Santonio singing a different tune

Kentucky Jet

Santonio now says he’ll take a wait-and-see approach with the Jets

Posted by Mike Florio on April 9, 2011, 2:51 PM EDT

APLast month, free-agent receiver Santonio Holmes let it be known that he plans to sign a new deal with the Jets. This month, he’s singing a slightly different tune.

According to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, Holmes says he’s taking a “wait-and-see approach” to his future with the team. Holmes also said he won’t sign a restricted free agency tender, if the 2010 rules end up being applied again in 2011. Instead, he wants a multi-year deal.

Holmes also said that he’ll be skipping workouts that quarterback Mark Sanchez has scheduled for California in May, due to “family/personal” reasons.

Holmes was traded to the Jets last April after incurring a four-game suspension for violation of the substance-abuse policy. He possibly will be an unrestricted free agent, if the ultimate rules for 2011 place the threshold at five or fewer years.

I said from the beginning, while I hope the Jets keep both, Edwards is likely going to be a lot easier of the two to keep. He's clearly much more committed to staying with the Jets, would likely be the cheaper of the two anyway and sounds open to even take a discount to stay.

I think people are blowing this out of proportion. I think both Edwards and Holmes will take less to stay in NY. But like Holmes said, we just gotta wait and see.

What part of that article gave you any inclination he's "willing to take less to stay in NY"?

If anything its the complete opposite teh Falcon!

Archived