Jets News 8-22

flgreen

August 22, 2010 8:56 AM No Comments .Vernon Gholston not offended by staged donnybrook: "I ain't scared of no fight." »

By Manish Mehta

CHARLOTTE, NC - Vernon Gholston maintained that he wasn’t offended by being set him up to fight a couple weeks ago in Cortland. Rex Ryan and defensive coordinator Mike Pettine recently asked offensive lineman Rob Turner to pick a fight in practice with Gholston to light a fire under him. HBO cameras captured their plan on last week’s episode of Hard Knocks. Gholston said he didn’t know about the scheme until he watched the show.

“Fighting? We can do that if necessary,” the former first-round pick said after the Jets 9-3 win over the Panthers last night. “But my job is always to try to become a better football player and try to help this team win…. They saw how I responded. I ain’t scared of no fight.”

Gholston, who is still looking for his first career sack, said the coaches’ ploy was “totally unexpected.”

“I don’t think it’s anything serious,” he said. “I think it’s more so they’re sitting back and they had nothing else to do.”

Gholston has shown encouraging signs in his transition from outside linebacker to defensive end in the Jets’ 3-4 base scheme. He had a team-high four tackles last night.

The former Ohio State standout also confirmed what Ryan revealed on Hard Knocks about his restructured contract. Gholston and his agent approached the Jets to restructure his five-year rookie deal (that included $21 million in guarantees). Although Ryan said on the show that Gholston took a “pay cut,” that isn’t entirely accurate.

Gholston's base salary in 2010 actually increased from $1.9 million to $2.25 million. He also received an additional $4.25 million (signing bonus + workout bonus). Although the Jets will have to fork over $6.5 million this season, the appealing part of the re-worked deal for the team kicks in in 2011 when Gholston’s base salary drops to $550,000. At that point, the Jets can cut ties with the former first-rounder before paying out an additional $2.5 million roster bonus in March 2011. Gholston could conceivably earn $9 million in incentives in 2011. His base salary for 2012 is $650,000.

Gholston said that his decision to restructure his contract was linked to his perception of playing time this season.

“I just thought it was a good thing to do… with the hope of it giving me a better chance of more playing time,” Gholston said. “At the same time, it’s all about winning a Super Bowl, really.”

Gholston said his agent initially approached him about the possibility of re-working his contract.

“He said, ‘With this year coming up, is there anything specifically that you want done?’” Gholston said. “If the possibility of restructuring the deal would give us a better chance… better leverage for me to play more, I’d be up for it.”

“It’s all set up for me this year to get in there and play,” he added. “The future will (be) determined (by) how well I do this year.”

Ryan, who has praised Gholston for a solid training camp, was pleased with his performance last night.

“I thought he did a lot of good things,” Ryan said. “It’s been what we’ve been seeing. So, no surprise.”

Gholston admitted that he’s becoming more comfortable in Ryan’s system as well.

“I don’t remember any glaring mistakes I made,” Gholston said of his play last night. “For the most part, I did well. It’s all about trying to get better…. The biggest thing is trying to have a bigger impact… getting in on the pass rush more. Getting to the quarterback obviously, that’s a big deal. Just getting in there and flying around and make plays.”

For more Jets news, follow Manish Mehta on Twitter at http://Twitter.com/TheJetsStream

Manish Mehta may also be reached at mmehta@nydailynews.com

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2010/08/vernon-gholston-not-offended-b.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nydnrss%2Fblogs%2Fjets+%28Blogs%2FThe+Jet+Stream%29#ixzz0xLDz7Api

Running back Joe McKnight motivated by 'Hard Knocks' to 'change everybody's perception'

Published: Sunday, August 22, 2010, 7:00 AM Updated: Sunday, August 22, 2010, 7:06 AM

Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

Follow Share this story

Story tools

William Perlman/The Star-LedgerJoe McKnight had 11 carries for 28 yards and a 67-yard punt return in the Jets' second preseason game at Carolina.

Share CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Joe McKnight maintains he didn't watch Episode 2 of HBO's "Hard Knocks" last week. But the rookie running back heard enough about his cameo, including from his parents, to know that coach Rex Ryan and his staff had tough words for McKnight.

He used that to motivate him in the Jets' 9-3 preseason win over Carolina Saturday.

"I got a lot of feedback, but I didn't like the feedback I got," McKnight said after the second preseason contest. "So what I wanted to do was come out, get on the attack and change everyone's perception of me."

McKnight addressed one of the knocks on him -- that he doesn't run hard enough between the tackles -- by running with more purpose. He had 11 carries for 28 yards, still only a 2.5-yard per carry average, but he broke off four runs of 5 to 6 yards in two series after halftime.

He also had a 67-yard punt return, which he attributed to "great blocking." Ryan sounded encouraged by his showing this week.

"I was shocked that he never threw up after that long punt return, that's what I told him," Ryan said, making light of McKnight's rough start at rookie mini-camp. "But he did a great job back there, and I thought he hit it up in there better today."

He did have a miscue on a 6-yard run in the third quarter, losing the football on the Jets' 31-yard line to set up Carolina's lone score of the night. Both he and Ryan thought his arm was down, but the referees upheld the fumble ruling after the Jets challenged.

McKnight, who has sought out veteran LaDainian Tomlinson as a mentor, acknowledged he was mad at himself after hearing his coaches' doubts, which also questioned his inconsistency and ability to keep up. The fourth-round pick used that to fuel himself.

"It's tough love, but I take it to heart," McKnight said. "I never want someone, the coaches, to tell me anything like that. I want to show the coaches what I can do. But it was good that he said it, it was very good that he said it, and I appreciate him for saying that."

Jets beat Panthers in ugly gameArticle

BY DARIN GANTT - The (Rock Hill, S.C.) Herald

CHARLOTTE -- The Carolina Panthers may not have a quarterback controversy.

They do, however, have a bunch of offensive players playing poorly, which is enough to create a different kind of drama.

Not that it took much, but Jimmy Clausen seemed to outplay Matt Moore in the second preseason game, a dismal 9-3 loss to the New York Jets at Bank of America Stadium on Saturday night. It's not so much that Clausen's going to replace Moore, it's just that none of the guys who work with the ball did enough to inspire confidence in any spot on the depth chart.

The game itself was a mess in every way, the kind of football that ruined a perfectly beautiful late-summer night.

The Panthers' defense was brilliant, but the lack of offensive progress from what was supposed to be the trustworthy side of the ball was alarming. Moore was playing without a few guys he'd normally find of use (wide receiver Steve Smith, right tackle Jeff Otah, running back Jonathan Stewart) but was able to do nothing with the ball.

Throw in their complete inability to field punts, and it's a good thing the defense showed up.

Moore authored a brutal first half, finishing 6-of-17 passing for 57 yards and an interception. Through two games, he's accounted for just 89 yards on 24 pass attempts, and has a passer rating of 34.9.

Clausen didn't do much better (9-of-22 for 72 yards and a late pick of his own) and coupled with the Baltimore effort boasts a rating of 34.9.

This is the passing game they spent the offseason revamping after last year's Jake Delhomme-led attack ranked 27th in the league.

Moore couldn't even blame the protection for Saturday's slop. After giving up seven sacks last week, the Panthers allowed just one in the first half. The problem this time was dropped passes - some of which were hurried by an aggressive Jets defense.

The first offense gained a total of 67 yards in the first half with two first downs. Amazingly enough, it was the good offense on the field during the meaningful portion of the night.

The only thing that kept it from being uglier than it already was was a stout effort by a defense that was supposed to be the weak link.

The Jets, who pulled their starters after a quarter, gained just 45 yards in the first half on 33 offensive snaps.

Everette Brown had a pair of sacks on Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez in the first quarter, and the Panthers never let New York do much through the air. Cornerbacks Chris Gamble and Captain Munnerlyn and linebacker Jon Beason each got hands on Jets passes in the first half.

Taking away the 15 yards lost on the sacks, the Jets had minus-1 yard through the air in the first half, and Sanchez and Mark Brunell combined for 8-of-17 passes for 14 yards.

The game would have likely been scoreless at the half if not for the exploits of rookie receiver Armanti Edwards, who created a pair of turnovers on punt-return attempts.

The first came when he failed to field a short punt, and it bounced off the leg of teammate Jordan Pugh. The next one he fumbled all on his own. With a pair of short fields, the Jets were able to post only a pair of Nick Folk field goals for a 6-0 halftime lead.

Clausen executed a four-play, 7-yard drive to start the third quarter - culminating with a 41-yard John Kasay field goal - the kind of fireworks the first half lacked. He also led them to three points on his first chance at Baltimore, making him the most prolific passer of a so-far sorry lot.

Read more: http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/08/22/639364/dungy-ryan-a-good-show.html#ixzz0xLF57Lu1

Leon Washington Gives Seahawks' Running Game a Big Boost0

Comments

Say Something »

.8/22/2010 5:00 AM ET By John Hickey

PrintAText Size

John Hickey

NFL Writer

SEATTLE -- It doesn't take a football expert to say that the Seahawks need to improve on their running game.

The fact that Seattle picked up just 75 yards on 18 carries Saturday in a 27-24 loss to the Green Bay Packers spells that out with great eloquence.

However, buried inside the numbers was a nice performance by Leon Washington, the former New York Jets Pro Bowler who came to the Seahawks in a draft-day trade. He didn't play the first week of the preseason, but on Saturday he packed the ball four times for 19 yards.

And while that's not going to set any records, the 11-yard touchdown run Washington got off in the second quarter to pull Seattle into a 14-all tie with the Packers was a nice piece of running through a tough Green Bay defense that still had the first-teamers on the field.

"Leon did a really nice job," Seattle coach Pete Carroll said. "He was pumped up to make a statement. And he made a statement."

Washington wouldn't have been available from the Jets had he not missed half of the 2009 season with a grim broken leg suffered in a game against the Oakland Raiders. It has been a long way back for Washington, and the touchdown provided a certain amount of validation.

"It's a blessing first of all to get back on the field," he said. "(It's taken) a lot of faith, a lot of hard work over the last 10 months. My teammates have been so supportive.

"Right before my touchdown run, (center) Chris Spencer said 'Hey, let's get it in the end zone.' So you have that type of confidence from your O-line, it makes you feel a lot better."

As for his right leg, it stood up to the pounding the Packers gave it.

"Getting the feeling of things and getting back used to football was the key," he said. "You know, getting tackled for the first time."

Tight-knit Gang Green key to Rex's bravado

Jets BlogLast Updated: 9:04 AM, August 22, 2010

Posted: 4:39 AM, August 22, 2010

Comments: 0 | More Print

Mark Cannizzaro

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Will a close team be a suc cessful team?

Jets coach Rex Ryan is counting on it.

With the bull's-eye Ryan has voluntarily placed on his team's chest, the Jets need to be a close team.

The success of their season might depend on it, because the look-at-us bravado the Jets, who defeated the Panthers, 9-3, in their second preseason game of the summer, have displayed as proudly as the decal on the side of their helmets has created a disdain for them around the league.

Beginning with Bill Belichick in New England and permeating throughout the NFL, teams are standing in line waiting to slap the swagger from the Jets.

AP

POOL RUNNINGS: Jets defensive back Brodney Pool delivers a big hit on Panthers receiver Kenny Moore during the second quarter of the Jets' 9-3 victory last night. And when things go bad -- and believe it, they will at some point -- all the Jets will have is each other.

Every Jets fan who has lived through the often-tortured history with this franchise fears that this Jets team has set itself up for a catastrophic fall.

Let's not forget -- despite the great lengths the Jets have gone to make everyone do so -- that the team's best defensive player, Darrelle Revis, is still AWOL as he holds out for a new contract with no end to this dispute in sight.

The bigger you pump yourself up to be, the harder the fall -- and no team, perhaps in NFL history, has pumped itself up more than this Jets team.

These Jets, though, believe they have forged a strong enough bond inside the locker room because of Ryan's uncanny ability to build harmonious chemistry that they will be able to handle any adversity thrown at them.

"I think off the field has been some of our biggest improvements," Mark Sanchez said before last night's game. "On the field, that will speak for itself when the season starts."

When the Jets parted ways with several popular and productive players during the offseason -- running backs Thomas Jones and Leon Washington, guard Alan Faneca and kicker Jay Feely -- worries about whether they messed too much with their team chemistry were warranted.

But Ryan disputes that theory, pointing out that rosters change every year on every team and new chemistry must be achieved.

That's why he has been at his camp-counselor best this summer in an effort to help his players bond during their two-plus weeks at training camp in Cortland.

An example of Ryan's tactics was on display Thursday night when he lifted curfew for the players and told them they could do whatever they wanted to do -- as long as they were doing it with at least one teammate.

"Off the field, I feel like we have grown as friends, as teammates, as family," Sanchez said. "That transcends football. We don't want to be just football players and show up to work. We show up for fun, and show up to have a really good time and hopefully win."

The new talent the Jets brought in so far appears to be of quality character.

Ask any of the players about future Hall of Fame candidates LaDainian Tomlinson or Jason Taylor and you will hear them marvel about how humble they have been. And how they're conducting themselves not as entitles stars but as players making a concerted effort to fit in with their new team.

Receiver Santonio Holmes, a former Super Bowl MVP, rigged it so that he could room with Sanchez in training camp, a clear effort to bond with his new quarterback.

These things would seem to bode well for the Jets.

Ryan likes to point to how resilient his team was last year, becoming the only team in NFL history to qualify for the playoffs despite enduring two three-game losing streaks along the way.

"I think that speaks about the type of players we have, the kind of locker room we have, and how the guys feel about each other," he said. "This is a new year, but I feel this is a close football team."

mcannizzaro@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/defense_carries_jets_to_ugly_Ywd2Qd2L2tRY8j0Gob1jdN?CMP=OTC-rss&FEEDNAME=#ixzz0xLG7i1kE

New York Jets defense again plays well without holdout Darrelle Revis for Rex Ryan vs. Panthers

BY Manish Mehta

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Sunday, August 22nd 2010, 4:00 AM

Related NewsRex offers bold plan to end Revis holdoutClemens resigned to No. 3 QB roleRanking Jets' 15 most indispensable playersIt wasn't Giants Stadium to Broadway JoeRex and Dungy speak 'man-to-man'Folk sinks three FGs, Jets O sputters in win

CHARLOTTE - For the second consecutive week, the Jets first-team defense didn't miss holdout Darrelle Revis, flying all over the field for three series Saturday night. Jim Leonhard's interception and sack of Panthers' quarterback Matt Moore highlighted a solid outing by Rex Ryan's defensive starters.

The Jets' second team, embarrassed by the Giants in the preseason opener, was much improved this time around. In all, the Jets held the Panthers to just two first downs and 67 total yards in the first half.

SPECIAL PLAYS

Mike Westhoff's special teams unit forced three fumbles on punts, including a pair in the first half. Recoveries by Lance Laury and David Clowney gave the offense great field position early, but Mark Sanchez & Co. managed only six points. Chauncey Washington's hit forced the third fumble late in the third quarter.

ROUGH McKNIGHT

Joe McKnight gained 28 yards on 11 carries, but flashed some of the toughness the coaches were hoping to see. The rookie running back said he took some of Ryan's criticism of being a more aggressive runner between the tackles to heart. He also had a 67-yard punt return.

LT SHOWS BURST

LaDainian Tomlinson was the only offensive player who decided to show up in the first half. The veteran running back gained 26 yards on three carries, showing the type of burst that critics believed he lost a few years ago. ... Kicker Nick Folk was 3-for-3, including a 49-yarder. ... Shonn Greene had six carries for 10 yards. ... The Jets completed four first-half passes for negative yardage.

MANGOLD STARTS

All Pro center Nick Mangold started after sitting out the preseason opener with a head injury. ... DE Ropati Pitoitua blew out his Achilles and is out for the year, Ryan said. . . . S Donovan Warren (head), LB Brashton Satele (ankle) and LB Joshua Mauga (concussion) were inactive. Perennial Pro Bowl WR Steve Smith, who suffered a broken arm in the offseason, didn't play for the Panthers. ... The Jets return to Florham Park for a pair of open practices Monday and Tuesday. Gates open at 10 a.m. for the 11:50 practices.

Final thoughts on Jets 9, Panthers 3

August, 22, 2010 Aug 222:13AM ETEmail Print Comments By Rich CiminiThoughts and observations on an ugly pre-season game:

Really bad offense. Yeah, it was dreadful, but this is no time to panic. It was a short week and the Jets did very little in the way of game planning for the Carolina Panthers -- at least that was the buzz in the locker room. So we'll give them the benefit of the doubt, for now. One more stinker, though, and we will have an issue.

Sanchez growing pains. Mark Sanchez almost threw an interception on the Jets' first possession; that would've been two weeks in a row. That is troubling. Sanchez was out of sync. His ball placement on screen passes was off the mark, and he admitted he should've done a better job of unloading the ball instead of taking those two sacks. This was a step back, but don't put too much emphasis on one bad pre-season performance.

Opportunistic special teams. A week ago, the Jets blocked a punt. This week, the special teams produced three takeaways, almost unheard of. Were they great plays by the Jets' coverage units or lousy jobs by the Panthers' return specialists? Probably more of the latter, but the Jets can be confident in knowing their special teams have big-play potential.

In the Nick of Time. PK Nick Folk all but locked up the kicking job, making field goals of 43, 36 and 49 yards. He was 3-for-3. Folk is proving that last season's train wreck with the Dallas Cowboys was injury-related (a surgically repaired hip) and not due to an erosion of his Pro Bowl skills.

Can't blame the defense. Ryan praised his defense, especially his backups -- the same group that got roughed up last week against the New York Giants. Two of last week's goats, Dwight Lowery and Drew Coleman, came back with strong performances. Lowery made two pass break-ups and Coleman made the game-saving interceptions. Ryan said he challenged the No. 2 group. Consider the challenge met.

VG is OK. Strange, but true: Vernon Gholson posted a team-high five tackles, including two behind the line of scrimmage. Give him credit; he was aggressive at the point of attack, shed his blocks well and made a couple of hustle plays. They will need Gholston to contribute on the D-line now that Ropati Pitoitua (Achilles' tendon) is out for the season.

Praise for Washington. Even though he lost a fumble inside the Panthers' 10, RB Chauncey Washington (eight carries for 19 yards) received praise from Ryan. Washington, resembling a poor man's Shonn Greene on a couple of runs, showed power and some burst. He's a bubble player who now has to be considered a legitimate candidate.

Busy leg. P Steve Weatherford may need a couple of days off. He punted 11 times for 481 yards. The Panthers punted nine times for 458 yards. More than 900 yards in punting. Oh, brother.

Crown the left guard. Let's face it, the so-called battle between Matt Slauson and rookie Vladimir Ducasse is over. For the second straight game, Slauson took all the first-team reps. Ducasse is struggling at left guard, a new position. Slauson got beat once on a pass rush, according to Ryan, but the job belongs to him.

A backup QB controversy? Mark Brunell's numbers after two games -- 4-for-10, 16 yards. Face it, Kellen Clemens has outplayed Brunell, but Ryan appears set on Brunell as his No. 2 QB. Does that make you feel safe and protected? Didn't think so.

“I don’t think it’s anything serious,” he (Gholston) said (about the staged fight). “I think it’s more so they’re sitting back and they had nothing else to do.”

So he thinks they did it because they were bored?

Everyone else knows they did it because he is a stiff. In a fight, everything is instinctive... Rex wanted to get an instinctive reaction out of Gholston, because when he plays football he takes a mental snapshot on every play making him one step too late... which is the opposite of being instinctive...

I thought it was obvious why they did it.

Aug 221:20PM ETEmail Print Comments By Rich CiminiA day-after look at Saturday night’s pre-season game, a 9-3 win over the Carolina Panthers:

THUMB’S UP

PK Nick Folk. It might be time to remove the adjectives “erratic” and “beleaguered” from all Folk references. Distancing himself from last season’s debacle in Dallas, and a shaky spring with the New York Jets, Folk nailed all three field goals – 43, 36 and 49 yards. That makes him 6-for-7 in the preseason, alleviating a potentially major headache.

OLB Vernon Gholston. Maybe Rex Ryan’s colorful description in “Hard Knocks” of Gholston’s development is on the money. (I’d like to repeat Ryan’s words, but … um, this is a Disney-owned company … and, well, you understand.) The point is, the former No. 1 bust is showing signs of life. He recorded a team-high five tackles (two behind the line), displaying improvement in his ability to shed blocks.

S Jim Leonhard. Without CB Darrelle Revis, Leonhard is the rock in the secondary, the constant amid upheaval. And he’s a playmaker, too. He made an interception and a sack, leading an overall strong effort by the defense. Where would they be without him?

THUMB’S DOWN

QB Mark Sanchez. After a promising opener, Sanchez took a small step backward, leading the offense to only 33 total yards in four possessions. He missed long (an overthrow to Braylon Edwards) and he missed short (shaky ball placement on some screen passes). Afterward, Sanchez kept things in perspective, refusing to beat himself up for one bad quarter. That shows some maturity.

LT D’Brickashaw Ferguson. He doesn’t allow many sacks (hence, the six-year, $60 million contract extension), so you take notice when he gets beat. In the first quarter, he was victimized on an inside move by DE Everette Brown, resulting in an eight-yard loss. At first, it appeared as if Ferguson was expecting inside help from inexperienced LG Matt Slauson, but he took responsibility for the sack, saying he used “poor technique.”

QB Mark Brunell. He was thrown into a tough spot – second-team offense vs. first-team defense – but he did nothing in four series (no first downs) to make anybody feel great about the No. 2 job. At 39, Brunell doesn’t move in the pocket like he used to, limiting his effectiveness. It would be nice to see him for a few plays with the first unit, but it doesn’t look like that’s going to happen in the preseason.

Archived