Cimini: Jets Seek help for Red-Zone Woes

flgreen

Jets seek help for red-zone woes

May, 12, 2011

May 12

10:43

AM ET

By Rich Cimini

During one of the many, many stops on his book tour, Rex Ryan mentioned that former Colts offensive coordinator Tom Moore -- now apparently an independent consultant -- visited the Jets' facility and spoke to the coaches about improving their red-zone efficiency.

At least the Jets are willing to address their shortcomings. They were woefully inadequate last season inside the opponents' 20, scoring only 20 touchdowns in 50 drives -- a poor 40-percent success rate. The lowpoint, though not reflected in the stats, came in the AFC Championship Game, when they failed to score on four straight plays inside the Steelers' 3.

Only the Rams and Panthers were worse last season in the red zone, but at least they can say they played with rookie quarterbacks.

What's the Jets' excuse? You can't blame it on a shortage of talent. They have two outstanding red-zone targets in Braylon Edwards (6-3) and Dustin Keller (6-2).

You also can't blame it on the running game. The Jets averaged 3.32 yards per carry in the red zone, fourth-best in the league, according to an in-depth analysis by SteelerDepot.com.

So what, then? Based on the stats, Mark Sanchez (47.7 percent) must improve his accuracy. Completion percentages drop inside the red zone because the field is smaller and everything is congested, but the number needs to be better than that.

Edwards also hit on something last week when talking to reporters in Southern California at "Jets West." Looking back on 2010, he said, "There were a lot of games this year where I felt I could've made more plays, being 6-4, 215, 220 ... It's about utilizing my abilities and talents and the matchups a little better."

He's right. Edwards caught only five passes in the red zone, which is hard to believe. Some of that falls on the offensive coordinator, Brian Schottenheimer, who must do a better job of creating mismatches.

No doubt, the Jets will improve as Sanchez continues to develop as a quarterback, and give them credit for seeking the opinions of an outside source. Under Moore, the Colts always ranked among the top red-zone offenses. Of course, it helped that he had some guy named Manning at quarterback.

Here's a breakdown of the Jets' red-zone performances from 2010, according to the Elias Sports Bureau:

PASSING

Sanchez ... 31-for-65 ... 47.7 pct ... 166 yards ... 8 TDs ... 1 INT ... 87.5 rating

RUSHING

Tomlinson ... 28 carries, 61 yards ... 2.2 apc ... 4 TDs

Greene ....... 18 carries, 61 yards ... 3.4 apc ... 1 TD

RECEIVING

Holmes ...... 7 catches, 54 yards ... 7.7 apc ... 3 TDs

Keller ........ 7 catches, 29 yards ... 4.1 apc ... 4 TDs

Tomlinson .. 7 catches, 27 yards ... 3.9 apc ... 0 TDs

Edwards .... 5 catches, 38 yards ... 7.6 apc ... 2 TDs

Greene ...... 3 catches, 22 yards ... 7.3 apc ... 0 TDs

Cotchery ... 3 catches, 9 yards ..... 3.0 apc ... 0 TDs

Some of that falls on the offensive coordinator, Brian Schottenheimer, who must do a better job of creating mismatches.

Some? Change that to "Nearly all", Cimini. We have OUTSTANDING red zone guys in Edwards, Holmes, and Tomlinson. The majority of the problem is scheme, not personnel. The rest of the blame falls on Sanchez.

Any old offense can pick up yards in between the 20's, which we did a solid job of doing this season. Red Zone offense is when coaches make the big bucks.

Why don't they just hire Moore?

On the other hand I could have looked good as the OC with Manning as QB.

The only reason Manning is where he is today is because of the offensive system he was put in, designed by Moore.

I like how it's not an issue of talent...because talent is the only thing that plays into how good a player is on the field. Braylon Edwards is as talented a WR in the league yet:

Edwards also hit on something last week when talking to reporters in Southern California at "Jets West." Looking back on 2010, he said, "There were a lot of games this year where I felt I could've made more plays, being 6-4, 215, 220 ... It's about utilizing my abilities and talents and the matchups a little better."

And it's not as if this is an elite WR who's production has dropped under the reign of the tyrant, Schittenheimer.

*Breathes it in * Mmm teh smell of a Schitty thread.

BTW: In typical hack fashion from Cimini, this story was already done a good two weeks ago.

Why don't they just hire Moore?

On the other hand I could have looked good as the OC with Manning as QB.

Someone might have already mentioned this, as I'm late to the thread... but Moore has wanted to retire the past 2 years and Peyton has talked him out of it. I don't think hiring Moore is a realistic option.

i dont get all the schotty hate. he runs a pretty good system and the offense went from 20th in 2009 to 13th in 2010.

he's a young coach that seems to be improving.

its funny his dad Marty got fired after a 14-2 season once, something about this family....

there is no doubt Schotty would get another NFL job in a nanosecond... and he's on every HC short list.

there is no doubt Schotty would get another NFL job in a nanosecond... and he's on every HC short list.

Right - O ... he racked up enough air miles from all the interviews this off season to get a free GPS in his next car rental ...

Thats a load of crap. His stock has dropped, as it should, as he has NOT DONE ANYTHING of positive distinction in his time of being a "really sharp OC"

But ... we know ... he hasn't had the right QB at the same time that he's had the right receivers but was missing the right tailbacks but he didnt have the right offensive line ....

yada yada yada blech.... Intercourse him. The only reason his dopey azz is still around is a.) theres not a clear cut replacement that isn't a similar bum and b.) it's probably not a good idea to thrust a complete new offense on Sanchez even if the old one requires every consultant available to try and come up with a way to score from the red zone. But that's on the players... right?

^^ So true so true...he's done nothing the past two years to raise his stock...sure he's been the OC of an offense that's made it to the AFCCG two years in a row, but mostly he did it by riding on everyone else's coattails as he actively tries to lose games.

How dare you close by trying to blame the players for their play. They're only professional football players for um...intercourse's sake.

Archived