Sean Payton: Jets are a Threat

flgreen

Super Bowl coach: Jets are a threat

Jets Blog

By STEVE SERBY

Last Updated: 2:43 PM, June 29, 2010

Posted: 2:32 PM, June 29, 2010

Sean Payton views the Jets as a threat to take his Saints' Super Bowl title.

"They're a threat to everyone," the New Orleans head coach said today.

That's because the head coach is a force atop the Jets' organization.

"I like Rex Ryan," Payton said. "He's brought a swagger to that team. I think he's a guy that's fresh. I think he's outstanding as a coach. And I think his players gravitate to him, and you see that."

Payton knows the role intangibles can play in a championship season. He was promoting his book "Home Team," the story of how the Saints and post-Katrina New Orleans bonded during their 2009 run to the NFL title.

Payton, a former Giants offensive coordinator, said Mark Sanchez gives the Jets a winning quarterback, too.

"I think he's a sharp guy who's won," Payton said. "I think he's played in big spots. I think he's gonna get better. We loved him coming out (of USC in 2009). I think he's got some of those things you look for in a young player after his rookie season.

"I thought he had good arm talent. I think he has accuracy. I think he sees himself as a competitor. There was a lot of upside with him, considering he really hadn't started a lot of college games."

Payton, himself outspoken at times, said he doesn't mind Ryan's braggadocio. Payton added that NFL teams are studying Ryan's top-rated defense this offseason.

"I guess the No. 1 mistake young coaches can have is to try to be someone they're not," Payton said. "I think you have to be yourself, and I think Rex is being himself."

Super Bowl coach: Jets are a threat

Jets Blog

By STEVE SERBY

Last Updated: 2:43 PM, June 29, 2010

Posted: 2:32 PM, June 29, 2010

Sean Payton views the Jets as a threat to take his Saints' Super Bowl title.

"They're a threat to everyone," the New Orleans head coach said today.

That's because the head coach is a force atop the Jets' organization.

"I like Rex Ryan," Payton said. "He's brought a swagger to that team. I think he's a guy that's fresh. I think he's outstanding as a coach. And I think his players gravitate to him, and you see that."

Payton knows the role intangibles can play in a championship season. He was promoting his book "Home Team," the story of how the Saints and post-Katrina New Orleans bonded during their 2009 run to the NFL title.

Payton, a former Giants offensive coordinator, said Mark Sanchez gives the Jets a winning quarterback, too.

"I think he's a sharp guy who's won," Payton said. "I think he's played in big spots. I think he's gonna get better. We loved him coming out (of USC in 2009). I think he's got some of those things you look for in a young player after his rookie season.

"I thought he had good arm talent. I think he has accuracy. I think he sees himself as a competitor. There was a lot of upside with him, considering he really hadn't started a lot of college games."

Payton, himself outspoken at times, said he doesn't mind Ryan's braggadocio. Payton added that NFL teams are studying Ryan's top-rated defense this offseason.

"I guess the No. 1 mistake young coaches can have is to try to be someone they're not," Payton said. "I think you have to be yourself, and I think Rex is being himself."

Like Mangini trying his hardest to emulate Belicheat*.

Payton actually said this last year. He was asked who the "surprise" team was and Payton chose Jets. He was right.

I think he and Ryan are friends because he always has nice things to say about him. There is a shift in the NFL. The Saints and Jets are actually really good football teams. Imagine that!!

Payton added that NFL teams are studying Ryan's top-rated defense this offseason.

Teams have been doing this since Rexy's Raven days and they still couldn't figure it out. Study all you want. It's coming and there isn't a damn thing anyone can do about it.

facepalm1.jpg

why did no one say the giants superbowl was about bonding after 9/11??? the hurricane was 5 freaking years ago! in 2005 or 2006 maybe this was a legitimate story. what next, if the 49ers win a superbowl all we'll hear is about how it's great for the city to win after the 1906 earthquake?

why did no one say the giants superbowl was about bonding after 9/11??? the hurricane was 5 freaking years ago! in 2005 or 2006 maybe this was a legitimate story. what next, if the 49ers win a superbowl all we'll hear is about how it's great for the city to win after the 1906 earthquake?

Actually, JGB, Payton became the HC of the Saints a few months after Katrina and was joined by Drew Brees. The story is about these 4 years there which culminated with the SB. It's not just about 2009.

Heck, that POS owner of the Saints wanted to move the team from NO after Katrina but the NFL stopped him. The Saints, Payton & Brees are an important component of the local area there and helped with the rebuilding of the city.

So I have no idea why you're hatin'.

Actually, JGB, Payton became the HC of the Saints a few months after Katrina and was joined by Drew Brees. The story is about these 4 years there which culminated with the SB. It's not just about 2009.

Heck, that POS owner of the Saints wanted to move the team from NO after Katrina but the NFL stopped him. The Saints, Payton & Brees are an important component of the local area there and helped with the rebuilding of the city.

So I have no idea why you're hatin'.

probably just backlashing against 5 years of saturation about it every time i watch the saints play. i sincerely hoped them winning would put it to bed but apparently not.

probably just backlashing against 5 years of saturation about it every time i watch the saints play. i sincerely hoped them winning would put it to bed but apparently not.

I hear you & it does get annoying.

BUT, the connection is valid considering that the Saints was the city's 1st major sports team at the time, how the Superdome got f'd up during the storm, and Payton & Brees came there right after the storm.

A lot of other sports stories stretch the connection to RL events, but this one is definitely connected.

I hear you & it does get annoying.

BUT, the connection is valid considering that the Saints was the city's 1st major sports team at the time, how the Superdome got f'd up during the storm, and Payton & Brees came there right after the storm.

A lot of other sports stories stretch the connection to RL events, but this one is definitely connected.

ok but for how long?

Sean Payton is a good dude. I recall a great conversation we had - he was with the Giants and they were playing the Pats the next day. He was telling me how special Drew Bledsoe was. Probably one of the best he's ever seen. How every team should fear Drew Bledsoe. I was startled...and pleased. Now I know he was blowing smoke.

Sean Payton is a good dude. I recall a great conversation we had - he was with the Giants and they were playing the Pats the next day. He was telling me how special Drew Bledsoe was. Probably one of the best he's ever seen. How every team should fear Drew Bledsoe. I was startled...and pleased. Now I know he was blowing smoke.

bledsoe had no heart... well specifically weak arteries leading thereto ;)

How young was Bledsoe when he said this? I watched Bledsoe in person in college and it was the best QB performance I ever saw with my own eyes, maybe the best I've seen in any manner. He was a different player in college, I don't know what happened. He didn't even throw it side arm in college.

How young was Bledsoe when he said this? I watched Bledsoe in person in college and it was the best QB performance I ever saw with my own eyes, maybe the best I've seen in any manner. He was a different player in college, I don't know what happened. He didn't even throw it side arm in college.

1999? 2000? Long time ago. Eeeek....

Im sorry I just had to chime in here. Im a Saints fan and a long time Jets fan. I've been lurking here for a while an never posted but I felt I needed to reply to this post. Maybe because I am a New Orleans resident and have some emotional investment.

But the correlation between the Saints, New Orleans and Katrina is not some made up, media created feel good story. Sure, the media loves it because they are all about sensationalism. But the Saints are a big part of New Orleans, when Katrina hit, there were talks about the city not existing! After 9/11, people went home. Im not trying to compare the 2 because they are 2 different sorts of tragedies. And I do remember very well emotional games the Jets and the Giants played post 9/11. But we are talking about an entire city that was almost wiped off the map. And a team that has been the doormat of the NFL for decades finally blossoming into a top caliber organization. The recovery of the the city and the Saints are synonymous. You have no idea the emotional escape Saints games mean to the people of our region.

I understand your point of view, I do believe the "What this city's been through" story line has been shoved down so many people's throat, and there is a sort of Katrina fatigue around the world...that understandable. But Payton's book details the recovery of a team, a city, and a people and its a great story.

With that said, I think the Jets will be competitive for years to come. Rex is a good coach and you guys have some awesome players. I hope they do well, it would be nice for the Saints vs Jets in the Super Bowl. Hopefully the media will drop the Katrina story line so you wont be annoyed. But now we have the oil spill to ram down your throats :P

Im sorry I just had to chime in here. Im a Saints fan and a long time Jets fan. I've been lurking here for a while an never posted but I felt I needed to reply to this post. Maybe because I am a New Orleans resident and have some emotional investment.

But the correlation between the Saints, New Orleans and Katrina is not some made up, media created feel good story. Sure, the media loves it because they are all about sensationalism. But the Saints are a big part of New Orleans, when Katrina hit, there were talks about the city not existing! After 9/11, people went home. Im not trying to compare the 2 because they are 2 different sorts of tragedies. And I do remember very well emotional games the Jets and the Giants played post 9/11. But we are talking about an entire city that was almost wiped off the map. And a team that has been the doormat of the NFL for decades finally blossoming into a top caliber organization. The recovery of the the city and the Saints are synonymous. You have no idea the emotional escape Saints games mean to the people of our region.

I understand your point of view, I do believe the "What this city's been through" story line has been shoved down so many people's throat, and there is a sort of Katrina fatigue around the world...that understandable. But Payton's book details the recovery of a team, a city, and a people and its a great story.

With that said, I think the Jets will be competitive for years to come. Rex is a good coach and you guys have some awesome players. I hope they do well, it would be nice for the Saints vs Jets in the Super Bowl. Hopefully the media will drop the Katrina story line so you wont be annoyed. But now we have the oil spill to ram down your throats :P

good post, welcome to JN!

good post, welcome to JN!

Thanks. I've been a Jets fan since the early 2000's when Herm was in. I dont know how I became a fan. I guess it was maybe my hate for the Giants. I just wanted the Jets to win so badly.

But I was hoping you guys would lose to the Colts, I would rather play the Colts in the Super Bowl than the Jets. I just didnt like how the Jets and Saints matched up. Even though we beat you guys earlier in the year....lets be honest, the Jets were playing with a different swagger towards the end of the season. And our defense had to win that game because Rex's defense had neutralized our Offense.

Thanks. I've been a Jets fan since the early 2000's when Herm was in. I dont know how I became a fan. I guess it was maybe my hate for the Giants. I just wanted the Jets to win so badly.

But I was hoping you guys would lose to the Colts, I would rather play the Colts in the Super Bowl than the Jets. I just didnt like how the Jets and Saints matched up. Even though we beat you guys earlier in the year....lets be honest, the Jets were playing with a different swagger towards the end of the season. And our defense had to win that game because Rex's defense had neutralized our Offense.

bacame a jets fan during the herm years?? hadn't you suffered enough as a saints fan before winning the big one this year? ;)

i think the saints would've beat either the colts or us in the SB - jets' lack of depth in the secondary would've been picked apart by brees just as it was by manning. but thanks for saying it :)

Archived