Tony Dungy Says He Wouldnt Hire Rex Ryan

Vudu

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If there is one thing I have learned about Generation X and Y in my career as a branding professional... it is that both demographics have a very keen awareness of authenticity. If for one second those players felt that Rex wasn't being himself, he would lose them.

Need proof of this? See: Eric Mangini

Excellent point. Watching Mangini try to act like Bellicheat was disturbing.

Quoting someone who posted a comment to the article on an NBC Sports page:

_Stead says:

August 16, 2010 11:56 AM

Tony Dungy is one of the most pompous blowhards the NFL has ever seen. His own son committed suicide yet "Mentor" Ton-Ton runs around pontificating on how everyone else should carry themselves.

Memo to Tony Dungy: Take care of your own business first then get back to us.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/16/tony-dungy-disappointed-with-rex-ryans-profanity/

Quoting someone who posted a comment to the article on an NBC Sports page:

_Stead says:

August 16, 2010 11:56 AM

Tony Dungy is one of the most pompous blowhards the NFL has ever seen. His own son committed suicide yet "Mentor" Ton-Ton runs around pontificating on how everyone else should carry themselves.

Memo to Tony Dungy: Take care of your own business first then get back to us.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/16/tony-dungy-disappointed-with-rex-ryans-profanity/

i saw that comment when this story was first published. It's just an ugly comment. The person who posted that is a sad human being.

I have mixed feelings about that comment, too.

But the point is, he has his own crap to deal with on a human level, and he shouldnt be so worried about others' language in a football context.

Bringing up his son's suicide is just wrong. He had no control over that. And it has nothing to do with this story.

I do think Tony should mind his own business but bringing up the fact that his son killed himself is just ugly and uncalled for.

Bringing up his son's suicide is just wrong. He had no control over that. And it has nothing to do with this story.

I do think Tony should mind his own business but bringing up the fact that his son killed himself is just ugly and uncalled for.

Something was amiss in his family- and it wasn't about money- for his son to take his own life.

It was a tragedy, but in some ways it WAS a reflection on Dungy's fatherhood skills.

So, he should think twice before he spouts off about others' behavior, particularly in this case, which is not even borderline.

Something was amiss in his family- and it wasn't about money- for his son to take his own life.

It was a tragedy, but in some ways it WAS a reflection on Dungy's fatherhood skills.

So, he should think twice before he spouts off about others' behavior, particularly in this case, which is not even borderline.

No offense but his fatherhood skills or lack therof has nothing to do with this story. Again bringing it up was uncalled for. I bet the douche that wrote his comment was high fiving himself.

No offense but his fatherhood skills or lack therof has nothing to do with this story. Again bringing it up was uncalled for. I bet the douche that wrote his comment was high fiving himself.

Do you think his son hanged himself because he was part of a happy, well-adjusted family?

I don't think so, and although I admire dungy as a God-fearing man, he should keep his trap shut when it comes to criticizing the behasvior of other coaches.

See, I don't dislike him at all, but he needs to STFU about stuff like this, because he has skeletons in his closet.

Guys I have to side with DLJ on this. Pointing to Dungy's kid committing suicide, and drawing from that whether Dungy should be able to speak his mind about Rex's language, is pretty low.

I've known good parents who had some major tragedies with their kids. Believe me when I tell you it isn't quite so easy to point to the parents and say it's their fault for doing or not doing something.

Some people are just born with less than a full deck, emotionally speaking. It is far from conclusive that Dungy's son committed suicide because of the father's parenting skills or lack thereof.

Dungy is a fool, is one of the most overrated people in football, is a true homophobe/bigot, and is probably at least somewhat racist to boot. That said, his kid's death is a tragedy even someone who doesn't like him wouldn't pin as a sin of the father. Let alone as a reason why Dungy should keep his mouth shut on a totally unrelated issue.

Do you think his son hanged himself because he was part of a happy, well-adjusted family?

I don't think so, and although I admire dungy as a God-fearing man, he should keep his trap shut when it comes to criticizing the behasvior of other coaches.

See, I don't dislike him at all, but he needs to STFU about stuff like this, because he has skeletons in his closet.

You dont know WHY he killed himself. You weren't there nor do you know their family situation. For all you know he could have had mental issues or any number of other issues. People kill themselves for various reasons. This is just pure speculation. :rolleyes:

You dont know WHY he killed himself. You weren't there nor do you know their family situation. For all you know he could have had mental issues or any number of other issues. People kill themselves for various reasons. This is just pure speculation. :rolleyes:

He was suffering from untreated depression, possibly the number one cause of suicide.

He had abused painkillers, and was not receiving treatment for that.

He was 18 or younger, and was apparently suffering from these untreated ailments while he was a minor.

Just because Dungy is a celeb doesnt take him off the hook for neglecting the mental health of his child.

He was suffering from untreated depression, possibly the number one cause of suicide.

He had abused painkillers, and was not receiving treatment for that.

He was 18 or younger, and was apparently suffering from these untreated ailments while he was a minor.

Just because Dungy is a celeb doesnt take him off the hook for neglecting the mental health of his child.

plus he just broke up or had a huge fight with his girlfriend.

Right. Bad language is the reason Tony Dungy wouldn't hire Rex Ryan. Sure.

They should make a rule that requires all self-righteous soapbox GM's to interview at least one boorish, foul-mouthed candidate for every vacant head coaching position... regardless of whether or not that soapbox GM has a candidate in mind already or not. Its only fair.

They should make a rule that requires all self-righteous soapbox GM's to interview at least one boorish, foul-mouthed candidate for every vacant head coaching position... regardless of whether or not that soapbox GM has a candidate in mind already or not. Its only fair.

Well played, you damned dirty ape.

Archived