New York Jets News and Notes

JetNation

1) Safety Bob Sanders visits- On Wednesday free agent safety Bob Sanders visited with the New York Jets.  Sanders, the Defensive Player of the Year in 2007, was recently released by the Indianapolis Colts after three injury plagued seasons (only played in 9 games).

When healthy Sanders is one of the hardest hitting safeties in the NFL, therefore it makes sense for the Jets to bring him in for a visit. I would not be opposed to the Jets signing Bob Sanders if they could get him to agree to an incentive laden deal.  This type of a deal would end up being low risk, with a potential for a high reward.  The more Sanders produces, the more he gets paid.  As insurance Gang Green can re-sign a player like Eric Smith or Brodney Pool.

2) Jets release TE Hartsock- On Wednesday the New York Jets released tight end Ben Hartsock.  Hartsock was scheduled to make $1.6 million dollars in 2011, which is hard to justify for a blocking tight end.

The Jets are reportedly trying to bring Ben back under a new deal, but that will not happen until a new CBA is put into place.  Hopefully the Jets can add a clause into Ben’s contract that will fine him for stupid/costly penalties.

3) Taylor wants to return- When the Jets released defensive end Jason Taylor there was plenty of speculation that the future Hall of Famer was ready to retire.  Well Mr. Taylor would like to return for another season, and play that season with the New York Jets.  According to several published reports JT informed head coach Rex Ryan that he would like to return, leaving the ball in the Jets court.

I think that Taylor had a solid season with the Jets and would not be shocked to see the team bring him back.  I think a lot will depend on if Gang Green can get Shaun Ellis re-signed.

4) Jets to offer 1-year deal to Jenkins? New York Metro is reporting that the Jets are prepared to offer recently released defensive tackle Kris Jenkins a one-year deal.  This should come as no surprise as Jenkins has openly stated that he would like to return to Gang Green.  In the end it will come down to money and it will be interesting to see what the Jets offer as compared to other teams.

5) Sneak peek of Bart Scott’s wrestling appearance- Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News recently posted a quick blurb from linebacker Bart Scott’s TNA wrestling appearance.  To see the video click here.

di</img>di</img>

EPB5PI6EkDM

View the full article

you guys would not even take a chance on him with a much cheaper deal?

I pretty much never care how much a player does or does not make TR...it's about whether or not the player can bring something productive to the field and lately Jenkins has shown that the heart is willing but the flesh is weak...then again, there's a reason why I'm a mediocre musician and one who is not qualified to be running an NFL franchise.

I pretty much never care how much a player does or does not make TR...it's about whether or not the player can bring something productive to the field and lately Jenkins has shown that the heart is willing but the flesh is weak...then again, there's a reason why I'm a mediocre musician and one who is not qualified to be running an NFL franchise.

I hear you SoFla...To me if Jenks is truly serious about coming back and making an impact it will show in his weight. He should not need a gimmick contest to get into game shape...

I would take a shot on Jenkins in a NY minute...

Isn't it something how some of these vets only want to play for Rex and the Jets. Big departure from Antoine Winfield and John Lynch who refused to play for his son's own godfather

Isn't it something how some of these vets only want to play for Rex and the Jets. Big departure from Antoine Winfield and John Lynch who refused to play for his son's own godfather

Good point Jimmy.

That '98 team overachieved big time.

you guys would not even take a chance on him with a much cheaper deal?

You know what I would like, T? I'd like it if my team went out and scouted a collegiate player, drafted him, and that player developed into a star NFL DT or DE or S instead of having us go out and overpay for busted-up reclamation projects that were just exiled from their former teams.

You know what I would like, T? I'd like it if my team went out and scouted a collegiate player, drafted him, and that player developed into a star NFL DT or DE or S instead of having us go out and overpay for busted-up reclamation projects that were just exiled from their former teams.

Hopefully this year TS-they've done pretty damn good since the bean counter took over...except for Vern and the boar hunter...on edit, yea Clemens...

Hopefully this year TS-they've done pretty damn good since the bean counter took over...except for Vern and the boar hunter...on edit, yea Clemens...

Word. It's hard to argue with the results, but one of these years I'd like to see Tannenbaum put together a volume draft where they end up with 9 or 10 picks and they use them to bring in 4 or 5 legit, long term contributors. Seems to be the way winning teams like the Packers and Steelers do business.

Word. It's hard to argue with the results, but one of these years I'd like to see Tannenbaum put together a volume draft where they end up with 9 or 10 picks and they use them to bring in 4 or 5 legit, long term contributors. Seems to be the way winning teams like the Packers and Steelers do business.

Tommy is back on the depth band wagon.

Weak flesh?

;)

You aren't happy with scouting, drafting a developing a star NFL CB, ILB, C and LT?

Actually Tom this could be one of the most important drafts in recent history for the Jets. With all of the pending free agents Mike T and company will have to fill some holes through the draft.

And I agree I would love to see the Jets get their own guy..a John Abraham type or others.. but lets not forget they did draft guys like Mangold Revis Harris etc

Actually Tom this could be one of the most important drafts in recent history for the Jets. With all of the pending free agents Mike T and company will have to fill some holes through the draft.

And I agree I would love to see the Jets get their own guy..a John Abraham type or others.. but lets not forget they did draft guys like Mangold Revis Harris etc

I hear you, and I agree that (depending on what comes out of the CBA) Tannenbaum could be caught with his pants down if all these guys become UFAs and teams start slinging money around in a shortened FA shopping period. I think that's why we saw Tanny tender all these guys when he did--to cover his bets. If the bottom falls out with the CBA and there's a two week, league-wide fire sale, having Eric Smith and Kellen Clemens on the roster at the end of the day might actually look pretty good.

As for Revis, Mangold, Harris and Brick, that's sort of my point. Brick was the fourth pick in the draft and Revis and Harris came through trade-ups that cost multiple picks to get. Mangold was the pick in there that really showed the Jets' ability to stand pat and get a big player without selling the house. I've never been a fan of building rosters with other team's rejects and free agents. If your championship hopes revolve around getting Bob Sanders and paying Braylon Edwards out the a$$, you probably haven't done a great job drafting and developing, IMO.

I hear you, and I agree that (depending on what comes out of the CBA) Tannenbaum could be caught with his pants down if all these guys become UFAs and teams start slinging money around in a shortened FA shopping period. I think that's why we saw Tanny tender all these guys when he did--to cover his bets. If the bottom falls out with the CBA and there's a two week, league-wide fire sale, having Eric Smith and Kellen Clemens on the roster at the end of the day might actually look pretty good.

As for Revis, Mangold, Harris and Brick, that's sort of my point. Brick was the fourth pick in the draft and Revis and Harris came through trade-ups that cost multiple picks to get. Mangold was the pick in there that really showed the Jets' ability to stand pat and get a big player without selling the house. I've never been a fan of building rosters with other team's rejects and free agents. If your championship hopes revolve around getting Bob Sanders and paying Braylon Edwards out the a$$, you probably haven't done a great job drafting and developing, IMO.

I completely agree with you...even though everyone hates the Pats look at all of the draft picks they have..even though they may bomb on some they will continue to incorporate young players on the cheap. I hate veteran band aids as much as the next guy..I truly think the Jets sold their soul last year to win the SB and now may suffer with all of the free agents

Anyway you look at it the Jets nucleus is young. And this is the foundation that they drafted:

Sanchez

Green

Keller

Brick

Mangold

Moore (was he drafted)

Slauson

Vlad

Cotchery

Ellis

Pouha (drafted?)

Harris

Revis

Wilson

I am sure there are more, that is 14 of your 22 starters right there. So if you fill in Bob Sanders around those guys and get some depth, I think the drafts have been pretty good in recent years. All we can do is hope that Gholston was on Mangini (I am not buying it personally) and they have no more misses like that...

The only true way to keep having a competitive team is to build a roster through smart draft picks.

I don't know about that anymore Frank. I agree you need young players but the game seems to be changing, with the uncapped year last year and (if there IS a season in September) probably another couple until they sort this CBA mess out. Also, we didn't pay big bucks for any of the guys we signed the last year. JT was a couple of mil, LT too, Edwards was a steal-Holmes too. Combine all the money we paid those guys in comparison to what we paid Gholston...

As for Revis, Mangold, Harris and Brick, that's sort of my point. Brick was the fourth pick in the draft and Revis and Harris came through trade-ups that cost multiple picks to get. Mangold was the pick in there that really showed the Jets' ability to stand pat and get a big player without selling the house. I've never been a fan of building rosters with other team's rejects and free agents. If your championship hopes revolve around getting Bob Sanders and paying Braylon Edwards out the a$, you probably haven't done a great job drafting and developing, IMO.

So you're suggesting Tannenbaum should have drafted Revis at #25 and Harris at #63? lol Tannenbaum's trade-up for Revis was facilitated by Tannenbaum's trade-down the prior year. In other words, it was probably a wash. And at #63? 2007 was supposed to be a really weak draft class in the mid-later rounds. You're supposed to trade up in those if you can (within reason); you trade down in deeper drafts to accumulate picks. Trading down in weak drafts just accumulates camp fodder.

So even with the benefit of hindsight, tell me which players the Jets realistically could have (or would have) taken at #63 and #89 and #164 that would have been better than trading up for David Harris instead of just flinging mud against a wall with complaints that are baseless in their specificity. For all you know, absent any draft-day trades, the Jets would have ended up with Harris at #25 (roughly the area most thought he'd get taken and clearly the Jets liked him plenty), Matt Spaeth at #63, and Clint Oldenburg at #164 (and subtract Chansi Stuckey).

Check. Your move.

The most important draft was 2009. If that one turns out we are golden. If it doesn't we are ****ed. We seem to be out of the ****ed stage, but we still have a way to go to be golden.

I completely agree with you...even though everyone hates the Pats look at all of the draft picks they have..even though they may bomb on some they will continue to incorporate young players on the cheap. I hate veteran band aids as much as the next guy..I truly think the Jets sold their soul last year to win the SB and now may suffer with all of the free agents

What exactly have these draft picks provided that I'm supposed to be impressed with? Brandon Tate has done less than Brad Smith or Leon. McCourty has looked better than Wilson, but the Pats pass D isn't exactly stellar. What about the rest of these studs? Other than the TEs I haven't seen anything. I'd just as soon get LT or Taylor for a year or two and get another guy when necessary. Those guys haven't exactly been expensive.

The only true way to keep having a competitive team is to build a roster through smart draft picks.

They have been pretty competitive the last few years. I have no complaints. All the whining about "depth", but then people want to call depth guys busts. Vlad, Wilson, Eric Smith, Connor. Those guys are depth, but people want to complain about our scouting because they aren't starting on a stacked team.

People went into this season wanting Golden Tate in the draft. Can you imagine if they'd drafted him and didn't get Holmes? Everybody would be squawking about the bust. I'd rather have Holmes for one year with some nameless vet or UDFA than Golden Tate + a 5th rounder that everybody was going to whine about not getting on the field.

Anyway you look at it the Jets nucleus is young. And this is the foundation that they drafted:Moore (was he drafted)

Pouha (drafted?)

Pouha was a 3rd pick under Herm. Everybody was bothered by it because he was old - he had to go on some kind of mission before he got out of school and he didn't provide much until Rex got here. He didn't do very well two gapping under Mangini, but he looks very good now. Moore was an UDFA that moved from D-line and spent time in the Euro league.

You know I suck at Checkers, you son of a bitch.

Great post, and I will attempt to refute it later when I have some time to do some research, which generally gives me nosebleeds. Prepare to be bedazzled.

Is this a throwdown between Sperm and Tom Shane- this could be interesting.

"Well Mr. Taylor would like to return for another season, and play that season with the New York Jets. According to several published reports JT informed head coach Rex Ryan that he would like to return, leaving the ball in the Jets court."

I am wondering how Dolphin fans feel about that!

JT their pride and joy for so many years now only wants to play for the JETS!. :yes:

"Well Mr. Taylor would like to return for another season, and play that season with the New York Jets. According to several published reports JT informed head coach Rex Ryan that he would like to return, leaving the ball in the Jets court."

I am wondering how Dolphin fans feel about that!

JT their pride and joy for so many years now only wants to play for the JETS!. :yes:

Who in their right mind would want to play for the Miami Dolphins.

So you're suggesting Tannenbaum should have drafted Revis at #25 and Harris at #63? lol Tannenbaum's trade-up for Revis was facilitated by Tannenbaum's trade-down the prior year. In other words, it was probably a wash. And at #63? 2007 was supposed to be a really weak draft class in the mid-later rounds. You're supposed to trade up in those if you can (within reason); you trade down in deeper drafts to accumulate picks. Trading down in weak drafts just accumulates camp fodder.

So even with the benefit of hindsight, tell me which players the Jets realistically could have (or would have) taken at #63 and #89 and #164 that would have been better than trading up for David Harris instead of just flinging mud against a wall with complaints that are baseless in their specificity. For all you know, absent any draft-day trades, the Jets would have ended up with Harris at #25 (roughly the area most thought he'd get taken and clearly the Jets liked him plenty), Matt Spaeth at #63, and Clint Oldenburg at #164 (and subtract Chansi Stuckey).

Check. Your move.

I blame John Madden and EA Sports.

Check. Your move.

Hi. I'm not knocking the Revis or Harris trade-ups specifically. I love those players to great, obsessive lengths and I am super-thrilled that they're on my team. My major complaint is with Tannenbaum's apparent philosophy of treating draft picks like pocket change, burning multiple picks to get one player. I don't believe that's the path to a Super Bowl. For instance (and here's where I did research), over the last three years the Jets have made a total of 13 picks, obviously landing some very good players. Over the same period of time, the Steelers made 26 picks and the Packers made 24 picks. Obviously not all of those picks made those rosters, but volume drafting added quantity and depth and increased their margins of error on those picks and padding their rosters with young, cheap talent. Instead of dealing around to land big-money free agents like the Jim Leonhards and Bart Scotts of the world to fill holes, (or traded for pricey now-FA's like Cro, Edwards and Holmes) these teams invested their time and money on drafting and development and made it work. Now, if Tannenbaum and the Jets win a Super Bowl with their formula then kudos to them, and I'll end up with a dumb-sh*t tattoo on my body because of it. I'll be interested to see how the CBA nonsense works out and if it allows the Jets to retain Holmes and Braylon, etc. If not, the lack of draft picks over the last three years becomes an issue immediately. IMO, Tannenbaum needs to put together more drafts like his '06 one, where they hauled in ten guys, many of whom contributed and are still contributing (Brick, Mangold, Brad Smith, Eric Smith, etc.). That's all I was saying. I think.

Archived