Wildcat

Maxman

Will we see any wildcat from the Jets this year? They haven't in the preseason, I am sure that is so they don't tip their hand. But what do you think will the Jets run it?

Pats fan returning (after my annual offseason hiatus).

I've never been particularly impressed with the Jets attempts at the Wildcat. Miami has certainly run it best, but even they have not had as much success with it recently. For all the "options" it had, realistically it is a very limited power running setup. For most teams, one of the two options (either run or pass) is just not a viable threat depending on the personnel. While Tomlinson (LT is a linebacker) has a decent arm (for a RB) outside of the red zone his throwing is not really a legitimate threat. How many of his passes have gone more than 10 yards or so through the air?

I've never been particularly impressed with the Jets attempts at the Wildcat. Miami has certainly run it best, but even they have not had as much success with it recently. For all the "options" it had, realistically it is a very limited power running setup. For most teams, one of the two options (either run or pass) is just not a viable threat depending on the personnel. While Tomlinson (LT is a linebacker) has a decent arm (for a RB) outside of the red zone his throwing is not really a legitimate threat. How many of his passes have gone more than 10 yards or so through the air?

I agree with you to an extent... but Brad Smith had success against the Bengals (week 17) and the Colts (playoffs). Granted, the Bengals were far from motivated in week 17, but you still have to like what you saw in that game. In Indy, he threw for a huge gain. It was underthrown, but it did the trick. So, I'm ok seeing it here and there...

I agree with you to an extent... but Brad Smith had success against the Bengals (week 17) and the Colts (playoffs). Granted, the Bengals were far from motivated in week 17, but you still have to like what you saw in that game. In Indy, he threw for a huge gain. It was underthrown, but it did the trick. So, I'm ok seeing it here and there...

My problem with Brad Smith is that he isn't a threat between the tackles like a Ronnie Brown. He also doesn't have much in the way of moves to the outside. When I see him play, I don't see the quick change of direction that I want to see in a scat back or a guy like a Wes Welker. Unless Smith has decent blocking or a good angle to just run away from a guy, I don't see him making defenders miss. I think you'd be better off with LT handling the ball in the Wildcat, simply because he is the better runner.

Now if you were instead trying to create some variant that looked like a throw first option spread, or something where it was just a bootleg and you wanted your ball handler to think pass first if it is an easy completion, and run second if the lane is open, then sure, Brad Smith all the way. He is certainly built for that. Also of course if you want you threaten down the field while still maintaining the run possibility.

Ultimately though Smith and Tomlinson are very different players. While both may come on the field for non-standard packages, ultimately you're doing very different things with them. The question is do you want a power running Wildcat, or a trick play deep option?

Edit to add: The Bengals were intentionally vanilla, so I don't think you can take too much from that performance. (I do think this was a mistake on their part, much like I think the Colts constantly were making a mistake resting starters at the end of seasons for entire games) The Colts play was clean though (however I have particular disdain for the Tampa 2, and I would never run that as a base defense for unrelated reasons).

Ultimately though Smith and Tomlinson are very different players. While both may come on the field for non-standard packages, ultimately you're doing very different things with them. The question is do you want a power running Wildcat, or a trick play deep option?

You say that like it is a bad thing. Basically, they could do very different things without changing personnel. I also think you underrate Brad Smith. He's a much better runner than you are giving him credit. The guy has never had a ton of carries, but he always has had a great ypc, except for 2007. Not conicidentally that's the one year he was used as an actual WR and the year the OL blew.

You say that like it is a bad thing. Basically, they could do very different things without changing personnel. I also think you underrate Brad Smith. He's a much better runner than you are giving him credit. The guy has never had a ton of carries, but he always has had a great ypc, except for 2007. Not conicidentally that's the one year he was used as an actual WR and the year the OL blew.

I'm not saying the fact that they are different is bad. I am saying that in the few times I've seen the Jets try Wildcat-esque plays, they never seemed to be particularly memorable. Sure there is an occasional 9 or 12 yard gain, but mostly a lot of running laterally without advancing the ball when Smith is in. That particular brand of "trick" play from the Jets has just not impressed me.

That being said, it is entirely possible that I am underrating Brad Smith. I certainly haven't seen as many Jets games as you have. I do agree that for the plays to be successful, he needs to be viewed by defenses as a legitimate WR threat when he comes on the field, otherwise every time they see him leave the sideline, they are all on the lookout for trick plays.

I'm not saying the fact that they are different is bad. I am saying that in the few times I've seen the Jets try Wildcat-esque plays, they never seemed to be particularly memorable. Sure there is an occasional 9 or 12 yard gain, but mostly a lot of running laterally without advancing the ball when Smith is in. That particular brand of "trick" play from the Jets has just not impressed me.

That being said, it is entirely possible that I am underrating Brad Smith. I certainly haven't seen as many Jets games as you have. I do agree that for the plays to be successful, he needs to be viewed by defenses as a legitimate WR threat when he comes on the field, otherwise every time they see him leave the sideline, they are all on the lookout for trick plays.

Last year Brad Smith had 207 yards rushing on 18 carries. 11.5 ypc. Career he has 468 on 60 for 7.8 ypc with 1 TD. IIRC he never took a straight handoff, so that was all wildcat. True a lot of the came against the Bengals, but it worked and vanilla as they may have been, they played their starters. I think he is viewed as a legit WR after all this time. He's not a particularly good one, but he's been playing tons of snaps at WR for the past 4 seasons. I checked, he has 60 career receptions - he's no Jerry Rice, but he can play WR.

the jets don't run the wildcat, and they were using brad smith in various direct snap packages prior to the WC showing up and raping your pats*

be gone

One thing most of you are forgetting is that Smith wasnt the guy running the Wildcat when Leon was healthy. Leon was taking the direct snaps.

Dont know if Smiths success has changed that philosophy and he'll handle it over LT but you got to think thats the case. I havent heard a thing about LT taking direct snaps in practice.

Last year Brad Smith had 207 yards rushing on 18 carries. 11.5 ypc. Career he has 468 on 60 for 7.8 ypc with 1 TD. IIRC he never took a straight handoff, so that was all wildcat. True a lot of the came against the Bengals, but it worked and vanilla as they may have been, they played their starters. I think he is viewed as a legit WR after all this time. He's not a particularly good one, but he's been playing tons of snaps at WR for the past 4 seasons. I checked, he has 60 career receptions - he's no Jerry Rice, but he can play WR.

This.

The Jets will definitely be running some version of the Wildcat, and probably a couple versions of it. The fact that Smith and LT are both threats to throw the ball only helps. Wouldn't be surprised to see both players on the field for the gimmick, so the defense doesn't know who's getting the snap until they line up.

I'd love to see Sanchez get so good that they don't want to take snaps away from him, but I don't see that happening this year.

Archived