Taylor suited to step in for Pace

Kentucky Jet

Taylor suited to step in for Pace with Jets

By MARK CANNIZZARO

Last Updated: 8:42 AM, August 29, 2010

Posted: 4:05 AM, August 29, 2010

Comments: 0 More Print The moment the Jets lost linebacker Calvin Pace to a right foot injury in Friday night’s game against the Redskins, the focus shifted to Jason Taylor. In turn, the chip on Taylor’s shoulder grew larger.

For Taylor, who was signed in the offseason to be a situational pass rusher, it means a lot more playing time than he was probably expecting.

Taylor, the NFL’s active leader with 1271⁄2 career sacks, welcomes the added action. Despite some people’s impression that Taylor, who’ll be 36 on Tuesday, doesn’t have it any more, he believes he’ll adapt just fine to more playing time while Pace is out.

“I wasn’t going around telling everybody I was a situation guy,” Taylor said, referring to his expected role. “I want to play. Obviously, it was very unfortunate [what happened] to Calvin. It’s my job to step up and help. Do I think I can do it? Definitely, I do.

“I’ve always had that kind of chip on my shoulder throughout my career. People always said I couldn’t do things. They said I couldn’t play defensive end at 240 [pounds] and I’ve been going on 14 years now. So I’ve got my little box of motivation that I have in the back of my head, and that won’t change regardless of the situation. It’s incumbent on me now to go out and help this team any way I can.”

The Jets hope they cope without Pace this time as well as they did last year, when he missed the first four games of the season while serving a suspension for violating the NFL’s substance abuse policy. The Jets went 3-1 in Pace’s absence as Vernon Gholston started in his place.

Taylor said he relishes the chance to play more.

“As a player, you want to play,” Taylor said. “Whatever the case is, whatever the team needs you to do, you go do. Does it take a toll on you? Sure, it takes a little bit of a toll. It’s a very physical game. But you can take care of yourself throughout the week and have plenty of gas in the tank come Sunday. I’ve been doing it for a long time. It won’t be my first rodeo.”

Rex Ryan after the game Friday said he expected Pace to be out “a few weeks,” meaning he’s almost certainly not going to play in the Sept. 13 opener against the Ravens.

Complicating the loss of Pace, the team’s best pass rusher with eight sacks in 12 games last year, is the fact the Jets are still without their best cornerback, Darrelle Revis — their most important defensive player.

Revis remains AWOL in a contract holdout and there are no indications the sides are close.

Depending on how long Pace will be out (the Jets say they’ll know more today), it’s possible they’ll reach out to former Patriots and Ravens linebacker Adalius Thomas, a free agent.

* Mark Sanchez hasn’t been the only culprit in the struggles of the offense. The offensive line has had issues in the last two games, prompting Ryan to call out the pass protection on the edges as a problem. That means left tackle D’Brickashaw Ferguson and right tackle Damien Woody.

Ferguson gave up a sack last week and on Friday night had two holding penalties. At the up-for-grabs left guard spot, last week Matt Slauson missed a block that almost got Sanchez hurt, and on Friday, rookie Vladimir Ducasse missed a block that got Sanchez thrown to the ground and shaken up in the third quarter.

* Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall on the interception he made off Sanchez in the second quarter: “It was a zone coverage. I was able to read the quarterback’s eyes. He threw the out route and I was able to jump in front of the tight end.”

Asked if the interception came because of Sanchez’s lack of experience, Hall said: “No, not at all. It’s just the way our defense is built. It’s designed to give us an opportunity to make plays.

“We still have a lot to do to live up to those expectations,” Hall added when asked if the Redskins can be a top defense. “Day-by-day we are going to keep fighting to be considered a top defense like the Jets, Ravens and Pittsburgh.”

mark.cannizzaro@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/jason_perfectly_suited_to_step_in_ROgCxMBv79GT7au4IlOFUJ?CMP=OTC-rss&FEEDNAME=#ixzz0y05Aks4S

For those STILL wondering why we dumped Feely (seriously, wtf is wrong with you people), this is why. As much as I like Jamaal Westerman, its nice to have another pass-rusher we can slip in there. I may hate Jason Taylor as a person and am probably going to be harder on him than other players if he fails, but we're going to need him in a big way come September 13th.

Before Pace got hurt Taylor was a situational Pass Rusher.

You know what taylor is now ? A situational Pass Rusher

Anyone who thinks a 36 year old Defensive end is now going to step into a LB position is crazy. Westerman will get the Nod and Taylor will be the same as he was when signed.

Funny thing whenever Westerman plays he seems to make plays and get in the QB's face Im not sure why he has not seen more Playing time. maybe its due to the salaries in front of him because I think he can replace BT quite easily.

If JT steps up and fills in nicely for CP will JETS fans forgive him?

Only way I'll forget is if he helps us win a championship. And after that I'll still make fun of him. I'll just throw in a "but he did help us win a championship" at the end of my sentence.

If JT steps up and fills in nicely for CP will JETS fans forgive him?

He's going to replace Pennington?

until he retires to the HOF as a d olpin...then we'll hate im again... unless he knocks out tom brady ofcourse

Be careful what you wish for. I remember when Mo Lewis knocked out Bledsoe. That didn't work out so well.

Before Pace got hurt Taylor was a situational Pass Rusher.

You know what taylor is now ? A situational Pass Rusher

Anyone who thinks a 36 year old Defensive end is now going to step into a LB position is crazy. Westerman will get the Nod and Taylor will be the same as he was when signed.

Funny thing whenever Westerman plays he seems to make plays and get in the QB's face Im not sure why he has not seen more Playing time. maybe its due to the salaries in front of him because I think he can replace BT quite easily.

Funny, I'm pretty sure Rex said Jason Taylor is taking Pace's place in the line. So its really not "crazy" for anyone to think Rex will choose a former DPOY over an unproven Westerman because it came from his mouth.

And I hate Calvin Pace for making me watch more Jason Taylor than I already had to.

Agreed. But at the same time Rex has shown he knows how to run a good defense so i'll give him the benefit of the doubt. If a piece is not working I don't think they'll be stumped in how to fix it. If JT gets exposed constantly i'm sure Westerman will get a shot.

True. When Gholston showed absolutely nothing at OLB when Pace went down, not only did our D thrive, but Westerman jumped Gholston on the depth chart once Pace came back.

I think a big reason Taylor is starting over Westerman initially is that the Jets like Westerman as a special teamer and a guy off the bench. The biggest thing we'll miss with Pace out is his pass-rushing, and Taylor is supposed to still be a solid pass-rusher. We'll see.

Archived