if i were mike t,nobody would be getting contracts this year

ylekram

with the uncertainy of the cba,it really is foolish to extend guys contracts this year unless they are jet friendly.from what i am hearing,the cap could be 18% less than last year.$127mil is now about 105mil...53 players on a team.do the math.i realize mangold and revis are the best,but do you really want 22m to 23m a year to go to your center and 1 db??especially when most teams center and db's make less than 1/3 of that.

after the parade this year,assuming holmes and cromartie work out,mike t needs to call revis,brick,mangold,harris,cromartie,holmes,and edwards into the office.with all the bs of team and chemistry the jets players preach,mike t should tell them to show it.take a little less than top $,some kinda home town discount,and everybody is signed and can win for years to come.the ones that agree,sign em.the ones who dont,trade em.i know its a pipe dream but it would be nice.it worked with tom brady and the pats

from what i am hearing,the cap could be 18% less than last year.$127mil is now about 105mil...

This is not happening. Not a chance in the world. This is management's first proposal, and the 18% figure has been thrown around by the union leadership in an attempt to rally the troops. It's a foolish move on their part, IMHO, and just a scare tactic.

The union, meanwhile, is looking for more revenue to be included for salary cap purposes and management will be looking for a rookie salary cap. Any rookie salary cap will probably be tied to the same/more money for vets. In fact, if a real rookie salary cap is in place, contracts like Gholston's never happen and teams do have more money to sign their vets.

So yeah, you give market value contracts to the best CB and center in the game without worrying about it too much. Business will not be altered drastically.

well,i agree.i would love to sign revis to a market value contract and so would the jets.that would be totally jet friendly.the problem being 31 teams beleive the market value to be 9.5m per and al davis,revis and company beleive it to be 16m per

hopefully your right about the cba not changing much.but they really need to take care of the rookie pay scale.

they need to do away with the cap all together and just put a pay scale in place for everyone. This way the salaries will not skyrocket all at once and the teams will be able to resign all of their players and not have to make decisions that will hurt them. As for free agency just keep it like it was this year.

I agree with the OP. The Jets could take having so many contracts coming due and turn that to their advantage. Silverback Goodell will most likely force a pay cut on the players. Then the Jets swoop in and resign all those players to contracts that make sense under the new CBA. Teams with a lot of highly paid players on long term contracts will be at a disadvantage compared to the Jets.

I agree with the OP. The Jets could take having so many contracts coming due and turn that to their advantage. Silverback Goodell will most likely force a pay cut on the players. Then the Jets swoop in and resign all those players to contracts that make sense under the new CBA. Teams with a lot of highly paid players on long term contracts will be at a disadvantage compared to the Jets.

Under a new (lower) cap I could still see Revis's value at $10-11M per year, and Ferguson's in the $9-10M range, but Mangold's wouldn't still be in the $8M range.

So if the Jets could lock up Revis and Ferguson in that range, I'd still do it. Mangold at $7M I'd probably still do but would feel better if it was less; but absent that new, lower cap being established already he's unlikely to accept that (nor would I in his position).

In a nutshell, I think Tannenbaum is playing it about right so far, but even an experienced pro can lose a game of chicken. These guys have value no matter what. But they don't have the same value they'd have under an expired CBA that would have seen the cap rise to over $130M this season.

Archived