Tony Dungy Says He Wouldnt Hire Rex Ryan

Vudu

Tony Dungy says he wouldn't hire Rex Ryan

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 16, 2010 12:14 PM ET

Jets coach Rex Ryan showed on the first episode of Hard Knocks that he can drop "F" bombs with the best of them. Tony Dungy would like to remind Ryan that just because the show is on HBO, that doesn't mean he needs to talk like Tony Soprano.

Dungy, who in 13 seasons with the Buccaneers and Colts was one of the most mild-mannered head coaches in NFL history, said on The Dan Patrick Show that he thinks Ryan ought to watch his mouth.

"I'm disappointed with all the profanity," Dungy said. "I think Rex can make his points without all that."

Asked if he would hire a coach who talks the way Ryan does, Dungy answered, "I would not. I personally don't want my players to be around that. I don't want to be around that. . . . It's hard for me to be around that, and if I were in charge, no, I wouldn't hire someone like that. Now, I've been around 'F' bombs, so it's not like it's new. I just don't think that has to be part of your every-minute, everyday vocabulary to get your point across."

Dungy thinks NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell would be wise to give Ryan a call and ask him to think about how he's representing the NFL.

"I would hope that he does," Dungy said of the possibility of Goodell getting involved. "I don't know that he will or not but I hope that he does because I just don't think the league needs that. I don't think our young people need to hear that that's what's done to be successful. Because it doesn't have to be that way."

Between Dungy and his own mother, Ryan may have been sufficiently chastened that he'll watch what he says even if he doesn't hear from Goodell. Or at least save his "F" bombs for when the microphones aren't around.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isnt this the same douche that claims Michael Vick- a convicted Dog torturer and murderer is "rehabilitated" yet he wouldnt touch Rex Ryan because he curses? Is this the NFL or Christian Summer Camp? Tony Dungy needs to shut his yap. "ooh Rex Ryan is foul mouthed, but Mike Vick is okay in my book" stfu!

Tony Dungy says he wouldn't hire Rex Ryan

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 16, 2010 12:14 PM ET

Jets coach Rex Ryan showed on the first episode of Hard Knocks that he can drop "F" bombs with the best of them. Tony Dungy would like to remind Ryan that just because the show is on HBO, that doesn't mean he needs to talk like Tony Soprano.

Dungy, who in 13 seasons with the Buccaneers and Colts was one of the most mild-mannered head coaches in NFL history, said on The Dan Patrick Show that he thinks Ryan ought to watch his mouth.

"I'm disappointed with all the profanity," Dungy said. "I think Rex can make his points without all that."

Asked if he would hire a coach who talks the way Ryan does, Dungy answered, "I would not. I personally don't want my players to be around that. I don't want to be around that. . . . It's hard for me to be around that, and if I were in charge, no, I wouldn't hire someone like that. Now, I've been around 'F' bombs, so it's not like it's new. I just don't think that has to be part of your every-minute, everyday vocabulary to get your point across."

Dungy thinks NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell would be wise to give Ryan a call and ask him to think about how he's representing the NFL.

"I would hope that he does," Dungy said of the possibility of Goodell getting involved. "I don't know that he will or not but I hope that he does because I just don't think the league needs that. I don't think our young people need to hear that that's what's done to be successful. Because it doesn't have to be that way."

Between Dungy and his own mother, Ryan may have been sufficiently chastened that he'll watch what he says even if he doesn't hear from Goodell. Or at least save his "F" bombs for when the microphones aren't around.

all it took was Peyton Manning to make Dungy a champion and the toast of the NFL.

I wouldnt hire Tony Dungy to stock shelves for me at the local supermarket. I wouldnt want him around my employees because he's too much of a passive bitch who needs a superstar to make him seem great instead of a real leader that inspires confidence in his people.

Piss off Dungy.

Isnt this the same douche that claims Michael Vick- a convicted Dog torturer and murderer is "rehabilitated" yet he wouldnt touch Rex Ryan because he curses? Is this the NFL or Christian Summer Camp? Tony Dungy needs to shut his yap. "ooh Rex Ryan is foul mouthed, but Mike Vick is okay in my book" stfu!

Great point DLJ... guess naughty words are worse than killing animals.

maybe if rex was a darker shade it would be ok.

End Thread/

Cursing >>>> Killing Animals.

Those comments would keep me from ever hiring Dungy as a GM.

Coaches, QBs and Kickers can be cutie-pies. To competently play any other position on an NFL team, you have to step out on that field looking to kill somebody. The people with that sort of attitude aren't people I want babysitting my kids, and they're no strangers to the cops, but they're what you need to win in this league. This is especially true for defensive players, and it's probably why the Offense-heavy Colts survived in spite of him.

If you give Dungy a GM job, his defense will give up 40+ points per game.

Those comments would keep me from ever hiring Dungy as a GM.

If you give Dungy a GM job, his defense will give up 40+ points per game.

Good point and I was just thinking...wow Dungy is a complete idiot. How many championships would have have won if he had Rex Ryan as his DC?

Cursing is part of football. Its just part of the colorful language of the game.

My coaches always thought of me as a thoughtful player: "WHAT THE F*** ARE THINKING ABOUT KID?" or "KID, WERE YOU THINKIN' ABOUT PUSSY ON THAT LAST PLAY, CAUSE YOU SURE AS HELL WEREN'T THINKIN' ABOUT F***IN' FOOTBALL!"

They were also constantly paying me backhanded compliments on my smarts: "ARE YOU F***IN' RETARDED?"

Do you guys now realize why 99% of Pats fans can't stand Dungy? The guy thinks he is the NFL's moral compass when in reality he is just a blowhard who comments on things just to voice his "high and mighty" opinion. GFY Dungy!

Archived