Set up and synergy

Jack_D

So what roles do you all think are basic roles?

What roles do you think work best for balance in a game?

I think the godfather needs to be retired. A symp is a much more fair usage of the innocent viewing scum. Where I play, even when the symp dies their report shows them innocent. I think they are better because the mafia stand a shot at taking one them out also.

GF has been pretty standard over here, but I agree it couldn't hurt to give it a break. If nothing else, so that end game EVERY time you don't read "OMG THEY MAY BE GF THOUGH!!!!!111!!"

As for standard aside from that...obviously your cop/doc, usually one of a tracker/watcher, and about half the time we see a roleblocker. I've never actually seen a game with a counter to the SK (like the arsonist/firefighter combo) but before this past game I'd never seen coroner :D, and I like new unused roles. It's been a good ways since we had a "vanilla" game, with mostly roleless townies. That may be the best way to combat the drive everyone up to reveal plan (other than allowing no reveals, obviously).

I wish there were more survivor roles around, honestly. Of course that's mostly because I want that second shot :D

making gf non standard would be good, but would make it more deadly..

i'm a big fan of watchers and tracketrs and having scum have to decide who submits the nk

i feel most games around here are pretty balanced, we haven't had real blowout in a while..

i'm a big fan of watchers and tracketrs and having scum have to decide who submits the nk

i feel most games around here are pretty balanced, we haven't had real blowout in a while..

well those two were balanced two...the scum teams were simply G.O.A.T. worthy ;)

Yeah. I think any time there is a finder, there needs to be an innocent viewing scum just to break up the game if the finder hits a lucky streak.

I like the use of watchers and trackers. I also love the flavor cop role.

How do you balance in a symp?

In a 16 person game; I'd expect 4 scum, 12 townies. Make one of those townies a symp, and that's out of balance. Subtract one scum and make them 3 + 1 symp, that's a little better, but I'd probably give scum an extra role to help them out.

In that game with 25% scum, I'd give the town a cop and a doc and call that balanced. From there I'd add and subtract roles to keep it balanced. Give the town a watcher? Give the scum a tracker. Give the scum a symp? Give the town a vig. Etc. I think as games get larger, that 25% figure no longer works. Five scum in a 20 person game is a lot and tough to beat. I'd go to four and give them an extra role for balance purposes.

Watchers, trackers, roleblockers, bulletproofs, extra votes, etc., are all common here. I've been the godfather so many times that I'd miss it if it were gone, but I certainly get why people don't like the role. My least favorite is the lie detector. I think it's a game of lying, and the puzzle should be to figure out who's lying and who's not.

How do you balance in a symp?

In a 16 person game; I'd expect 4 scum, 12 townies. Make one of those townies a symp, and that's out of balance. Subtract one scum and make them 3 + 1 symp, that's a little better, but I'd probably give scum an extra role to help them out.

In that game with 25% scum, I'd give the town a cop and a doc and call that balanced. From there I'd add and subtract roles to keep it balanced. Give the town a watcher? Give the scum a tracker. Give the scum a symp? Give the town a vig. Etc. I think as games get larger, that 25% figure no longer works. Five scum in a 20 person game is a lot and tough to beat. I'd go to four and give them an extra role for balance purposes.

Watchers, trackers, roleblockers, bulletproofs, extra votes, etc., are all common here. I've been the godfather so many times that I'd miss it if it were gone, but I certainly get why people don't like the role. My least favorite is the lie detector. I think it's a game of lying, and the puzzle should be to figure out who's lying and who's not.

Well a popular way in a 16 player game is 4 scum and a symp. Role up the town and vanilla the mafia. The symp will know the mafia and if the mod reveals they were a symp upon death then you can work backwards and figure out the mafia team. The mafia also stands a shot at killing their own symp.

I think mafia is a game if lying also. As you all can probably tell, I lie when scum, I lie when town. I find it makes the game more fun.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm definitely a sticker for balance. I want a game to play out and be down to player ability. The scum already has a big advantage because of the communication. If I mod a game and it doesn't make it to day 6 I consider that a failure.

Archived