A-Rod and Jeter in major decline?

Morrissey

http://nomaas.org/2010/08/alex-derek-meet-cliff/

Alex, Derek meet Cliff

Friday, August 27, 2010 at 12:14 am by SJK

Featured

They are cases we've highlighted throughout the year. Yet, as we enter the last full month of the season, and with no significant improvements evident, we can say that 2010 was a year when two of baseball's biggest superstars fell off a cliff.

Alex Rodriguez

Current line: .265/.333/.485 -- (Career: .303/.387/.571)

- Career lows in OPS (.818), OBP (.333), SLG (.485), wOBA (.351)

- Lowest ISO (.222) since 1997

- Lowest BB% (9.3%) since 1999

- Lowest LD% (14.6%), Highest GB% (45.4%), Lowest HR per FB ratio (14.7%) since origin of these stats (2002)

- Lowest productivity versus a fastball (0.97 runs above average per 100 fastballs thrown) since origin of this stat (2002)

Derek Jeter

Current line: .275 /.338/.388 -- (Career: .315/.385/.455)

- Career lows in OPS (.727), OBP (.338), SLG (.388), wOBA (.326)

- Lowest LD% (17.1%), Highest GB% (65.8%) since origin of these stats (2002)

- Swinging at a career high of pitches outside the strike zone (28.5%)

- Swinging at a career low of pitches inside the strike zone (67.8%)

- Jeter's SLG is only .008 higher than Brett Gardner's SLG

- Jeter has a lower OPS+ (100) and wOBA (.326) than the much-maligned Curtis Granderson (107 OPS+, .335 wOBA)

While it would be heresy to bump Jeter down in the order, he really shouldn't be leading off. Having an OBP of .338 and leading the AL in plate appearances (583) is not a good combination.

Reason for real concern

Time will tell if 2010 is the beginning of a sustained decline for both Alex and Derek. Hopefully, they will bounce back next season. However, age and injury (A-Rod especially) are not on their side. There is reason for real concern, and both players have very unique contract situations.

cliff3.gif

In case you were wondering. A-Rod has 7 more years left on his contract, here is what he will be making each year.

2011: $31 million (Age 36)

2012: $29 million (Age 37)

2013: $28 million (Age 38)

2014: $25 million (Age 39)

2015: $21 million (Age 40)

2016: $20 million (Age 41)

2017: $20 million (Age 42)

The combination of dollars are age makes this one of the worst contracts EVER.

Yankees better not be stupid again and give Derek Jeter, who's already been handsomely awarded for what he's done for this team, a ridiculous contract. If the Yankees were to let him walk, what would he get in free agency? 2 years, $24 million, $12 million per year? There is no way the Yankees should be forced into giving Jeter a 4-5 year contract.

ARod's missed 78 games in the last 3 years; is that right? And he's only a 30 HR guy now? He's going to need to hit that juice and HGH to get back on top once the pressure of under-performing that huge contract starts getting to him. :rolleyes:

Jeter's just been terrible on the road. He'll probably bounce back.

ARod's got years left in him. It's just what NY sports does to things...hell, Jeter could probably pull off a really good year or two in the next 5 if he feels like it.

It depends on what you mean.

They are 36 and 35.

Look at their peers in other eras. They start to decline around the 34-36 age range. Of course, they can have some good years, but you are likely seeing what they are going to be like for the remainder of their careers.

A guy like Jeter has played 148 or more games in 14 of 15 seasons. Plus, almost another full season of playoffs on top that. He has a lot of mileage on that body. Alex is at 15 seasons with no fewer then 124 games (assuming he plays at least 12 more games). Like Jeter, that is a lot of mileage.

Given the current testing laws, we have likely seen the last of their great seasons.

1. They're better than their peers. Wade Boggs threw up a .922 and .834 OPS at 36 and 37. We all saw Bonds. Steroids or not, that was a great f*cking player. Henderson threw up a .889 OPS in Shea at 40. Clemens was pitching well into his 40s...Ryan.....This is the class of player these guys are in. Hall of Famers are beasts, steroids or not.

2. The Yankees are heavily invested in their health. Hell...baseball has alot invested in them.

3. Jeter is an official professional. ARod is working on doing it in NY.

1. They're better than their peers. Wade Boggs threw up a .922 and .834 OPS at 36 and 37. We all saw Bonds. Steroids or not, that was a great f*cking player. Henderson threw up a .889 OPS in Shea at 40. Clemens was pitching well into his 40s...Ryan.....This is the class of player these guys are in. Hall of Famers are beasts, steroids or not.

2. The Yankees are heavily invested in their health. Hell...baseball has alot invested in them.

3. Jeter is an official professional. ARod is working on doing it in NY.

And that was his high from age 36 to 44.

I am not saying they are not going to be productive or have some good years, but they are not getting younger.

And that was his high from age 36 to 44.

I am not saying they are not going to be productive or have some good years, but they are not getting younger.

"No sh*t" comes to mind.

Also, Rickey from 36-41 stole 42 bases a year and had a .397 OBP. When you're great you are great.

"No sh*t" comes to mind.

Also, Rickey from 36-41 stole 42 bases a year and had a .397 OBP. When you're great you are great.

All I am saying is I was in my mid-20s when they started playing and now sit in my 40s. :wheelchair:

I think the Yankee Nation is mistaken if they think the .330+ and 20 odd homeruns for Jeter and .300+ and 45+ plus A-bombs for A-Rod are things of the past.

All I am saying is I was in my mid-20s when they started playing and now sit in my 40s. :wheelchair:

I think the Yankee Nation is mistaken if they think the .330+ and 20 odd homeruns for Jeter and .300+ and 45+ plus A-bombs for A-Rod are things of the past.

:lol:

Anyway, I expect a .300+ 45+ year from ARod within the next 7 years.

Jeter...I'm thinking more around .300/.360/.440 if he even wants to keep playing.

You really, really overrate age. Possibly because this is a football message board age is such an issue...football players tend to decline so suddenly after a certain point...but baseball's a completely different sport...Jeter JUST hit .334 last year....ARod's OPS this year is .140 off of his career average...My guess is that they can pull off better years.

I was 8 when Jeter won ROY. Pretty much his whole career I've been a true hater...now that it's closer to the end of an era than not it'll just be weird. The guy kicks a$$.

Jeter...I'm thinking more around .300/.360/.440 if he even wants to keep playing.

You really, really overrate age. Possibly because this is a football message board age is such an issue...football players tend to decline so suddenly after a certain point...but baseball's a completely different sport...Jeter JUST hit .334 last year....ARod's OPS this year is .140 off of his career average...My guess is that they can pull off better years.

I was 8 when Jeter won ROY. Pretty much his whole career I've been a true hater...now that it's closer to the end of an era than not it'll just be weird. The guy kicks a$$.

No....I don't. I am living it. ;)

Nothing more disconcerting then getting up from the couch and feeling like you just played a game of football.

LOL...I was 8 when Mickey Mantle won the Triple Crown.

Archived