Kellen Clemens Future

TNJet

Yes, because the plan was for Clemens to replace Pennington in the starting slot at some point in the near future, in which case you would have Clemens, (3rd year) starting, Pennington, (veteran) as backup and Ainge, (rookie) sitting on the bench and learning. Then the next year Pennington either returns as backup or departs, in which case we pick up another aged veteran as second string for a year. The next year Ainge would be a third year veteran and should be capable of being a backup, assuming he shows enough to stay on the team for three years.

That's one possibility, but I think it's more that these guys are like Ron Woolf. Get a QB every year and hope to strike gold. Dump the sh*t as you go along. Remember, they also brought in Tuiasosopo (sp?). Everybody is a direct threat to everybody. Even Ratliff. Hell, if they didn't trade him for Sanchez he would have been fighting Clemens for a roster spot. I'm doubt if they'd asked for Clemens instead of Ratliff it would ahve been a deal breaker. Clemens isn't gold and he's been around long enough, so it's time to go.

I eat breakfast in the same thread as 20 nerds who are trained to kill me

Out smarting 20 nerds is easy for you, but how do you eat breakfast in a thread without setting off The Crusher's Bacon Sense, and causing a total meltdown?

I've always been a fan and liked his cannon of an arm and toughness. What happens next with him since Sanchez is obviously our guy and Rex has taken Grampa Brunell in favor over Clemens. Whats your thoughts? does he get a chance on another team? Stay with us for the minimum for a chance at a ring?

If he can't play #2, or 3 with us I don't care what he does.

I was actually talking about Roger Clemons. What are you guys reading?

From Wikipedia:

William Roger Clemens (born August 4, 1962), nicknamed "Rocket", is a former Major League Baseball pitcher who broke into the league with the Boston Red Sox ...

:lol:

Last season Clemens got:

option 1 of taking a pay cut or

option 2 being cut and trying to catch on with a new club

His future:

He will not be given option number 1.

Wasn't much of an option since this choice it was first presented to him 9 days before the first game of the season.

His real choice was:

option 1: take a pay cut but your reduced salary will be guaranteed for the season.

option 2: hope some team adds you next year or enough QB's get injured early enough so you can make a couple bucks as a #3 QB on random weeks in 2010. Further, you don't get to see if any other teams will actually be interested since this offer expires in a few hours. Oh and by the way there may not be time to adequately try out with someone next year, if there's a season at all.

With no salary cap and no cap repercussions beyond 2010, no matter what Clemens or the Jets decided, it wasn't one of my proudest moments as a Jets fan. This wasn't a situation where it could affect their ability to sign anyone in future seasons. And I understand not paying a #3 QB $1.1M or whatever it was. But it's shady to pull that crap on August 31st.

Hopefully closing this loophole for teams is one of the things that gets resolved in the new CBA. If you're going to tag a player who is not under contract - and effectively prevent him from seeking work elsewhere -and that player signs the 1-year tender, then that tender should be guaranteed. An even more outrageous situation would be if a team didn't even offer option 1 that Clemens got, which is (or was) within their power. They could realistically tag a guy for spiteful reasons, for the top RFA amount requiring a #1 and a #3 compensation, and then simply cut him on the last roster cut-down day 10 days before the first game of the season. Even if that player - like Clemens last year - was added by someone else, that new contract would be of the un-guaranteed, week-to-week variety due to it being signed after the final roster cut-down day.

Archived