NFL Films' Greg Cosell tears Sanchez up on 1050

T0mShane

Nope. But this ain't Sanchez's rookie year.

By the end of his first season playing he was considered better than a four time pro-bowler by most, but not all. And by the end of his second year playing NOBODY doubted he was the teams franchise QB for the long term.

What I'm saying is in Brady's second year (midway through) he was nothing more than a 6th round draft pick nobody believed in filling in for the injured starter. Obviously by the end of that year most our your fanbase got it, however I know a lot of people that still wanted Bledsoe back. There was a lot of conflict there and the Pats were just the lucky team built on defense.

Stop making it sound like the 3% of our fan base that annointed Sanchez HOF speaks for everybody. And who cares if they did, it was exciting to see him play so well during that short stretch. Fans overreact. Ah well.

Point is it's his second year and to annoint the kid anything good or bad is a crapshoot, maybe with some merit, but a crapshoot none the less. I'll hold my opinion until the end of next year. However he's been frustrating to watch lately, as most second year players are.

Mind you Brady's second year OF PLAY they went 9-7 and missed the playoffs.

Stop making it sound like the 3% of our fan base that annointed Sanchez HOF speaks for everybody.

Anyone citing Brady or Elway as an equal to Sanchez or even more so saying Sanchez compares better than them is anointing Sanchez to the HOF.

Mind you Brady's second year OF PLAY they went 9-7 and missed the playoffs.

Patriots missed the playoffs. Brady threw twice as many TDs as Ints that year. Brady was playing pretty decent. Sanchez isn't.

And BTW I am not saying to cut Sanchez. But I haven't seen anything from him to make me think he is better than Chad Henne.

Anyone citing Brady or Elway as an equal to Sanchez or even more so saying Sanchez compares better than them is anointing Sanchez to the HOF.

And BTW I am not saying to cut Sanchez. But I haven't seen anything from him to make me think he is better than Chad Henne.

Fair enough. I can't disagree with you too much then. However there's a middle ground here somewhere. Comparing him to Henne is just as unfair as comparing him to a Brady or Elway. The kid brought his team to the AFC Championship his rookie year, had his team in the lead at the half. Mind you didn't Bledsoe have to come in and finish that first one for an injured Brady. I think that's got to count for something. If nothing else, potential. Maybe a few steps ahead of a Chad Henne I'd say. TD/INT he goes 8-0 to start his second year then hits a rough patch. I believe the skys still the limit but we'll see. As a fan you obviously have to hope for the best.

The kid brought his team to the AFC Championship his rookie year.

See that's where we differ. I don't think the kid brought the team to the AFCCG. I think the team took the kid to the AFCCG. He was the weak link on the team last year. And is again this year.

If you swap Henne for Sanchez. I don't see the Dolphins having a better record or the Jets having a worse record. The Jets have a better team around Sanchez than the Dolphins have around Henne.

On OTOH, Bledsoe took the Patriots 5-13 in 2000 and 2001. Brady steps in team goes 14-3, only thing changes is Brady instead of Bledsoe. Can't say Brady didn't have a big part in the teams turnaround and that the team took Brady to the SB. I am not saying that Brady won all those games for the team. But he wasn't the weak link on the team, either.

If you could upgrade ONE position on the Jets, what position would that be?

See that's where we differ. I don't think the kid brought the team to the AFCCG. I think the team took the kid to the AFCCG. He was the weak link on the team last year. And is again this year.

If you swap Henne for Sanchez. I don't see the Dolphins having a better record or the Jets having a worse record. The Jets have a better team around Sanchez than the Dolphins have around Henne.

On OTOH, Bledsoe took the Patriots 5-13 in 2000 and 2001. Brady steps in team goes 14-3, only thing changes is Brady instead of Bledsoe. Can't say Brady didn't have a big part in the teams turnaround and that the team took Brady to the SB. I am not saying that Brady won all those games for the team. But he wasn't the weak link on the team, either.

I hear ya, bc for this one year only, yeah probably QB. But edge rushing DE/OLB is pretty damn close. I still don't want to give up on his long term potential just yet though. I would like to give him another full year after this one.

Bunch of great points in this thread. To use an analogy here, it's like the Jets took out a second mortgage to buy themselves a Ferrari, but every time they try to take that Ferrari above 50 MPH the engine drops out. Either they bought themselves a roach or they need a better mechanic.

:Master of analogies

I don't know that I agree. The Jets can't run or pass block, the RBs suck, the WRs suck. If you could only upgrade one position of course you upgrade the QB position, just because it can affect everything else so much. But a new QB won't suddenly create 100 yard rushers on this team or more time to pass. The receivers won't suddenly stop dropping 8 passes a game and lazily jogging around leaving plays on the field. I think a veteran QB would be able to change this offensive philosophy and get on guys a bit, but who knows if that would even have an effect. Another young QB probably would not be able to have that effect because this is a team of lazy vets with a loudmouth player's coach that won't discipline them and constantly hypes them.

That is why we need better coaching. Allegedly our OC handles the offense, but if that's not the case and the HC is responsible, then he needs to step up. But somebody has to get on these guys for a lack of effort and the fact that they are not focused.

Bunch of great points in this thread. To use an analogy here, it's like the Jets took out a second mortgage to buy themselves a Ferrari, but every time they try to take that Ferrari above 50 MPH the engine drops out. Either they bought themselves a roach or they need a better mechanic.

What mortgage? Josh Freeman, David Veikune, Kenyon Coleman, Brett Ratliff, and Abram Elam? Rates are low.

What mortgage? Josh Freeman, David Veikune, Kenyon Coleman, Brett Ratliff, and Abram Elam? Rates are low.

Not the players/picks invested, but the years. Come hell or high water, Sanchez is going to be the QB here for the next 3-5 years, minimum. Therein lies the mortgage. We better pray Tannenbaum is building on a swamp.

Not the players/picks invested, but the years. Come hell or high water, Sanchez is going to be the QB here for the next 3-5 years, minimum. Therein lies the mortgage. We better pray Tannenbaum is building on a swamp.

You're joking, right? Dude (I use that term loosely) is only under contract for three more years and the last one is for $4M. We don't know the cap situation, so it might not matter anyway.

You're joking, right? Dude (I use that term loosely) is only under contract for three more years and the last one is for $4M. We don't know the cap situation, so it might not matter anyway.

Gah. The nightmare scenario is the one where we have to start over at the QB position. Sanchito has gone backwards, which is so frustrating. I'm praying a change at OC fixes him, but even that involves a considerable time investment while Sanchez learns a new system.

But unless the cap disappears, which it likely will not, the only place it will go is down. His cap figure is insane the next two seasons and the contract was meant to be reopened this offseason to extend him for another few years. Id be surprised if he is not on the team through at least 2013.

Gah. The nightmare scenario is the one where we have to start over at the QB position. Sanchito has gone backwards, which is so frustrating. I'm praying a change at OC fixes him, but even that involves a considerable time investment while Sanchez learns a new system.

There's no point in even trying if you're going to give up midway through a guy's second season. You'll have to trade for or sign a veteran QB, and if those guys are available they usually suck or are just about done. The only exception to this is Brees and he was coming off a career threatening shoulder injury and apparently didn't impress most teams enough to even take a shot at him.

If you want a franchise QB you have to take a risk and then develop him. You don't get instant gratification.

I heart T0mShane. Grinch and all.

There's no point in even trying if you're going to give up midway through a guy's second season. You'll have to trade for or sign a veteran QB, and if those guys are available they usually suck or are just about done. The only exception to this is Brees and he was coming off a career threatening shoulder injury and apparently didn't impress most teams enough to even take a shot at him.

If you want a franchise QB you have to take a risk and then develop him. You don't get instant gratification.

That's it, really. You have said it perfectly. Now if we were signing "quick fixes" like the Favres of the world people would be upset about that. Look it's time to get a franchise QB and develop him, which is what we are doing now. You have to live through the growing pains.

Plus, there's always the "we could have stayed where we were and taken Freeman" philosophy.

He's gone backwards since the start of the season. Not since last year. Two steps forward, one step back.

Archived