Tony Dungy Says He Wouldnt Hire Rex Ryan

Vudu

Do you guys now realize why 99% of Pats fans can't stand Dungy? The guy thinks he is the NFL's moral compass when in reality he is just a blowhard who comments on things just to voice his "high and mighty" opinion. GFY Dungy!

I see the light now. Dungy = Douche

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reminds me of that bit from Raw when Murphy tells about Pryor saying Cosby should **** off. "Do the people laugh when you say the things that you say? Do you get paid? Well tell Bill I said have a Coke and a smile an to shut the **** up."

Oh yeah Roger Goodell should call and tell Rex Ryan not to curse on a HBO show which is run by NFL Films which is owned by the NFL because it sends the wrong message... or maybe if Goodell is that concerned with it, he can tell Steve Sabol not to air the parts where Rex curses every 5 seconds. I mean the NFL is the one that oversees Hard Knocks. Tony Dungy is an idiot.

Tony Dungy is the single most over-rated mother****er to ever do anything anywhere ever. That he's held on high as some sort of messianic figure is a joke, and just highlights the worst of racial politics in America. F%ck that guy.

IMO it has nothing to do with race. The media loves this guy because he is soft spoken and a "nice guy." The guy is a prick.

IMO it has nothing to do with race. The media loves this guy because he is soft spoken and a "nice guy." The guy is a prick.

Dungy has built-in multicultural appeal that crosses demographic lines-- a must for any panel discussion-based program. Add to it the fact that he's an avowed bible-thumper and he's a producer's wet dream, even with the homophobia.

Do you guys now realize why 99% of Pats fans can't stand Dungy? The guy thinks he is the NFL's moral compass when in reality he is just a blowhard who comments on things just to voice his "high and mighty" opinion. GFY Dungy!

I do believe that Tony Dungy is good for the game. He brings a level of integrity and values that helps counter-balance the presence of complete sh*t-bags like Bill Bellichik.

That said, I have no problem with Rex being the proverbial foil to Tony Dungy.

If Dungy would like Rex to stop saying "****" then Dungy should get himself a job as a head coach, build a team... and come play vs. Rex's Jets. If Dungy wins 9 times out of 10, then maybe... MAYBE... there might be something to the assertion that saying "****" 10 times on HBO in an adult program that airs at 10 PM is detrimental to building a winning football team.

If Dungy cannot prove his assertion to be more than mere theory handed down from his holier than thou soap box, then I have to believe that Rex Ryan is probably, excuse me DEFINITELY, best served acting like HIMSELF.

If there is one thing I have learned about Generation X and Y in my career as a branding professional... it is that both demographics have a very keen awareness of authenticity. If for one second those players felt that Rex wasn't being himself, he would lose them.

Need proof of this? See: Eric Mangini

Tony Dungy is the single most over-rated mother****er to ever do anything anywhere ever. That he's held on high as some sort of messianic figure is a joke, and just highlights the worst of racial politics in America. F%ck that guy.

He was the first black HC to win a SB. He will forever be a Football hero.

And I dont think it call him overrate honestly. Tampa Bay has him to thank for turning that team around. They had 2 winning seasons in their entire history and with him they had 1 losing season in 7 years. His accomplishments in TB were more impressive than his job in Indy...IMO.

Isnt this the same douche that claims Michael Vick- a convicted Dog torturer and murderer is "rehabilitated" yet he wouldnt touch Rex Ryan because he curses? Is this the NFL or Christian Summer Camp? Tony Dungy needs to shut his yap. "ooh Rex Ryan is foul mouthed, but Mike Vick is okay in my book" stfu!

Unless of course you interrupt Mike Vick at a birthday party. Using the "F" word is way worse than shooting someone with bad manners at a drunkfest birthday party.

Dungy is a nice man.He has suffered awfully from his son's death.

But objectively he had an NFL team in Tampa quit on him during a playoff game. He was gifted a ready-made winner in Indy. And he thought Herman Edwards, a dim-witted fool of man sensible people would not trust with a coffee order, was an actual quality NFL head coach.

Think of that-Dungy thinks Edwards is superior to Rex Ryan.

Words fail me.

It's not like Ryan would be a good hire everywhere...We don't even know for sure whether he's a great hire now.

You serious with this? Everyone wants to play for the New York Jets, just like everyone wanted to be a part of Baltimore's defense two seasons ago when Rex was the DC. If taking the Jets as far as they've been since 1969 with a rookie QB didn't convince you he was the right hire for this team, I don't know what to tell you.

You serious with this? Everyone wants to play for the New York Jets, just like everyone wanted to be a part of Baltimore's defense two seasons ago when Rex was the DC. If taking the Jets as far as they've been since 1969 with a rookie QB didn't convince you he was the right hire for this team, I don't know what to tell you.

Very serious...the Jets needed a face...Rex gave us that...the Jets needed a players coach since we just did the iunno...non-player coach...his dad coached here on our SB winning team...he's from Jersey...he fit here...the Cardinals passed on him 3 years ago because he didn't fit there...the Ravens didn't take him because he didn't fit there long term (they went with the non-player coach persona option in that two option rotation)...the Colts wouldn't want him since they already have a face...

Or in other words...

My post

Your head

Also, last year was more fun-ish than great.

Tony Dungy says he wouldn't hire Rex Ryan

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 16, 2010 12:14 PM ET

Jets coach Rex Ryan showed on the first episode of Hard Knocks that he can drop "F" bombs with the best of them. Tony Dungy would like to remind Ryan that just because the show is on HBO, that doesn't mean he needs to talk like Tony Soprano.

Dungy, who in 13 seasons with the Buccaneers and Colts was one of the most mild-mannered head coaches in NFL history, said on The Dan Patrick Show that he thinks Ryan ought to watch his mouth.

"I'm disappointed with all the profanity," Dungy said. "I think Rex can make his points without all that."

Asked if he would hire a coach who talks the way Ryan does, Dungy answered, "I would not. I personally don't want my players to be around that. I don't want to be around that. . . . It's hard for me to be around that, and if I were in charge, no, I wouldn't hire someone like that. Now, I've been around 'F' bombs, so it's not like it's new. I just don't think that has to be part of your every-minute, everyday vocabulary to get your point across."

Dungy thinks NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell would be wise to give Ryan a call and ask him to think about how he's representing the NFL.

"I would hope that he does," Dungy said of the possibility of Goodell getting involved. "I don't know that he will or not but I hope that he does because I just don't think the league needs that. I don't think our young people need to hear that that's what's done to be successful. Because it doesn't have to be that way."

Between Dungy and his own mother, Ryan may have been sufficiently chastened that he'll watch what he says even if he doesn't hear from Goodell. Or at least save his "F" bombs for when the microphones aren't around.

Yeah. Rather than cursing on HBO, Tony Dungy just goes on there to talk about how he hates gays.

Yeah. Rather than cursing on HBO, Tony Dungy just goes on there to talk about how he hates gays.

I'm just hoping Rex isn't so dead-set on the us-against-the-world meme that he voluntarily takes the bait on 'our young people.' Not that it's an unfair point that somebody really should have told the kid to lay off the ******* dope.

first black coach to win a SB

rex will never be that ;)

I'm not with the guys above saying he 'sucks' or he's a dbag. I like him, I just think he'd pick defensive sissies if he was a GM.

Dungy won his ring fair and square, and I'm glad he won for the reason you stated. I also respect his moral standards. Here in the real world I go to a church he'd be happy to attend (though I disagree with my church peeps often).

But a violent professional sport is like the military. Clean language and being nice is a lot less important than inflicting pain and winning. He chose this occupation, so I think the best approach is to set an example and let the players be who they are.

I don't read those. B)

Oh and it was on the Dan Patrick show that Dungy made those comments, so that blog is at least relevant.

haha, I know..

Just kidding, I have to pull out that 'angry villager' scene from Young Frankenstein every few months

Isnt this the same douche that claims Michael Vick- a convicted Dog torturer and murderer is "rehabilitated" yet he wouldnt touch Rex Ryan because he curses? Is this the NFL or Christian Summer Camp? Tony Dungy needs to shut his yap. "ooh Rex Ryan is foul mouthed, but Mike Vick is okay in my book" stfu!

Not surprised that a guy like Dungy is all about censorship. Just because you are nice does not mean you have respect for things like liberty: the freedom to say what you feel on a show designed for adults (on cable at 10 pm), and the freedom to turn it off if you don't like it. Tony would prefer that the Commish try to cut those freedoms off at the knee. Maybe he isn't such a nice guy at that?

Archived