What is Santonio Holmes Value?

JetNation

helmet.gif

Recently wide receiver Santonio Holmes has been garnering headlines as several teams, mainly the Washington Redskins, reportedly are very interested in the flashy playmaker.  The free agent receiver will be looking for a huge pay day, which begs the question what is Holmes’ value on the open market?

Well Jason Fitzgerald from NYJETSCAP.com did a tremendous job analyzing the Holmes contract situation and offered this insight:

We are probably looking at a 5 year contract with a guarantee somewhere in the range of $18 million and cash payouts of $28.5-30 million in the first three years of the deal. The total value of the contact will be around $42.25 million. Because of the drug issue this will probably be a more complex contract than some of the other deals the Jets have signed. It will probably preclude the Jets from using option bonuses or straightforward roster bonuses in the deal. Most likely the Jets will need to pay larger salaries or signing bonus money up front so that they can get the money back in the event of a violation and then use a second prorated bonus in year 3 after Holmes proves he can “stay clean”.”

This is some very interesting information from Jason as he obtained his numbers by comparing Holmes to several other receivers including Roddy White, Reggie Wayne, and Greg Jennings (I strongly recommend that you read Jason’s analysis).  Now the next question is  should the Jets offer Santonio this type of contract? Holmes brings a lot to the table in terms of his explosive playmaking ability and route running, but was somewhat inconsistent with his hands.  For every great catch that he made, he dropped an easy third down grab.

This is truly a tough call for the New York Jets, a team that will have to use their cap space wisely as they have approximately 17 free agents to deal with.  What do you think about Holmes value Jets fans? Discuss in the JetNation forums.

di</img>di</img>

93MXmLpaq0I

View the full article

Jason is, indeed, a pimp. I'm really starting to wonder just how sad the Jets would be if Santonio went somewhere else for big dollars. I think it's apparent he's going to the highest bidder--do we want to get into a bidding war for one player who, while very good, isn't exactly Jerry Rice?

Jason's the man. Have him break down what Braylon Edwards contract will look like, and I'll get back to you as to what the Jets should do. Thanks.

http://nyjetscap.com/edwardsvalue.php

Short story: Edwards is a higher end number 2 and should not be paid like a 1. Likely value: 6 years 36.5M 13-14M guarantee, 19-20M in cash payouts in the first 33 years. High Value: 6 years 41M same guarantee, maybe an extra million or 2 in the first three years. The high value deal is what I would expect a team like the Rams, desperate for a WR, would throw at him. Maybe even a little more to entice him to leave NY.

http://nyjetscap.com/edwardsvalue.php

Short story: Edwards is a higher end number 2 and should not be paid like a 1. Likely value: 6 years 36.5M 13-14M guarantee, 19-20M in cash payouts in the first 33 years. High Value: 6 years 41M same guarantee, maybe an extra million or 2 in the first three years. The high value deal is what I would expect a team like the Rams, desperate for a WR, would throw at him. Maybe even a little more to entice him to leave NY.

I was going to say that's an old one. I'm surprised Slats didn't remember it. We were fighting over that one (Kevin Walter! Nate Washington!) for a couple of weeks. As always, great job.

So your looking at roughly 13-14 million in cap to sign both, and for all you guys who want Cro he will cost 10 mill on the open market. I say let Cro walk I trust Rex with less talent then Mark or Schotty that is for sure. Figure reworking Sanchez's cap number and signing Harris to a long term contract plus cutting ways with Pace and or Thomas should open up enough space to fit both and sign the lower level role players.

This will mean that a lot of young guys will have to really step up like Westerman Wilson and Cole just to name a few and could back fire, but like I said I trust Rex. Would you rather a young secondary or a WR core of Cotch Kerley and Turner? Gotta sacrifice somewhere I say on D.

^Yeah I agree. Our defense clearly isn't the problem on our team and Rex is a defensive genius, so even with less talent our D should still easily be top 5. We need to ensure our offense builds more chemistry with Sanchez, and I feel a large part of this is to keep both Edwards and Holmes. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of strong defensive teams, but you can't win without scoring on a consistent basis, and both of those guys together provide a much bigger threat than they do alone.

Archived