We're going to win on Monday and we're going to win the SB!

Falcon63

This is where LT is very helpful. At least in those panic situations, he has a guy who can make the first down out of nothing.

He'll help while he's here but it scares me that is how he'll develop. What the hell do I know, I'm not in Nacho's head, for all I know he's looking at every receiver. But watching him it seems like he stares down his 1st read for a solid 4 second, panic's, and tries to check down. I'm purely speculating, and it'll show on the field.. For now though, nothing in the pre-season or last year proves to me he'll have a better year.

He'll help while he's here but it scares me that is how he'll develop. What the hell do I know, I'm not in Nacho's head, for all I know he's looking at every receiver. But watching him it seems like he stares down his 1st read for a solid 4 second, panic's, and tries to check down. I'm purely speculating, and it'll show on the field.. For now though, nothing in the pre-season or last year proves to me he'll have a better year.

Yeah, he ESPECIALLY did that when we first got Braylon Edwards. Its like he got a new toy and wanted to play with it and ONLY it. Its hard not to get fixated on your biggest targets, I suppose.

In case you missed it, the NFL revolves around the QB position.

If Sanchez turns in another mediocre to poor season, the Jets will be a .500 football team.

He was the 28th ranked QB last year, the Jets passing offense was ranked 31st and Sanchez was dead last in 3rd down rating.

More concerning to Jets fans should be he continues to make the same dumb mistakes this year (locking on to receivers, throwing into double coverage, not stepping up in the pocket, etc.) that killed him last year.

Agsin, no matter how much talent the Jets have, they will only go as far as Sanchez takes them.

This post is 100% accurate.

All the talent this team has is completely wasted if Sanchez doesn't step up.

I think what both of you guys are saying is the truth. If Sanchez throws for more TD's than picks and doesn't turn the ball over (fumble, mishandling snap) as often as he did last year that's a step in the right direction. The other step for me is to finally, FINALLY go through his reads. I'm afraid he's getting a case of the Leinarts "Oh 1st progression is covered, CHECK DOWN OH MY GOD CHECK DOWN NOW".

I think he has the tools physically, but he may lack the most important one.

LT is very helpful at this, but I think it's going to be a while before you can expect him to go through 3+ reads before going to his checkdown. Not many QB's in the NFL can. It takes years to progressively make reads on both your receivers and the D throughout the entire field. Personally I'd be happy if he went out with the mentality that if his first option is covered AND his checkdown is covered, then throw the damn ball away!

LT is very helpful at this, but I think it's going to be a while before you can expect him to go through 3+ reads before going to his checkdown. Not many QB's in the NFL can. It takes years to progressively make reads on both your receivers and the D throughout the entire field. Personally I'd be happy if he went out with the mentality that if his first option is covered AND his checkdown is covered, then throw the damn ball away!

You're absolutely right that it takes years to develop. But for me I don't want it to be a habit. This season will be writing a big chapter in the book of Sanchez. I think the next 2 years really, if you don't see progression in either year I'm afraid there isn't much to hold out hope for in years 4-5.

Anyways this thread is about us winning the SB this year and I echo the sentiments that many have already. If Sanchez replicates what he did last year we're not going to the SB. If he "steps up" and my definition of that is him having more TD's than picks and somewhere in the neighborhood of 2800 yards.

I agree that Sanchez will be a key, but I don't think you can even dream of specific numbers he needs to approach for success. How much he will have to do will depend enormously on the run game and D. As long as he makes some key plays each game and limits his mistakes it may be enough. Especially if we don't run into the Colts. Having a good D and running game lowers the scoring and passing yards of both teams because you can play it closer to the vest and it eats clock.

Boozer/89x,

In HS I played tackle (poorly). I never paid attention to QB. I've always assumed that checkdown options are in plays even at this level. Is it really that hard to do?

Well, I never played farm league baseball so I don't know how qualified I am to discuss pro sports haha. Going through an entire progression from option 1 to option 4 or 5 and making a smart sensible decision in a matter of 4 seconds when players are running at NFL speed is extremely hard to do. Peyton Manning, Brees, Brady, and maybe a couple others are really the only guys that can do it at a high level. I'm not saying Sanchez won't even be able to do it, just that it takes alot of time to master being a QB at the NFL level.

Archived