, at age 35, how much he has left. Adalius Thomas, an old Rex Ryan favorite from Baltimore, still is a free agent. He, too, is a hybrid.

3. Quarterback depth. After Sanchez, it's shaky. Kellen Clemens is what he is, which is why the Jets are looking to sign veteran Mark Brunell in late July. But would Brunell, almost 40, be a good insurance policy? Neither Erik Ainge nor Kevin O'Connell stepped up in minicamp. In fact, over the last two days, multi-purpose threat Brad Smith actually got more reps at quarterback than Ainge and O'Connell.

This and That: Sanchez went 5-for-9 in team drills ... Revis made a nice pass break-up on WR Jerricho Cotchery, closing quickly for the deflection ... Ryan on the team's chances in 2010: "We're loaded as a football team. I keep going back to what my dad said: 'Just don't mess it up.'" ... Cromartie intercepted a long pass from Clemens ... At the end of practice, a plane flew over the stadium with a banner that read, "Happy birthday, Jerricho - Mercedes." That's his wife ... Cotchery ran a fade route on Wilson, beating the No. 1 pick for a 6-yard TD. Later, Cotchery had a rare drop.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-yorkjets...medium=twitter

POSITIVES

2. Secondary depth.

3. Playmakers at receiver.

This has absolutely nothing to do with what happened in minicamp. You can't believe **** like this. The best players are playing reciever and DB? Either one group is outplaying the other or he is projecting that they are doing well because they are competitve with what by name is a good group. They added Cromartie, Wilson, Pool, Holmes and have Edwards in for a full offseason, of course those positions are positives, but I don't believe that Cimini learned anything special about this from camp.

NEGATIVES

2. D-Line depth. NT Kris Jenkins, coming off major knee surgery, made it back and participated in team drills -- a positive -- but there's still a lack of depth on the line. They have Jenkins, Shaun Ellis, Mike DeVito and Sione Pouha, but there isn't much experience past the top four. Taylor, a hybrid pass rusher, could be a part-time lineman in certain schemes, but he's recovering from shoulder surgery and didn't do anything of significance in the minicamp or OTAs. He's expected to be ready for training camp, but you have to wonder, at age 35, how much he has left. Adalius Thomas, an old Rex Ryan favorite from Baltimore, still is a free agent. He, too, is a hybrid.

Interesting that he didn't mention Gholston. I know Gholston is a bust and all, but he will certainly be on the roster and he is a much better fit for 3-4 DE than Taylor, Thomas (Adalius or Bryan) or Pace. He's big and strong and should be better able to hold the point than those guys who have games that are more speed oriented. I'm not saying he'll be a world beater, but I believe he will be plenty of reps. Also strange that he'd mention Adalius (who they have no room for with Thomas, Pace, Taylor, plus Westerman and Basped) but not Douglas who has played that spot for the #1 D last year and is still on the street.

In fact, over the last two days, multi-purpose threat Brad Smith actually got more reps at quarterback than Ainge and O'Connell.

Ouch.

Given what we have at QB he is probably our best option right now after Sanchez.

To me the interesting thing about Smith as a QB is that he would be a saved roster spot. He'd be the perfect guy for mop up duty or end of game injury replacement. he can move around and run packages the other teams haven't prepared for all week. Then you have your real #2 who was the inactive #3 for the following week. Odd thing is the Jets have not only carried the usual 3 QBs + Smith, but they've actually carried 4 + Smith. Seems crazy to me.

1. Mark Sanchez is back. He wasn't particularly sharp... His accuracy was off...

This and That: Sanchez went 5-for-9 in team drills ... Revis made a nice pass break-up on WR Jerricho Cotchery, closing quickly for the deflection ...

If Sanchez wasn't sharp, and his accuracy was off, but he still managed to go 5 for 9 against the Jets' secondary... I'll take it.

3. Quarterback depth. After Sanchez, it's shaky. Kellen Clemens is what he is, which is why the Jets are looking to sign veteran Mark Brunell in late July. But would Brunell, almost 40, be a good insurance policy? Neither Erik Ainge nor Kevin O'Connell stepped up in minicamp. In fact, over the last two days, multi-purpose threat Brad Smith actually got more reps at quarterback than Ainge and O'Connell.

Brad Smith is a 100% lock to make the team, none of these other backup QB's can say that. They're wasting their time with Kellen. It's all a big show like anyone's going to believe he has some value to the team. The Jets are going to pick up Brunell, and Clemens will be cut in the same breath.

Ainge and O'Connell not stepping up is a minor problem. I was really hoping one of them would, and would be able to step in if Sanchez were to get hurt - with Brunell serving more of a mentor-type role.

Unlike those kids, Smith plays. He knows the speed of the game first hand, and might be the better option if Sanchez needs to come out for a play or two.

On Wednesday, working by himself in the new stadium, [PK Nick Folk] missed three straight FGs from 42 yards.

Jay Feely is a god.

Interesting that he didn't mention Gholston. I know Gholston is a bust and all, but he will certainly be on the roster and he is a much better fit for 3-4 DE than Taylor, Thomas (Adalius or Bryan) or Pace. He's big and strong and should be better able to hold the point than those guys who have games that are more speed oriented. I'm not saying he'll be a world beater, but I beleive he will be plenty of reps. Also strange that he'd mention Adalius (who they have no room for with Thomas, Pace, Taylor, plus Westerman and Basped) but not Douglas who has played that spot for the #1 D last year and is still on the street.

Excellent points!

I was also perplexed about him mentioning Adalius there. He and Jason Taylor play the same position, and he obviously like JT a lot better, using their lone UFA spot on him.

I'd forgotten about Douglas. I'd like to think the Jets are keeping in contact with him. Cimini's talking strictly about experience here, but I think the Jets like Pitoitua a lot as well. There's also Rodrique Wright who has some starting experience, and a couple other warm bodies like Kroul and Steinkuhler. Would be nice to hear that one or two of the kids is stepping up, too.

Excellent points!

I was also perplexed about him mentioning Adalius there. He and Jason Taylor play the same position, and he obviously like JT a lot better, using their lone UFA spot on him.

I'd forgotten about Douglas. I'd like to think the Jets are keeping in contact with him. Cimini's talking strictly about experience here, but I think the Jets like Pitoitua a lot as well. There's also Rodrique Wright who has some starting experience, and a couple other warm bodies like Kroul and Steinkuhler. Would be nice to hear that one or two of the kids is stepping up, too.

Yeah, I think the Jets are pretty much set at DE. I don't see Adalius Thomas as even a remote possibility. They have Devito and Ellis who have been more than fine. I like going young and haven't heard anything but compliments for Pitoitua and Kroul. Wright has a shot and Gholston might be able to add something. They have plenty of guys that can play 4-3 DE, so it's not like nobody can put their hand in the dirt.

The only thing that makes me wonder were the threats of dealing or dumping Ellis. I can understand making him play out his deal, but it's nice to have at least one quality vet. FWIW, the last news item I've seen about Douglas was that the Panthers showed interest. That was in March.

NEGATIVES

1. Kicking themselves. PK Nick Folk, whom the Jets signed to replace the reliable Jay Feely, was inconsistent throughout the camp and the entire offseason. On Wednesday, working by himself in the new stadium, he missed three straight FGs from 42 yards. For a team like the Jets, who like to play low-scoring, defensive games, it's imperative to have a consistent kicker. Folk has a strong leg, that is clear, but the rollercoaster act isn't going to fly in the preseason.

Missed three in a row from 42????? But, but, but.... 42 is AUTOMATIC. HAHAHAHAHA yeah right!!!

Archived