Giants Training Camp -Also In NJ

Maxman

Looks like the Jets won't be the only ones holding training camp in NJ this year:

The New York Giants announced today that because of logistical and timing restrictions resulting from the league's current ongoing labor negotiations, they will not hold training camp this summer at the University at Albany, their camp venue since 1996. They will conduct this year’s camp at their permanent home here at the Timex Performance Center.

07-08-camp-article.jpg

“We have notified President (George M.) Philip and Dr. (Lee) McElroy at the University at Albany, as well as Mayor (Gerald) Jennings, that we will not be holding training camp there this summer,” Giants President and Chief Executive Officer John Mara said. “In light of current circumstances, it simply became impractical for us to hold camp away from home. The University at Albany and the Capital Region has been a great summer home for us for 15 years, and we have every intention of returning there in 2012.”

The Giants’ 15-year stay at UAlbany is their longest at one training camp site in the 87-year history of the franchise. Before moving to Albany, they spent eight summers at Fairleigh Dickinson University in Madison, N.J.

“While I was disappointed when John Mara called me this morning, I fully understand the Giants’ decision,” said University at Albany President George M. Philip. “We have a strong relationship with the team and have enjoyed hosting their summer camp for the past 15 years. We will miss the vibrancy and excitement the Giants would have once again brought to the University and the region this summer. We wish them luck in the upcoming season and look forward to their return in 2012.”

The Timex Performance Center, the Giants’ state-of-the-art complex which opened in 2009, has three grass fields, a turf field outdoors and a full-sized indoor field.

“John called me this morning to let me know of the team’s plans, and I certainly understand and respect the decision,” said Albany Mayor Gerald Jennings. “We have had a great relationship with the Giants organization for 15 years, and my office and our city look forward to this season and to welcoming the Giants back next summer.”

The NFL lockout has been in place since March 11. The owners and players continue to negotiate, but even if an agreement is reached within the next week, the Giants have too little time to transport equipment, weights, medical supplies, etc. and to organize the transportation of players – many of whom are not currently signed – to Albany. Head coach Tom Coughlin and his staff also feels that, after missing an offseason with the Giants players, their time will be more efficiently spent at the team's home base.

In all seriousness, this is sad news for Albany and Cortland. If you've never been to Cortland, it's a sleepy, depressed little town with a state college in the middle of it. Where the Giants hold their camp in Albany, while a little better off economically, is a similar situation. A bunch of mom and pop restaurants and bars are really going to feel the hurt from this. And if it was all so the owners could recoup 3 or 4 percentage points on revenue, it'll be a crying shame.

In all seriousness, this is sad news for Albany and Cortland. If you've never been to Cortland, it's a sleepy, depressed little town with a state college in the middle of it. Where the Giants hold their camp in Albany, while a little better off economically, is a similar situation. A bunch of mom and pop restaurants and bars are really going to feel the hurt from this. And if it was all so the owners could recoup 3 or 4 percentage points on revenue, it'll be a crying shame.

Those folks can blame the players too.

After all, they were the ones that decertified as a union and sued the owners. Try suing your employer and see if they let you in the door the next day.

Who is that ugly girl in your avatar?

Those folks can blame the players too.

After all, they were the ones that decertified as a union and sued the owners. Try suing your employer and see if they let you in the door the next day.

If I owned a business, you'd be my first hire.

Fan spending does not exist in a vacuum. Money that doesn't get spent in upstate NY will now get spent in northern NJ.

Fan spending does not exist in a vacuum. Money that doesn't get spent in upstate NY will now get spent in northern NJ.

Northern NJ already contains some of the wealthiest suburbs in the entire country and their per capita earnings are likely double what it is in Cortland. It's great that the shops and restaurants in Florham Park will get a boost, but places like Cortland, Albany--not to mention the remote areas that these other teams go to (assuming they're also cutting bait)--could use the money moreso than the metropolitan areas that most teams headquarter in or near. It's just a drag and an unfortunate side effect of the whole mess. What makes it worse is that it looks like it could have been avoided if the lockout ended this week instead of next week. Seven days changes where all those dollars ended up.

Northern NJ already contains some of the wealthiest suburbs in the entire country and their per capita earnings are likely double what it is in Cortland. It's great that the shops and restaurants in Florham Park will get a boost, but places like Cortland, Albany--not to mention the remote areas that these other teams go to (assuming they're also cutting bait)--could use the money moreso than the metropolitan areas that most teams headquarter in or near. It's just a drag and an unfortunate side effect of the whole mess. What makes it worse is that it looks like it could have been avoided if the lockout ended this week instead of next week. Seven days changes where all those dollars ended up.

Who put it to you to choose which local economies are worthy and unworthy of people spending money in? It's ok if it helps or saves a store-owner upstate but not ok if this helps or saves a store-owner in Florham Park? Says you.

The Jets and Giants are under no obligation to move their training camp way upstate. Frankly I was surprised the Jets ever went up there at all after Woody built that high-tech Taj Mahal of practice facilities.

Who put it to you to choose which local economies are worthy and unworthy of people spending money in? It's ok if it helps or saves a store-owner upstate but not ok if this helps or saves a store-owner in Florham Park? Says you.

The Jets and Giants are under no obligation to move their training camp way upstate. Frankly I was surprised the Jets ever went up there at all after Woody built that high-tech Taj Mahal of practice facilities.

You're the same guy that would have thrown Jimmy Stewart off the bridge in It's a Wonderful Life. You soulless bastard.

The Hangar has no sleeping facility. Better to get the team away from all the distractions like family and NYC.

Farleigh has plenty of dorm rooms right across the street from the Jets facilities. I am sure they could do that if they wanted to...

Farleigh has plenty of dorm rooms right across the street from the Jets facilities. I am sure they could do that if they wanted to...

Yeah, they could and the guys that don't live around here will most likely stay there but he really needs to build some housing on site, then again about ten of them could stay at Big Woods' house its for sale. Some time back the Giants held camp at FDU for a couple of years.

And quickly.

Not only quickly, Apache, but where the money should be spent, right here in the Garden State. With all due respect, the Jets are in Jersey now and not required to subsidize Upstate NY. Anybody got a problem with that?

You went up to Cortland last year? I was gonna go, but Max said my presence there would destroy the site.

Liar.

I asked you to go and even offered to give you a $12 gift card to Doug's Fish Fry.

You went up to Cortland last year? I was gonna go, but Max said my presence there would destroy the site.

I did, just for the day/night on a Saturday. The whole town seemed to circulate around the Jets...bars were pretty crowded at night too. It definitely had a throwback feel to it- a pro team having a full training camp in the middle of nowhere.

Just isnt something that would seem as enjoyable in upper NJ.

Archived