Bassett: A Jets Free Agency flight Plan?

flgreen

A Jets Free Agency Flight Plan?

By Bassett on May 18, 2011, 9:05 am

cro-smoke

While we wait, and wait, and wait for the next part of the offseason to start (anything) here’s a quick rundown of some of the priorities that the Jets have as they look towards free agency (whenever that may be).

1. Line ‘Em Up At Receiver

Here’s how the current under contract receiver depth chart looks: Jerricho Cotchery, Patrick Turner, Jeremy Kerley, Logan Payne, Scotty McKnight. Expect the Jets add at least either Holmes or Edwards back, but I think they can afford to add both back if they want. Other names that I wouldn’t be surprised hearing the Jets linked to in no particular order? Randy Moss (TEN), Chad Ochocinco (CIN), James Jones (GB), maybe Terrell Owens … and how about one more? Don’t sleep on Chansi Stuckey (CLE), who is now an UFA and whom the Jets drafted and traded away in the package for Braylon Edwards. Stuckey’s productivity flagged at the end of last season, but the Jets liked him enough to develop him, and there’s little chance that the new regime in Cleveland will place much value on him. He’s familiar with the Jets system, and could come in and be productive as another possession receiver.

2. The Revis Islands Archipelago

Contrary to some of KC Joyner’s assertions a year or so back, the corner across from Revis matters. The better the player, the better the Jets secondary, the less essential the pressure package, the more likely teams are to throw back at Revis, the more freedom the Jets have in help/zone coverage schemes…. it all matters.

As we saw, while Cromartie works best on a type of receiver (non-physical deep threats) he was a much superior corner than Lito Sheppard was in 2009, and the Jets need to do their best to bring Cromartie back into the fold. Cromartie is on the record as saying that he wants to be in NYC, which is wonderful, but the Jets are going to need to show him a contract that makes sense for him, super agents Tom Condon and Ben Dogra, and his many paternity payments.

If retaining Cromartie is the goal, the Jets have one thing going for them: that there’s a glut of high-level CBs out there like Nnamdi Asomougha, Jonathan Joseph, Chris Houston or Ike Taylor along with a number of pretenders to the throne like Phillip Buchanon, Chris Carr, Drayton Florence, Ellis Hobbs, Lito Sheppard, Fabian Washington and Brian Williams. Oh and don’t forget that Nate Clements could be cut by the Niners.

3. Leave No Stones Unturned in the OLB Market

High end pass rushers are extremely hard to come by, and while sometimes players can come available in a 3-4 to 4-3 switch that might not otherwise come available, there’s not a lot of talent in the DE or OLB ranks that stands out, at which the Jets could realistically make a run. Maybe the Jets go for a situational pass rusher, but then in that case they might just try and bring Jason Taylor back, as he’d be cheap, knows the system, and while not the same player he once was, is still a gamer.

I do think that the Jets could be looking at Jamaal Westerman this year to see just what he can become. Can he contribute more regularly? Can he secure his place on this roster? 2011 will likely be his best shot at establishing that he belongs in the rotation.

4. If the Cro Flies, Go Safety

Once Kerry Rhodes was traded in 2010, the strength of the Jets safety unit became run support. When Jim Leonhard went down with injury in 2010, the coverage abilities of the Jets remaining safeties were exposed. With Leonhard and Pool, the tandem was the most versatile grouping. With anything else, it was clear what the Jets were going to do with whom, something that Ryan couldn’t afford with some lackluster pressure packages. The Jets did their best to rally after the blowout by the Patriots, but Leonhard’s lack of presence on the field, showed just how thin the team’s coverage abilities were. While Dwight Lowery stepped in admirably at times, it was Brodney Pool whom stepped up. Pool was especially notable in the divisional and championship games. According to PFF, Pool finished fourth among all safeties in coverage.

The Jets need to slow-play Pool into free agency, who should be a sleeper to many teams in free agency. Of course Pool wants to capitalize on a good 2010 season, but with bigger fish at his spot (like Eric Weddle and Dawan Landry) if the Jets can keep him hanging around for a few days while they sort out their receivers and Cromartie situations, bringing him back at a fair deal would be a big plus for the Jets heading into 2011.

5. Tackle the Tackle

It would stand to reason that the Jets would want to put Ducasse into the lineup as a starter in 2011, but if the Jets are serious at making a run at the title, then a run-heavy team, relying on an untested player to be the team’s mauling point of attack has to come into question. Maybe the Jets go for someone who they feel can back up Ducasse, and/or step in should the need arise. In that regard, Damien Woody could make sense, but he would come back on the cheap, and I’m sure Woody would want some gentlemen’s agreement that he’d be the starter … which the Jets might hesitate at promising.

Not bad.

He grossly overrates Pool IMO. Pool wasn't that good and was always hurt. Another decent safety is fine. If it's not Pool, I don't care.

I like stuckey too, but the two draft picks seem like slot guys, so stylistically I don't see him coming back.

I'd make tackle a priority. They lost their #2 and 3 OTs and added nothing. Makes me nervous. I may be the only one, but I would like to bring Woody or Hunter back.

WR has to be a top priority if you want Sanchez to continue to develop into a franchise QB. Look at the success with Edwards-Holmes-Cotchery you cant insert slugs and expect the same results. You know this I know this Tanne knows this.

this piece uses alot of names but it projects little

how's this for a plan:

• keep the franchise tag on David Harris
  • let Cro get his 10+ mil somewhere else
  • sign whichever WR is cheaper probably Braylon
  • let basically everyone else walk
  • best avail free safety in FA

assuming there's a cap, I don't see a whole lot of room for an OLB pass rusher, RT starter... etc. there's gonna be change next year.

with all our fa i was kind of surprised at what we picked in the draft. which leads me to believe that we'll be sighing a lot of our own players back. I don't feel like we're going to make a big fa agent siging. maybe a different safety to replace pool or one to add to our depth. what kind of pass rushing guys are out there right now?

I can never tell whether you're trolling or serious when it comes to Mike T. This guy has assembled a tremendous squad. I don't know why you would be upset about that.

I'm not wild about mikey t. either--though I know I'm in the minority. Just always thought he bought other team's talent at the expense of pissing away draft picks leaving us with rented stars and no depth. This is why we paid so rediculously for Calvin Pace and Bart Scott and Kris Jenkins and Brett Favre and others.

this piece uses alot of names but it projects little

how's this for a plan:

• keep the franchise tag on David Harris
  • let Cro get his 10+ mil somewhere else
  • sign whichever WR is cheaper probably Braylon
  • let basically everyone else walk
  • best avail free safety in FA

assuming there's a cap, I don't see a whole lot of room for an OLB pass rusher, RT starter... etc. there's gonna be change next year.

They need to have a couple plans in place. One for the 2010 rules, and one for the rules similar to the years before it. The 2010 rules make it easier to sign Holmes and Cro, but also completely ties their hands if they want anyone else's free agents - unless or until they lose a big money guy like Braylon.

They don't seem to put a premium on the safety position, but they do with CB. I think Cro is a going to be a pretty big priority for them. I don't think they'll break the bank to keep him, but they will look to be competitive with offers if he hits the open market. Without Cro, if Revis is hurt for any period of time the defense is in a world of hurt. Jets lack any other top talent at CB or in the pass rush department.

Archived